IGNORED

Get Off the Darn Range and Go Play Golf

iacas
Note: This thread is 3231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At this point in the season, I'd be happy just to get TO the range!  Tuesday night into Wed., 6" more snow.  Yesterday another 5" of the thick wet slushy stuff that froze overnight.  My league starts Thursday.  Mon and Tuesday look like possible days I could go to the range for some practice.  Weather turns bad again mid-week and back to 20+ degrees below normal temps.

Why do I live in NE Ohio?  What a moron.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm glad I agree with iacas ... I play a whole lot of golf.     I realize I need dedicated practice on certain parts of my game, which I need to dedicate myself this year.    But I am glad to hear someone in the know say it's ok to golf a lot and not get carried away with digging the dirt on the range.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

• Administrator

I'm glad I agree with iacas ... I play a whole lot of golf.     I realize I need dedicated practice on certain parts of my game, which I need to dedicate myself this year.    But I am glad to hear someone in the know say it's ok to golf a lot and not get carried away with digging the dirt on the range.

Well, to be clear, I'm saying that there's a balance. The vast majority of golfers should spend more time practicing if they want to improve (again, if they're happy shooting what they shoot, more power to them!, and I'm glad they enjoy golf - this stuff doesn't apply to them!). This article was aimed at people who spend too much time at the range trying to make their swings "too perfect" rather than functional.

In other words, there's a lot to be learned by playing golf, just as there's a lot to be learned by working on your swing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

I prefer to be on the course, not the range. Since I started recording my swing this spring, I decided it's time to fix it. I only have 3 full rounds in this year, and it's definitely hurting my scores. I'm looking at my time on the range as an investment. It's a little scary to play because I can tell that old habits want to creep in on the course.

- Shane

I hit the range a lot. Almost always before a round to get the swing going. I am always working on my swing because I feel like I should be better than I am so I am also always on the range during the week. I have also played 37 or 38 rounds this year so I golf a lot too.But I have a full blown addiction and golf is too expensive to play 5 days a week or I probably would. So the range is a good fix.

Also now that I got a camera where else am I going to record my crappy swing to post on here so folks can help me be a scratch golfer. Might look funny setting up a tripod on the fairways while people wait.

James

I may have to break down and "find the balance" by hitting the range. It's just so boring to me to stand there hitting balls on the range, plus it never seems to translate to better play on the course. It could just be that I'm not "practicing with a purpose" like I should. I need to get an updated swing video uploaded so I can get some drills to practice on the range so I can make good use of it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
I may have to break down and "find the balance" by hitting the range. It's just so boring to me to stand there hitting balls on the range, plus it never seems to translate to better play on the course. It could just be that I'm not "practicing with a purpose" like I should. I need to get an updated swing video uploaded so I can get some drills to practice on the range so I can make good use of it.

Because… you're just standing there on the range hitting balls. You're not actually changing anything, or working on anything. Exactly.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Because… you're just standing there on the range hitting balls. You're not actually changing anything, or working on anything. Exactly.

Rofl, calling me out on what I called myself out on? Unfortunately I can't get anyone to go to the range with me to record my swing, everyone is too busy with sports now. I may have bribe them with a stop to get ice cream on the way home or something.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator

Rofl, calling me out on what I called myself out on? Unfortunately I can't get anyone to go to the range with me to record my swing, everyone is too busy with sports now. I may have bribe them with a stop to get ice cream on the way home or something.

Well, to be fair, you didn't quite "call yourself out." You said it was boring, and the results didn't translate. And… you don't need to record your swings to practice effectively. I don't record many of my swings. Occasionally at the start, sometimes at the end, and a lot of the middle is filled with doing drills that I know will work well for me.

You likely have to find a way to make the range important enough to you. For me, knowing that I got even a little bit better that day is all I need. If I can make 50 "better" swings, I'll have improved, and that's exciting.

Well, to be fair, you didn't quite "call yourself out." You said it was boring, and the results didn't translate. And… you don't need to record your swings to practice effectively. I don't record many of my swings. Occasionally at the start, sometimes at the end, and a lot of the middle is filled with doing drills that I know will work well for me.

You likely have to find a way to make the range important enough to you. For me, knowing that I got even a little bit better that day is all I need. If I can make 50 "better" swings, I'll have improved, and that's exciting.

I meant record my swing to upload to get advice on what to work on. I did say I'm not "practicing with a purpose". The problem is I'm not sure what exactly to work on. I suppose I could work on just the basics. Target alignment and distance from the ball. My contact with the ball has been pretty solid lately, even been able to hit my 4 iron pretty consistently. My main problem has been a really big sweeping draw or, less often, a high push fade. I was thinking those may be partially due to inconsistent setup to the ball.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I've been at the range quite a bit - on the golf course about 1 per week, preferably full-18.

- my iron swing feels like it's quite acceptable to me, this sounds funny because I'm still a high capper, but occasionally I'm just crushing the ball with my irons

- my mishits have gotten fewer with irons and wedges, only occasional tops, or slices (weird huh, my beginner error slice soemtimes happens occasionally with irons)

- my hybrids are working quite well really, especially 24deg Callaway hybrid. I'm hitting that sucker 200+ yard at the range consistently.

- I'm practicing like 50 balls with driver only, doing drills and practices, but it doesn't work at all... all my balls become duck hooks, low altitude. Or if it goes straight, then my driver becomes extremely low altitude punch shot fade.

sounds like I could use some driver practice with instructor guidance huh? I'm just so frustrated when I can't hit anything except duckhooks with the driver... Literally about 9/10 of my shots are duckhooks and 1/10 is low altitude punch shot fade. :mad::pound::cry:

I could use some driver practice with instructor guidance huh? I'm just so frustrated when I can't hit anything except duckhooks with the driver... Literally about 9/10 of my shots are duckhooks and 1/10 is low altitude punch shot fade.

Stick with this:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The golf gods must agree with you. I just got a high speed camera and went to the range yesterday at a course I play a lot to film my swing only to find out the range was closed. So they let me play for an hour and half for free. So got 9 in with 2 balls. How awesome.

James

Ha Ha!

I've had the reverse thoughts plenty of times when on the golf course.  Watching a group of golfers hacking it left, right, long, short, fat, thin, off trees, in lakes, in bunkers, in bunkers again.... I've wanted to scream "Get off the damn Course and Go Practice Golf!!"

• 1 month later...

I've never been a huge fan of the range, thus I don't spend much time there. When I do go to the range, I spend most of my time at either the sand trap/chipping green or on the putting green (I'm actually confident with 3-5 footers for once!). I try not to hit balls for more than like 15-20 minutes, because after that I just sort of lose focus and aimlessly hit the ball. Why go to the range for an hour when you can play an actual round of golf for not much longer than that (nine holes, of course)? Hell, if I'm lucky and no one is behind me, I'll just hit another ball anyway.

-Rich

• 1 month later...

I couldn't agree more. I learnt that a beautiful swing on the range means nothing when putting a score together on the course. When I started playing amateur tournaments I often got lots of compliments about my swing on the first tee. But reality hit me when every week I posted scores placing me dead last. The older guy with a scrappy swing always seemed to win. He knew how to score. To stay consistent. To always hit the fairway and to never 3 putt.

I still love going to the range as its like a different game into its self. But it was only with playing more real golf that I managed to truly improve and eventually grind out a tournament win.

Note: This thread is 3231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!