IGNORED

How many keys (5SK) to really start enjoying golf?

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's an interesting question: Would that mean someone with all 5 couldn't not enjoy golf?

Probably not. That would be boring and you don't even get to see all parts of the golf course.

A playing partner and I were on our way home from a course one time and I mentioned how hard some of the shots out of the rough were at that course. After I said it I realized that he had almost no first hand experience of hitting a ball out of it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this "enjoying golf" that you speak of?

I think they may be referring to the 19th hole

Here's an interesting question: Would that mean someone with all 5 couldn't not enjoy golf?

Doesn't look like he's having a good time ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think a +1 handicapper would most likely enjoy the game. Otherwise, would he be spending 5 to 10 hours a day doing something not enjoyable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

What is this "enjoying golf" that you speak of?

I think it's a SoCal thing.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rib you "winter depression" folks. We also have weather conditions that disallow us to play, gets too hot sometimes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Probably not. That would be boring and you don't even get to see all parts of the golf course.

A playing partner and I were on our way home from a course one time and I mentioned how hard some of the shots out of the rough were at that course. After I said it I realized that he had almost no first hand experience of hitting a ball out of it.

He would get to see them, just not play from them. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Doesn't look like he's having a good time

What a beautiful setting! :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Shit that is a 300+ dollar Fujikura golf shaft. NO!!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think that's his ADDI8 from graphite design. I think he's gone back to Diamana for the most part this year but this pic looks like last year.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I think a +1 handicapper would most likely enjoy the game. Otherwise, would he be spending 5 to 10 hours a day doing something not enjoyable?

Tongue in cheek ...

If I were a +1 handicapper, I don't think I would enjoy golf that much and may even quit.  All par 4s will be like driver, wedge, two putts with occasional birdie and bogey thrown in.  All par 3s will be green or near green followed by two putts or chip and putt (again with occasional birdie or bogey thrown in).   Golf will be boring.  I had 10 on one hole today.   It was simply an adventure .  Can +1 handicapper say that? :-P

End of toungue in cheek.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Tongue in cheek ...

If I were a +1 handicapper, I don't think I would enjoy golf that much and may even quit.  All par 4s will be like driver, wedge, two putts with occasional birdie and bogey thrown in.  All par 3s will be green or near green followed by two putts or chip and putt (again with occasional birdie or bogey thrown in).   Golf will be boring.  I had 10 on one hole today.   It was simply an adventure.  Can +1 handicapper say that?

End of tongue in cheek.

Okay, you got me there.

Still, I would love to be in that position on all my local courses.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 8 months later...

In my opinion, in order to have fun you need to make decent strokes. It depends on you on how great you want these shots to be, but in order to improve you need to want something decent. For me, if I do more than 30 points, is enough, at least not to feel bad. The problem is that sometimes, you are not able to make a good contact, and it seems like you´ve forgotten everything you learnt. This is the worst part of playing golf in my humble opinion. If you learn to play guitar, you play it at a certain level most of the times (surely always). Golf doesn´t work this way… You have to understand this or you are going to have some really bad days.
Going back to the topic, I working now in the #1 and #2 keys, in order to reduce my 20 handicap. IMaybe when I achieve them both, I will enjoy the game, but now it only happen a few times. This is my truth....

:nike:

Totally.  The "angry golfer" I'm most familiar with is exactly like this.  Every round is "the worst round I have played in a really long time!!!!!!!!' ... when, in reality, its is exactly the same as every round you've ever played because you are a horrible golfer who doesn't practice, has no keys, has no course management skills, and has expectations that you'll shoot a better round than you've ever shot.

Argh!!

Either accept that you suck and don't care to change that and enjoy the fresh air, or STFU and get your ass to the driving range and practice!!!!!!

WOW! what a hard words ! I must say that I feel identified with the angry golfer you mention...However I try so hard to don´t get angry anymore at the course, but sometimes it´s really dificult. I train, but maybe it´s not enough or I must change my method.... who knows :blink:

For me, it was enough keys to make solid contact with the ball on a consistent basis. I'm only hitting about 33% of my GIRs lately, but when I miss, it isn't because I topped or chunked it 40 yards.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

WOW! what a hard words ! I must say that I feel identified with the angry golfer you mention...However I try so hard to don´t get angry anymore at the course, but sometimes it´s really dificult. I train, but maybe it´s not enough or I must change my method.... who knows

Yeah, he was a little harsh, not sure where that came from because it's not @Golfingdad 's normal personality.

In general, just know your current limits, and practice. Don't act like you can play better than you do, and you'll probably improve.

For me, it was enough keys to make solid contact with the ball on a consistent basis. I'm only hitting about 33% of my GIRs lately, but when I miss, it isn't because I topped or chunked it 40 yards.

This is really true. If you don't top or chunk a ball, it still feels good. :beer:

Even a well hit shank is better than topping 40 yards. :whistle:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 9 months later...

I´m re-reading LSW, and see the graph with the number of keys and the handicap you have (both related). Every time I see this graph I think it´s amazing, and I think that I am doing something wrong! If you make the two firsts keys you are able to have handicap aorund 14, or something like that... and I´m struggling with my 17,8 handicap !! Will start again with the firsts keys...

I don't know, with any certainty, exactly what the 5SKs are. I do have an idea what they might be, but  I never bothered to look them up.  However, I am going to assume that anyone who plays most of their rounds in 80s has at leas 2, or 3 of the 5 keys, rather they know them or not.

As for enjoying the game, I could shoot a 100 and still enjoy playing just as much as when I break 80. Everytime I go out to play, I can usually find myself with a shot that is new to me. I meet new folks, some of which are pretty interesting people. When I play, I am the offense, and Ma Nature, and the course itself are the defense. If I hit my own personal par of 80, then I gained a draw. More than 80 and I lost. When I break 80 then I got a few over on the defence. I have even played against the course (and weather) using a match play format. I usually lose, but it's fun.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 3195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!