IGNORED

For those less than full swing shots from 60-80 yards or so ...

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Generally a 51* gap wedge. But to Erik's point, I hit an 8-iron from 75 yards today.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Playing with my 60 degree wedge. I presume that this wedge is generally for fairways, approaches or hard packed sand? It seeks like I need to come in shallower than even my U wedge in my I20 set. I played with getting out of deep rough and it's really hard to do. How would you guarantee that you only hit 40 to 80 yards with a full swing choked up club?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

From a tightish fairway lie I'd use my 52* GW.  From a fluffier rough lie I'd use my 56* SW.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Depends on whether you want to go the "feel path" or the "grid path."

Some people rely the feel path , a single club for all their shots, say, inside 80 yards. Maybe a 54*, whatever works. You just vary it for different distances.

For the grid path , you look up Dave Pelz and the Shortgame Bible . I didn't go full-Pelz , but I did borrow some useful suggestions. Make up a grid like the one below (most use either three or four wedges).

To get the yardages, go to the range on a still day and get the OK to hit partial shots with the balls you use when you play. Then, hit five shots for each cell of the grid, and take the average distance. (Throw out any chunk or skull shots). This gives you your yardstick. Recheck the distances for one swing range ever so often to see how consistent you are.

Swing--> Quarter Half 3/4 Full
PW 34 62 90 120
GW 28 54 80 108
SW 24 48 72 94
LW

I laminate a small yardstick card and clip it to my bag.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I played with getting out of deep rough and it's really hard to do. How would you guarantee that you only hit 40 to 80 yards with a full swing choked up club?

Controlling distance out of deep rough is tough for anybody with any club. Part of the problem is gaging how far the ball might be sitting above the ground. With a 60 it's very easy to get under the ball and only hit it with the top edge of the club. IMO using a 60 out of deep rough is a shot for highly skilled players, and they mess them up too.

There are different ways to control distance on less than full shots. Some have success with limiting the backswing like WUTiger posted. Some have success with choking down on the club.

Neither work very well at all for me. I just look at the target and hit the ball hard enough to get to the target. No different than if I was trying to throw a ball in a barrel from 40 yards and then another barrel from 60 yards.

I'm old school in the fact that when I started playing there weren't choices in wedge lofts like there are now.  The hand me down clubs from my Dad had no pitching wedge or sandwedge, so I learned how to open the face of the 9 iron and vary the length of swing to hit the distance or height that I needed.  The pitching wedge I use today is the first one I ever owned and from using it all these years, I know what I need to do from certain distances.  So for me, my go to club from 100 yards and in is that old trusty pitching wedge.

I'm old school in the fact that when I started playing there weren't choices in wedge lofts like there are now. ...

Back in the early 1980s, we had PWs and SWs. At the time, I took lessons from a pro down in Oklahoma who had me do quarter swing and half swing for all my clubs from SW down to 7i.

This worked pretty well for about two years, but then I had a couple of seasons when I couldn't play much, and lost the touch.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Anything from a 7-iron to a 60° wedge.

Like this depending on the lie or obstructions, amount of green, etc.   Yesterday I had a 60 yard shot that I had to hit low.  I used a 6 iron and chipped it for a bump and run under some tree branches.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

... what is your stock club ?     I've tried a full lob wedge, and the super high ball flight seems unnecessary for these shots.     I've been working on my 54° sand wedge, with better, but still inconsistent results.    I'm not talking the 30-40 yard pitch shots; just the shots where you can't take your full swing and have to limit the backswing and take 50-75% of full power - these are probably my most difficult to get the distance right.   Curious what everyone else uses for their go to stock club ?

I do not have a "go-to" club, instead I use all of my wedges based on the situation. My children gave me Dave Pelz's, " Short Game Bible " a number of years ago. I follow many of his techniques for those shots that are 60 to 80 yards, and it has made a positive impact on my game.  I have also shared the book with my friends, and it has helped them, as well.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

If the shot is 60-70-80-100yds.....................it depends on the pin position and the wind.   I may play completely different shots with different clubs depending on the situation.    There Is no correct answer......just hit the shot!! .....and don't screw it up..LOL

IE...from 60yds....I may fly it to the hole with loft, or I may skip it in low......it just depends on the wind and pin position.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I use anything from a 7I to LW.  I try to "drop" the ball on the front edge of the green and let it roll to the hole.  I never was a good "artillery gunner" like Phil.  Of course sometimes you can't do that and then you're forced to do the "throw it to the hole and hope it stops quickly" shot (also known as the get it over the bunker/lake and long is better that short shot).

Butch

Note: This thread is 3821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!