IGNORED

Bye Bye strokes, your thoughts on plus handicaps

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 6062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got my revision today from GHIN and I am officially a scratch golfer. On the heals of 68, 68, 72, 70 in my last four tournament rounds my index came to me today at 0.0 . Pretty cool since that was my goal for the year.

Next, god forbid, I guess is a + index. I personally think plus handicaps are crap since I think it is ridiculous to have to give the field strokes just because you are good. My beliefs are you should get to 0 and then stop. Its tough enough playing scratch against some guy getting 8 pops but to then have to give up additional strokes makes it near impossible to beat him. Your thoughts?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with you on that matter. There should be a limit at which you have to sacrifice for your ability.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

Congrats on meeting your goal! Nice shootin'.

To thie topic at hand:

I would imagine that at a low/scratch/plus handicapper, one would be playing more tournaments for the Gross Division prize rather than the Net Division.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Congrats man. I'm so close to that scratch goal that I can taste it.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

I would imagine that at a low/scratch/plus handicapper, one would be playing more tournaments for the Gross Division prize rather than the Net Division.

True, but I do play in a few net tournaments at my club. I am afraid I will now get my a$$ handed to me by the higher handicaps.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Back in the early 80's I had a +2 handicap, and it killed me in handicap tournaments. It's definitely a disadvantage against someone with a mid-high handicap.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

First, congratulations. You have my utmost admiration.

The purpose of the handicap system is to allow players of differing skill levels to compete on a "level" playing field, whether those players are better-than-scratch or not. Cutting off the system at zero would be arbitrary and would defeat the purpose of that system. Finally, as a scratch or near-scratch golfer, you've already been giving strokes to most of the golfers out there. As you continue to improve, you may find yourself giving maybe one or two more. Sounds fair to me.

Live by the handicap. Die by the handicap.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

I agree with you 100%. Even though I'm not in your league I can see what your saying. In my opinion everyone that has a single digit handicap (a true single digit player that is capable of playing to his handicap) has the "potential" of going low (gross), making him/her almost untouchable on net.

There is a kid in our region that plays on the BSU team off a +5.4. I'm pretty sure he's not thinking net when he shows up and local events. I played in the same tournament as him a few months ago (different flight of course) and it was almost funny watching the scores go up showing him as shooting a gross 64, net 69 on day 1, and 68 - 73 on day 2. He must have had a bad day on Sunday

That being said, I would love to be in his shoes!!!

Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

I only somewhat understand the concept of handicap, and I've never been in tournaments or anything like that so I don't know how it's used in them. Though, I can discern from the previous posts that it's pretty simple.

Anyway, that would suck if you had to add points to your net score for a tournament just because you went sub-scratch.

p.s. I get my handicap by greenskeeper.org and filling in the score and course rating/slope, so I'm not just making it up. Maybe I should learn what a handicap even means eh? haha

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

• Administrator
True, but I do play in a few net tournaments at my club. I am afraid I will now get my a$$ handed to me by the higher handicaps.

That's likely always been the case. The low handicappers almost never win in net competitions.

If a player shoots 10% below his handicap, that's not even a half a stroke for a 3-handicap, but it's three strokes for a 27-handicapper. Low handicappers almost never win net. You should know that. It shouldn't be a surprise and you shouldn't really be competing (or entering) net competitions. Personally, I'm in a weird spot myself. My handicap is low enough that I get put in the gross division(s), but not low enough that I have any chance to win. Yet in net, I get my clock cleaned even if I shoot below my handicap a stroke or two.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have an idea. For net tournaments, play everything at 80 percent of your handicap, 50 percent if you're better than scratch. That will lean the advantage - slightly - toward lower handicappers but still give the hacks a shot if they have a good day.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Wow....Scratch! Congrats!!!

That's like being a Rock Star....it will never happen for me!

I don't play in those tournaments...obviously not in that league or belong to a club. I would say just enjoy your accomplishment, and not sweat the rest....

Erik, do you have an estimate of the percentage of golfers (tracking handicaps) that are scratch golfers??? Its got to be less than 2%!

Anyway, congrats! I'm trying to officially become a "bogey" golfer....and I'm almost there!
In My Datrek Bag:

Driver: R9-460 9.5°
Woods: Burner 15°
Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

That's likely always been the case. The low handicappers almost never win in net competitions.

I agree with this. It is harder for a low handicap to win against a higher one. This has always been the case. I always love it (not) when a 36 shoots 99 for a net 63. The other side of the coin would be scratch versus tour. You would need a couple a side. Congratulations!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator
Erik, do you have an estimate of the percentage of golfers (tracking handicaps) that are scratch golfers??? Its got to be less than 2%!

http://www.usga.org/playing/handicap..._handicap.html The USGA says 0.68%.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Man, a plus handicap would be incredible. I hope to someday achieve such a feat, but I don't think I have the mental toughness to do it.
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

Here, Here! Raise your glasses!!! WOW!!!

That's an amazing feat of dedication, hard work, skill AND mental toughness!!
In My Datrek Bag:

Driver: R9-460 9.5°
Woods: Burner 15°
Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

Congrats man. I don't agree with your handicap arguement, but I understand your point of view.

You should be proud to be in the top 1%
The best feeling in golf is a long walk with a putter - Greg Norman

In my Atlas Bag
FT-3 9° - Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 63S
X-Tour 3 Wood 15° - TT Stiff MP-60 Irons 3-PW - DGS300 2 Up MP-T 51° 56°(10)/60°(4) Vokey SM Oil Can Studio Style Newport 2 V1xHome Course Bear Slide

Note: This thread is 6062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!