IGNORED

Bad Day on the Driving Range

dirtsaver
Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am getting back into golf after an absence of 25 years.  I've bought modern, fitted clubs.  I've also taken a number of recent lessons.

When I was at the driving range on Friday I was consistently making good shots and some spectacular shots (for me), including a 300 yard drive.  I went home elated that now I have the shot making capability to play a decent game that won't embarrass me on the course.

Well today I went back to the driving range and had a hard time hitting the ball square.  As opposed to about 80% of my shots being decent like Friday's, about 80% were bad to horrible.

I am not asking for swing instruction.  I am asking for knowledge about how you folks deal with a really bad day when you know there is better golf in you but you can't seem to get it out.  Anyone care to share their approach to a bad day on the range or the course?

As soon as I see it's not going to be a decent, or better day on the driving range, I quit, and move to the short game area. If my chip/pitch game is in suck mode, I go to the putting green. If my putting is poor,  I immediately leave and go to the local sports bar, and check out the

T & A.............That I am always good at. :-P

No, when practice sessions are not going well,  it's best to leave the poor shots behind asap, and do something different to get your mind off you goofed up golf game. Another day is just that.

I also never worry about a higher score when actually playing. It's golf, and higher than normal scores are to be expected.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The realization that really helped me deal with bad days (which are often, for a golfer of my ability) was a simple one: my swing is actually no different on the bad days and the good ones.

When I go to the range and hit everything flush, or hit the course and have a great day driving the ball, it's not because I am doing something better with my swing.  When I go to the range and struggle and it terrible shots, it's not because I'm doing something "wrong".  I just have a swing that, right now, will deliver a certain (low) percentage of good shots, and a certain percentage of bad ones.

As I develop a better swing, it will deliver a higher percentage of good results.

I think of it like baseball - just because you go 0-for-4 one day and 4-for-4 the next, you're still the same hitter.  The only way to ensure improvement over the long term is to improve the swing technically.  In the meantime, you enjoy the hell out of those 4-for-4's and don't get too upset about the 0-fer's.

Sounds silly, but once I realized this I suddenly was able to enjoy good days on the course/range without getting too down about the bad ones.

All I can do is keep getting better to make the former more and more likely.

• Upvote 3

- John

I try to finish strong that day with 10 solid shots regardless of distance and go home. It could be lack of sleep,a hangover or maybe your mind was elsewhere the thing to remember is if you did it once you can do it again smile it's just a little white ball on the ground,well sometimes it's yellow. B-)

I had to learn to let it go. Sometimes it just isn't happening. You finish your drills and leave. Let it go. It's over. There may be a ball close to your mat or station. Leave it there. Your bucket is empty. Your drills are done. Come back tomorrow.

On the course, if you're an emotional player, golf will absolutely punish you. You have to learn how to take things one shot at a time. One swing at a time. And forget the bad ones. Remember the good ones. You did make some good ones even in the worst round you hit some good shots... well maybe you did. If I didn't hit any good shots on the front 9 I'm going home - screw the back 9.

I've also shown how two terrible shots and a putt = birdie - yeah, I know what you're thinking - "That was a GIR and a birdie!" - you didn't see the drive: it was in the woods and got a kick out from a tree onto the fairway; and you didn't see the hosel rocket roll up onto the green - that 8 iron did go straight... straight off the hosel and straight down the fairway and rolled up onto the green. I sank the putt. I was laughing on my way to the next tee.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Thanks for all the great advice.  After that bad day at the range my next outing was an 18 hole round with my brother in law.  Just before I left for the course my re-gripped Ping putter arrived back from Ping repair service.  At the course on the putting green I lined up about a 10 foot first put and drained it.  Although my score was a 100+ I had a great day on the course and walked the entire 18 holes with my Bag Boy push cart.  A member of our foursome had a seat in a power cart waiting for me if I got too tired from walking.

WOW! What a difference a different day can make!  Thanks guys for bringing this all into perspective.  Not only were my puts sinking but I also hit some monster drives (for me) and landed a few in the fairway.  I am hooked on the game again so now I will punish myself again and head back to the driving range this afternoon.

viva la golf.

As soon as I see it's not going to be a decent, or better day on the driving range, I quit, and move to the short game area. If my chip/pitch game is in suck mode, I go to the putting green. If my putting is poor,  I immediately leave and go to the local sports bar, and check out the

T & A.............That I am always good at.

No, when practice sessions are not going well,  it's best to leave the poor shots behind asap, and do something different to get your mind off you goofed up golf game. Another day is just that.

I also never worry about a higher score when actually playing. It's golf, and higher than normal scores are to be expected.

Good advice, and an interesting twist  on the old "only pitch if you can't chip, only chip if you can't putt"

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I laugh, say "It is what it is", learn from it, and have a drink.

But never lose confidence.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Had a bad day at the driving range yesterday before my awful 9 hole round. There is always another day remember. Keep your head up and keep practicing as many good days await you.

• Upvote 1

What's in the bag?
2 Iron, 3 Iron, 4 Iron, 5 Iron, 6 Iron, 7 Iron, 8 Iron, 9 Iron, PW, GW, 3 Wood, 5 Wood, Putter
Titleist Irons, Callaway Woods and a Jack Nicklaus putter. Cigars and a case of Stella.

Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!