IGNORED

Wrists: To Hinge or Not To Hinge?

Note: This thread is 3119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As the title states, I wanted to know if I would be better off hinging my wrists, as my buddy suggested I do this. as it creates more leverage on shots. I tested it out at the range, and I added 15-30 yards on every club, but now I hit my 4 Hybrid just as far as my driver.

So, the question remains, to hinge or not to hinge?

Hinge.

You have to have some wrist hinge and cock for the club to load "up" enough on the backswing. Otherwise it would load too far inside and then the sweetspot isn't "balanced".

Good example of a nice blend of right elbow folding and the wrists hinging.

hinge.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is now my priority piece. My pro got me on this one Tuesday.

I've been afraid of this because of the past when I did it I used to hit a weak right due to cupping the wrist. But with the other fundamentals more in place, that doesn't happen or not as much - although I am hitting a gentle fade with my irons now. And loading up sooner has helped me gain a little distance, too. It still feels weird, and is taking getting used to.

It helps me get the club head more vertical in my backswing so I can drop it into the slot on my downswing.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Hinge gradually during the backswing - that way it is all in balance.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Always have some wrist hinge unless your trying to hit a spinning wedge. Check this video out it helped me on 75 yard spin shots. Otherwise the wrist must have a hinge with your woods and that starts with a solid grip.

Always have some wrist hinge unless your trying to hit a spinning wedge. 

That guy hinges his wrist, if he didn't the shaft wouldn't look like this at A3.

Screen_Shot_2015-10-05_at_8.22.57_AM.thu

Mike McLoughlin

Well that's not what he said in the video.

What they say and what they do are two different things, which is a primary reason I don't pickup golf magazines. The pics do not match the text.

I don't know how to spin a 75 yard chip (no wrist hinge). 

I can spin a 75 yard sand wedge with plenty of hinge, and can hit a low 50 with hinging.

Typically, I reserve the low hop and stop shots to 40-50 yards; with wrist hinge, hands slightly ahead, catch it a groove thin, and go left with the arms after impact.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Well that's not what he said in the video.

Like a lot of things in golf. Feel isn't always real. He might think he feels like he doesn't hinge the wrists, but he does. That downfall of living by Golf Digest and Golf Videos that explain by feel and not by what actually happens. It makes it hard to sift through the crap and figure out what fits for your swing. A good instructor knows where the club should be, how it works in the swing and figures out what works with for you.

In the end hinge depends on the golfer. I don't feel hinge in my golf swing. For me I gradually hinge the club as I swing back. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

im having issues on the right arm folding part, i keep my right arm too straight and take the hands and club too low and in on the backswing.  Is there a post or video that explains how the right arm should fold? or what it should feel like

first of all , i am not a good golfer, but i could not find a section in "swing thoughts' to post my query.

anyway, i read an article recently about the importance of actually understanding what wrist hinging actually entails. apparently, most of us think that the hinge is on plane just between the base of the thumb and wrist joint in a more or less up and down motion.

but this is a total fallacy, as the wrist can "fold" back and forth at 90 degrees to this plane.

this is very important, as if theoretically in the backswing takeaway you start the motion with a conscious effort of pushing the left thumb down with the heel of the right hand, it causes you to "cup'" the hands in a backward motion, which then forces you to rotate your left shoulder on a more desired downward rotation angle .

this in itself causes wonderful side effects- automatic correct plane and weight shift.

i have no idea if this works and i must apologize for posting this in the wrong section.

I routinely troll and make things up. Please use my posts for your own amusement, and little else.

im having issues on the right arm folding part, i keep my right arm too straight and take the hands and club too low and in on the backswing.  Is there a post or video that explains how the right arm should fold? or what it should feel like

Couple drills you can do.

- Make practice swings or hit 3/4 shots with a tee or glove in your right arm pit (for a righty). The arm will have to fold to keep the tee in there.
-  Take a club and lie it on the ground perpendicular to a wall. Stand about that distance away from the wall (orange), maybe add another foot, and make a takeaway with the same club and don't hit the wall.
Screen_Shot_2015-10-08_at_7.59.41_AM.thu

this in itself causes wonderful side effects- automatic correct plane and weight shift.

i have no idea if this works and i must apologize for posting this in the wrong section.

I think it can "work" but I wouldn't recommend having to think about it unless it's a priority for your swing.

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac

Do you see a correlation between back swing turn rates and how the club hinges. If the body turns correctly in the back swing does that promote more hinge and less rolling the club inside? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

@mvmac

Do you see a correlation between back swing turn rates and how the club hinges. If the body turns correctly in the back swing does that promote more hinge and less rolling the club inside? 

I'll answer by saying that I don't really have an answer. Poorer golfers tend to do both poorly. Better golfers do both better. Some golfers hinge earlier than others, and that's true at all levels of the game.

Poor golfers (bad golfers) tend to roll the arms more AND have a bad turn, but I don't know that the two are as linked as you question implies.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As the title states, I wanted to know if I would be better off hinging my wrists, as my buddy suggested I do this. as it creates more leverage on shots. I tested it out at the range, and I added 15-30 yards on every club, but now I hit my 4 Hybrid just as far as my driver.

So, the question remains, to hinge or not to hinge?

Has anyone ever said don't hinge ? Most instructors I've had complain I'm not hinging enough.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Note: This thread is 3119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!