IGNORED

How many keys (5SK) to really start enjoying golf?

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To me seems like you need 4 of the 5.     Very few average players keep the left wrist flat & flip through impact.     Can still play decent golf, but nowhere near their potential...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
~~To me seems like you need 4 of the 5.

Four out of the five keys mastered to enjoy golf? Really? According to the chart, that would mean we'd all have to be scratch golfers - which, at least, might speed up the average round.........

Chris.:roll:

Four out of the five keys mastered to enjoy golf? Really? According to the chart, that would mean we'd all have to be scratch golfers - which, at least, might speed up the average round.........

I thought he meant 4 and 5 which would give you path and face, although path and face ain't worth much if you're plowing into the turf a foot behind the ball...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

................Which I read as 4 out of the 5 keys, not keys 4 & 5. But, hey, semantics can be a real cow............ :loco:

From what Eric has written elsewhere, ( http://thesandtrap.com/t/55426/introducing-five-simple-keys ), I believe the keys tend to be progressive, so that mastering key 1, makes it easier to get key 2, and so on. Be somewhat impossible to have numbers 4 & 5 nailed, without some control over 1, 2 & 3.

I have to have a video of a swing to even make a reasonable guess how well I did on different keys. The only things I would be able to predict with any accuracy without a video are that I wouldn't ever be very satisfied with most of the keys if I would have had it on video, and the grades would rarely be the same for all clubs through the bag. In other words my keys come and go as they please, just like my golf game...So they match up perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3putt View Post
Quote:
~~To me seems like you need 4 of the 5.

He didn't say master all 4. You need to be able to do all of the keys to some extent.

1- 60%

2- 40%

3- 30%

4- 10%

5- 10%

1.5 keys should be good enough to play decently enough to get near the greens.

Just started to video with a 30fps camera, and am seeing more fat on my stomach than I would like. It does help in pushing the weight forward. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:
~~He didn't say master all 4..........

But that's what I thought this thread was about - how many keys do you have to have, (i.e.. mastered ) in order to enjoy the game?

Even the first time beginner is going to have the odd shot where they demonstrated some of the keys, or some of each key. And that one good shot maybe enough for them to really enjoy the game, on that day. ~~So, yeah, it's different for each person. But my understanding of this thread is that you're asking how many keys do you consistently need, in order to enjoy the game - and 4 keys seems a bit high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3putt View Post
Quote:
~~He didn't say master all 4..........

But that's what I thought this thread was about - how many keys do you have to have, (i.e.. mastered ) in order to enjoy the game?

Even the first time beginner is going to have the odd shot where they demonstrated some of the keys, or some of each key. And that one good shot maybe enough for them to really enjoy the game, on that day. ~~So, yeah, it's different for each person. But my understanding of this thread is that you're asking how many keys do you consistently need, in order to enjoy the game - and 4 keys seems a bit high.

I see. That might be part of the confusion.

I should have explicitly said it in here rather than expect people to look at the other thread. Oh, well.

So, how many keys do you have? (not mastered, of course)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:
~~So, how many keys do you have? (not mastered, of course)

Ah, so now you ask the difficult question!! :hmm:

Probably about 2.5. Like you, I'm concentrating on the first 3 keys. I'll give myself the following:-

Key 1. Head steady - 0.8

Key 2. Weight Forward - 0.4 (this is the biggy for me at the moment)

Key 3. Left wrist flat - 0.6

Key 4 Swing Path - 0.4

Key 5 Clubface control - 0.3 (I tend to close the clubface at impact - can still (sometimes) enjoy the shot, even if it flies left of target. :-D ) I think that getting key 2 more consistent will help here, and also with number 4.

Thanks for asking!!

Fully agree with Mike that journey is more important/fun than the destination.   I think one can enjoy golf at any key level.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Fully agree with Mike that journey is more important/fun than the destination.   I think one can enjoy golf at any key level.

Definitely not with a 0.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Definitely not with a 0.

I don't know about you, but when I started playing golf, I probably had 0 keys. If I didn't have fun, I wouldn't have bothered to get better, I would have just quit.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/72105/how-many-keys-5sk-to-really-start-enjoying-golf/36#post_945621"]   Definitely not with a 0. [/QUOTE] I don't know about you, but when I started playing golf, I probably had 0 keys. If I didn't have fun, I wouldn't have bothered to get better, I would have just quit.

I agree here. I was terrible when I first started. Still had fun.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I don't know about you, but when I started playing golf, I probably had 0 keys. If I didn't have fun, I wouldn't have bothered to get better, I would have just quit.

^^^ this... i fell in love with the game the very first time i picked up a club... 130 some odd strokes later, i couldn't wait to play again... i'll probably get hammered for this, but here's my story... interestingly enough, once my handicap got under 10 (lowest i ever got was a 6, not exactly studly, i know), i actually began to enjoy the game less and less... i was so focussed on "score" that i only ever remembered the bad shots, and i'd walk off the course frustrated and mad... one day i thought to myself, "why am i paying all this money and committing all this time just to get myself upset?" and i put my clubs away and didn't take them out for 4 years.... finally a buddy of mine talked me into getting out and playing with some friends of his... they play "combat golf"... much to my surprise, i had the best time i had in a LONG time... i could barely get the ball in the air and had no clue where it was going to go, but it didn't matter... we just whacked the ball, went and found it and whacked it again, and never wrote a number down... nobody agonizing over bad shots, no preshot routines... behind a tree? they foot wedge it out... etc. 4 of us got around the course in 3 hours and 15 minutes, and it was a blast... the conversation in the bar afterwards was illuminating as well, as we marvelled over the (few) good shots and laughed our butts off over the (many) putrid shots... now they get me out every couple of weeks, and i have a great time... i know many would consider this to be "not real golf", but it is a lot more "fun" than when i did play "real golf" (although i stay away from the foot wedges :-) )... so "for me", "playing better" actually lessened my enjoyment of the game to the point where i stopped playing, and "playing worse" has made it fun again... all because i stopped caring about a "number" and just cared about having a good time with friends... ymmv, etc.

Looking back, "really start enjoying golf" was probably not the right statement.

I guess once I got approximately 1.5 keys worth of skill, I really started enjoying the game. I felt like I was actually playing golf rather than simply knocking balls around the course. It was a really noticeable difference for me because I had virtually 0 keys prior.

Prior to the keys, my day to day ball striking skills fluctuated greatly. One day I would hit great, the next I would hit horrible. This was not enjoyable, but I kept going back hoping to discover the reason for the good days.

Now I enjoy playing more, even when my score is not that great.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

What is this "enjoying golf" that you speak of? :-X

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Here's an interesting question: Would that mean someone with all 5 couldn't not enjoy golf?

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

What is this "enjoying golf" that you speak of? :-X

I think it's a SoCal thing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!