IGNORED

What is your definition of slow play?

WatchOutLeft
Note: This thread is 3230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A few days ago I walked 9 holes solo.  There was 2 guys in front of me in a cart, playing the black tees.  I waited on several holes while watching them search through the rough trying to find a ball and they both took forever on every green.  I'm not real sure on the etiquette in that situation.  Is it on me to approach them and request they let me play through or should they have noticed I was waiting on them on pretty much every hole?  There was an older couple behind me that was held up as well.  More than once, I was waiting at the tee box while the guys ahead searched for a ball.  The older couple behind me, who were also walking, met me at the tee and waited for me to tee off.

I haven't really encountered these situations much since I've only played for the last 2 years.  Very irritating though.  I think I'll go back to playing in the afternoon when I have the course to myself and can walk 18 in 3 hours.

I always thought that the etiquette puts it on the slow party to invite the faster party through. After a few recent rounds where I never received my invitation, I'm planning to be more proactive the next time. I'll give them a chance to do what they should. The second time, I'm asking. Let's hope there isn't a third time.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always thought that the etiquette puts it on the slow party to invite the faster party through. After a few recent rounds where I never received my invitation, I'm planning to be more proactive the next time. I'll give them a chance to do what they should. The second time, I'm asking. Let's hope there isn't a third time.

I've always had the same understanding, its up to the slower group to invite those behind to play through.  The problem is that many people don't understand this, or don't quite know how to make that invitation.  Others don't really even notice that there are people waiting behind them.  I've taken to accidentally-on-purpose tapping my driver against a tee marker or otherwise making noise to get noticed.  In the old days when golf bags lay flat on the ground, tapping on the bottom of the bag was like hitting a drum, very effective.

The problem in PeteK's situations is that you don't naturally get close enough to ask to go through, and I don't have a great suggestion for you.  I would, however, suggest that if you can join up with other people, like asking the twosome behind you to join up, it might make the waiting more bearable.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'm currently playing in a 2-man better ball tourney at Barefoot Love Course. 9am shotgun start. It's now 10:50am and we have completed 4 holes. Just 4 holes in 2 hours.

I've always had the same understanding, its up to the slower group to invite those behind to play through.  The problem is that many people don't understand this, or don't quite know how to make that invitation.  Others don't really even notice that there are people waiting behind them.  I've taken to accidentally-on-purpose tapping my driver against a tee marker or otherwise making noise to get noticed.  In the old days when golf bags lay flat on the ground, tapping on the bottom of the bag was like hitting a drum, very effective.

The problem in PeteK's situations is that you don't naturally get close enough to ask to go through, and I don't have a great suggestion for you.  I would, however, suggest that if you can join up with other people, like asking the twosome behind you to join up, it might make the waiting more bearable.

I definitely agree with your point there.

One of the most enjoyable rounds I ever had was behind a group of complete idiots. Basically a group of 5 of us had jammed up behind these goofs. I guess we were all of the mindset to just have fun, so we played the back nine together. We chatted, laughed at the guys in front of us, drank beer and even hit a few balls.

Obviously, you can't have that every round, but it made that particular day a lot more fun.

I'm currently playing in a 2-man better ball tourney at Barefoot Love Course. 9am shotgun start. It's now 10:50am and we have completed 4 holes. Just 4 holes in 2 hours.

Holly crap. I'm sorry.

Over here it's pretty simple although many (often seniors I have to say) don't understand the etiquette as laid down by The Royal and Ancient.

Basically there is no requirement for there to be a clear hole ahead of you, if a player or group behind is playing faster than you, you should wave them through regardless. Secondly a single player on the course has the same priority as any group. My clubs go further and stipulate that just because you are in a competition that does not excuse you from the above basic etiquette.

The fact that single players on the course have the same priority as groups isn't understood by 99% of the seniors I've bumped into on the course as it wasn't always the case. It changed some years ago though to cater for the fact that golf is a sport as well as a past time and many players are out shooting practice rounds and don't actually want to go at the pace of the 4 old boys ahead of them out for their weekly afternoon stroll.

Sorry for the mini rant but my record for standing on a tee box was on a long par 4 to watch 12 shots being taken including 2 lost balls searched for. I didn't drive over/through them although I got extremely close on the second lost ball.

Best quote I've had though was from a group of ladies a few weeks ago who I had followed for maybe 10 holes and who informed me they didn't have to wave me through as they had all tee'd off before I got to the tee box. I informed them politely that they with talking utter rubbish and suggested they learn the etiquette of the game.

I don't mind slow play one bit. What hacks me off is when people don't follow the basic etiquette of the game so it effects other people.

Pete Iveson

I remember last year catching up to a guy playing alone (his wife was driving the cart but wasn't playing.)  Ahead of us was a twosome playing fairly slow.  The guy tells me that he was in the pro shop behind them but got to the first tee before them (he had a cart and drove past them as they walked to the tee).  They argued with him that since they paid first, they got to tee off first.  For whatever reason, the guy didn't fight too hard and was stuck behind them for 9 holes (a league was on the other nine.)

So remember, how I caught up with him?  Once the fairway was clear, the guy teed off, hopped in his cart, said, "take it easy", and drove away!  So here's a seemingly nice guy, complaining about a slow twosome ahead and  I didn't even have the chance to say, "mind if I join you to ease the time delays".   Then I caught back up to  him on the last tee box and for whatever reason the guy offers to let me play through... on the last hole!?

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

My definition of slow play is really not being nice to your fellow golfers behind you.

*  If you have people in front of you, and there is no room, no need to let people play thru.   But don't waste time and take the attitude that since you don't have anywhere to go yourself that you can waste time, hit extra balls and not play a normal pace because the people behind you are going to wait anyway.   Don't make people wait un-neccessarily.

*  If you have room in front of you and you don't wave people thru who are faster, then there is something wrong with you.   I don't mean half a hole, I mean more than 1 hole.   There is no excuse for holding up people who play faster.   One way to minimize the time waiting is to have people hit up, then while they are coming up the group being played thru hits their shots, then they all walk to the green.

*  If you have room in front of you, and you waste time sitting texting in your cart before driving off the hole OR look for balls (not the one you hit) while people are waiting behind you OR looking at a putt from 4 sides and then missing OR taking several practice swings w/ multiple shots from the same position while I am waiting on you then you need to take a dirt nap

The third one happened to me two weeks ago.   Arrogant, obnoxious, deliberate and thoughtless single in front of me.   And I was taking my time.   He hit two balls off every tee!   The putted like it was Sunday at the US Open.   Went around one of the greens looking for balls in the bushes while I was waiting in the fairway on one hole, and he would sit by the green in his cart and do something with his phone for 30-60 seconds while I am waiting to swing.   Slow play is more about being thoughtless, IMO, than just walking slow or taking longer than other people.

—Adam

Update: tourney round lasted 5 hours 30 minutes in 103 degree heat. Not a good time. Played quite poorly as well.

Update: tourney round lasted 5 hours 30 minutes in 103 degree heat. Not a good time. Played quite poorly as well.

Sounds a lot like the times for the Myrtle Beach World Amateur in August.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

That is beyond slow. There is no way I could handle that.

The future is NOW!

http://www.rf-golf.com/home.htm

Thanks for the heads up.

Any idea what the R&A; and USGA say about the RF system from a rules standpoint? I sent the RF people an e-mail to inquire.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Yesterday when four of us were hacking it around, two of us in carts, two other with push carts and the group in front of us is a twosome in a cart and holding us up.

They were violating the rules of faster player

1) Each time they hit a ball into the water they would spend extra time looking for spare golf balls

2) Not playing ready golf

3) Talking away on the tee box while the whole hole is open for them to play

4) realizing they suck and should pick up after their ESC

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yesterday when four of us were hacking it around, two of us in carts, two other with push carts and the group in front of us is a twosome in a cart and holding us up.

They were violating the rules of faster player

1) Each time they hit a ball into the water they would spend extra time looking for spare golf balls

2) Not playing ready golf

3) Talking away on the tee box while the whole hole is open for them to play

4) realizing they suck and should pick up after their ESC

My last few rounds out there (that particular course) have been brutal. What time did you fellas make?

My last few rounds out there (that particular course) have been brutal. What time did you fellas make?

4 hours and 30 to 45 minutes

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 hour round would make me quit the game.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!