IGNORED

3 month golf experiment comes to an end

wasilvers
Note: This thread is 3097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've had clubs for a few years, some co-workers picked some out for me.  But like most, I never practiced golf, just range 2-3 times a year and about the same on courses.  It was fun but frustrating.

After a few bad outings, I decided to learn golf this year.  I'm 41, overweight at 225, but fairly athletic still and generally good at most sports.  My goal was to get to the first plateau of 'getting better'.  I've done it at basketball, volleyball, and tennis so I figured golf couldn't be that bad and estimated it would take the rest of the season. When I started in July, my longer drives were about 200 on the course, averaging about 185 - if I could hit it at all. I didn't keep score much the first weeks, but seemed like I averaged about 18-20 over for 9 holes. I did a lot of youtube, golf channel, some video study and range time, lots of chipping practice to improve.  The averages for the last 2 weeks were - 240 for drives- with multiple ones measured at 260 and scoring about one over per hole at various courses.   My best drive was 292 with a hill, 270 without hill or wind.  I don't often have time to play 18, so I play lots of 9's with my son.  Best score of my summer was 4 over for 9 holes - with a number of 7 over scores.   My average on 9 is about bogey golf.  One more year of practice should get me where I want to be - which I still haven't defined yet. So who knows where this sport will end.

Anyway, frost is on the ground here in WI, so the official practice is going away.  I'll be looking for exercises I can do this winter to get stronger. Can't wait for next year!

Edited by wasilvers

Try the book -" Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing" by Joey D. Available on Amazon. A lot of golf is flexibility and balance. This will help a lot.

I've found it works better if you find a hands-on instructor instead of youtube or forums when you are starting out. Once you have a basis and some knowledge, I would go with the 5 Simple Keys taught here. It gives you a base for where you need to go and drills to assist you.

Good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And now there are several people that hate you.:pound:

At least for now- when you come back in spring back shooting into the 50's for 9 holes again, you will be loved again.:-P

Don't let the weather halt your progress.  There are many drills that can be accomplished inside while you are watching tv or just for a couple minutes in your garage.  You can mentally play your local course.  You can work on setting your grip throughout the off season.  It will feel like second nature when Spring rolls around. You can work on your alignment, takeaway or even strength and flexibility.  Don't let the winter weather stop your progress!

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

i picked up some flatballs. cool practice balls imo. i plan on hitting them in the garage this winter.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

• 2 weeks later...

i started walking with a push cart this year. I played 3 x per week and in 2 weeks, lost 15 pounds. I was in the best shape of my life this summer. Now its getting rainy and cold and not playing as much. I can see the weight going back on and hate it!

You need to bring your calories down if you're putting weight back on. I'd also keep exercising regardless.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

Note: This thread is 3097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!