IGNORED

Challenging Yourself vs Having Fun

JonMA1
Note: This thread is 3079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are a lot of ways to challenge yourself. If I fail to clear the water, I can drop it where it crossed the hazard, which is almost always an easier shot, or I can take the drop from the original spot. If the score were the only thing that mattered, I'd take the easier of the two options, yet that isn't always the case.

Getting wedge shots to stop where you want them on the green is a blast. But getting a full swing 5 iron to fly right at the pin and stop 20ft past is even more rewarding, as is threading the needle with a 3w off the fairway. While developing those shots at the range seems to be the smart way to practice, at some point you have get past the fear of failing.

One of the better players I've played with at my course told me he played those short white tees until he could shoot par, then moved back to the blues. He played those until he could shoot par before moving back to the tips (6800 yds, 73/138).

I'm not that ambitious or delusional, but I like the idea of "upping the ante".

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Many of the single digit golfers on this site used the figure "shoot in the 70s" before moving back.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On most courses I frequent, I use two different tees based on my mood/condition that day, course pace, who I am playing with (no problem going with their preference), etc..  I.e, I keep it flexible.   I have no doubt that playing from different distance tees helps make me a more complete player.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I play mostly the longer courses in my area where the front tees are 5600-5800 yds. I get beat up enough there. Still when I play on a short course with the club at 5200, the problem isn't the long game.....

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I've been thinking about moving back again so I can get more comfortable hitting the higher end of the bag. I just don't know if it's worth it to do at the end of the season. With how the main course I have has the play all you want after 1 pm it may be worth playing one round from the back and one from my normal tees. I wish there were courses around here that had mixed tee scorecards and ratings, I bet that would be a great way to play the same course a lot but still getting a good varied experience.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'm challenged from the moment I put the ball on a tee on the first hole.  It doesn't matter how long or short the course I'm playing might be.  I can be severely challenged by the 9 hole course here that doesn't even lay claim to a single bunker, where virtually every stray shot is at least somewhat playable.  It's still all fun.  

Sometimes it's nice to be in a position to play 5 wood off the tee instead of driver all the time.  I get bored with having to always play driver, or at least playing a course which never requires you to make a decision on the tee.  I like holes that give you the choice of driver to a risky landing area, or 5 wood to a wide open target, but then maybe needing a 5 iron or 7 wood for the second shot vs. 8 or 9 iron after a successful driver.  I balance the risk with my comfort level on that day and make a choice.  

I find a lot more enjoyment in playing a course that makes me think.  It's the combined challenge of having to plan the hole, then execute the plan that makes golf the most fun.

Edited by iacas
took out extra returns
  • Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I suppose everyone is different but for me there is not a difference in having fun and being challenged in golf.  If fact if the game were easy I'd probably get bored with it.  

Butch

(edited)

After a week or so of using my woods/driver more, I played the other night and practically couldn't miss the fairway with those clubs.

My first tee shot came scary close to reaching the pond-protected par 4 green from a 3w with a freakish direction and roll. The only missed fairway was a driver that was straight but went through the dogleg. I was still able to par that hole because of a good fairway wood shot from under a tree.

On one particular par 4, my playing partner and I lost my first tee shot and then the following provisional because of the sun in our eyes. Finally tracked my third tee shot which landed just in the right rough, drove out there only to find the first two shots next to each other in the middle of the fairway. 

This round was an anomaly of course, and I missed too many greens and a few putts. Still, it was a fun 9 holes of penalty-free bogey golf.

Edited by JonMA1
typo

Jon

If I were to challenge myself it would be to play a short course that has a 69/110 ratiing and play better on it than a longer 73/124 rated course. At the moment the reverse is happening. I can bomb a drive, hit an 8 iron and either I'm on or chipping. On the short course I have to be accurate and watch for hazards and have a decent short game. I should be scoring 4 to 5 strokes better on the short course. It isn't happening.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!