or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (iacas)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (iacas)

post #1 of 325
Thread Starter 

Finally have a video on YouTube that I can share. ;-)

 

 

As you can tell from the name of the video, I was trying to achieve a little more of a "Jim Furyk Feeling" on this swing - dorsiflexion of the left wrist on the takeaway (still getting the hands deep), no #3, then lots of #3 from about P3.75 to P4.25... then the follow through is just holding the wedge into a follow through, but frankly, I wasn't that worried about anything after P7.

 

Full speed, just 300 FPS.

 

I'm happy with what I'm working on, but feel free to ask any questions you might have.

post #2 of 325

On a full swing, do you still play with angled hinge action as in that video?

post #3 of 325

Oh hell yea. Iacas's swing! This is gonna be a great thread money.gif

 

EDIT: Oh boooo, where's the caddy view? tongue.png

post #4 of 325


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

- dorsiflexion of the left wrist on the takeaway (still getting the hands deep), no #3, then lots of #3 from about P3.75 to P4.25... then the follow through is just holding the wedge into a follow through, but frankly, I wasn't that worried about anything after P7.

 

Full speed, just 300 FPS.

 

I'm happy with what I'm working on, but feel free to ask any questions you might have.

 

 hey Iacas,

 Thanks for posting this. I have a few questions:

 First off - many of the words in your post I don't understand.

 Dorsiflexion?  , getting the hands "deep"  - no#3 ?

 also - it looks like an awesome swing fitting of your handicap - I really like the way your spine angle is consistent throughout your entire swing well through impact -an essential for solid ball striking.

 It seems that you are not really releasing the club through impact - is this because you are playing a fade? Is a fade your predominant shot shape?? also - are you trying to have the back swing outside the plane and then loop back through the slot??

 

 Thanks!

post #5 of 325

Need face on view :)

 

Thanks for posting.. .the strobe light affect screwed with my eyes.  Your swing looks great though.

post #6 of 325
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggsy View Post

On a full swing, do you still play with angled hinge action as in that video?


You bet. Maybe a teeny bit less (this is slightly on the vertical hinging side of things) but the wedge doesn't stay in quite as long on a full swing either.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

EDIT: Oh boooo, where's the caddy view? tongue.png


It's Dave's neighbor's barn, and it's big, but I'm not sure there's room for it. In four years I've never worked on anything from face-on really - my head has always stayed centered, etc. I'm a "down the line" problem guy (in my own swing). ;-)

 

'Bout the only thing I worry about face-on is sequencing, but that cleans up when I don't overflex the right arm going back.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwedge74 View Post

First off - many of the words in your post I don't understand.

Dorsiflexion?  , getting the hands "deep"  - no#3 ?

 

First, consider looking here:

http://thesandtrap.com/wiki/big-list-of-golf-terminology

 

Second, here's the really abbreviated version of the words you asked about...

#3 - power accumulator number 3, i.e. rolling the left wrist

dorsiflexion - basically, cupping

deep hands - http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/30325/deep-hands-explained

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwedge74 View Post

also - it looks like an awesome swing fitting of your handicap - I really like the way your spine angle is consistent throughout your entire swing well through impact -an essential for solid ball striking.

 

Well, I'd say my "inclination to the ground" is constant, as my "spine angle" is anything but constant in the swing. Martin Hall explains it a bit here.: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/43582/martin-hall-on-the-spine-angle


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwedge74 View Post

It seems that you are not really releasing the club through impact - is this because you are playing a fade? Is a fade your predominant shot shape?? also - are you trying to have the back swing outside the plane and then loop back through the slot??

 

I play a draw. No looping, no, not at all.

 

It's a common conception that you have to "release the club" to hit a draw, but the draws I play are hit with a clubface that's open to the target. They have to be open to start the ball to the right of the target. My path is just ever so slightly farther right of that, resulting in a push draw.

 

Here's another good thread: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/30392/advice-i-hate-release-the-club

 

And if the PGA Tour hadn't demanded that I remove my video from YouTube, I'd post the Charley Hoffman Winning Draw video... He might release the club even less than I do in this video.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkynd View Post

Need face on view :)

 

Thanks for posting.. .the strobe light affect screwed with my eyes.  Your swing looks great though.


It's like a rave! Where's the ecstasy???? :-)

post #7 of 325

nice swing. Really like the backswing and impact

 

btw. after watching it, I noticed the position of the clubhead during the backswing, really helped fix a part of my backswing thats been off

post #8 of 325

1)  What kind of shot were you working on here?

 

I noticed A. The backswing goes a bit to the outside.  B  That your stance is open. and C. That your follow through is abbreviated.

 

Not sure what it is you are trying to do here but both A and B are things that ive noticed with my swing and then i wonder if C is because you are working on the (is it CP?) release, because you are hitting a low shot, or if it is because of the net.  Oh just saw that you touched on the last part.

post #9 of 325
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcyderydin View Post

1)  What kind of shot were you working on here?

 

No specific "shot" of any kind. Just working on the backswing with some wedge work at P7 and into the follow through.

 

I tend to roll the club under a little bit which makes it flat, then I kick the shaft out a little (steep) on the downswing. So this swing was an attempt to feel the opposite, which is why it's called "Furyk Feeling" - I was trying to go steep to shallow. As you can see, the club never does either of those things. It just stays on plane (within an inch or two at P2) the entire time.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by westcyderydin View Post

I noticed A. The backswing goes a bit to the outside.  B  That your stance is open. and C. That your follow through is abbreviated.

 

A. Barely (if you're talking about the clubhead only). An inch or two which, considering that it's usually a few inches under, I'll take all day. My hands trace their plane just about perfectly, the clubhead gets a tiny bit above.

B. Move the camera and inch or two to the right. I'm not really open, and since I tend to get a teeny bit closed, I'll take it even if I am. :-) Dave wasn't perfectly on my foot line.

C. Of course. As I said, I'm working on a flying wedge in the follow-through.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by westcyderydin View Post

Not sure what it is you are trying to do here but both A and B are things that ive noticed with my swing and then i wonder if C is because you are working on the (is it CP?) release, because you are hitting a low shot, or if it is because of the net.  Oh just saw that you touched on the last part.

 

I'm not really hitting a low shot... I'm not really hitting any type of shot. This one would have been a fairly average height. Do you have any video of your swing? You don't have a "My Swing" thread here, so I can't see it. Just based on averages it's unlikely you take your hands up the plane so you probably DO get above the plane a little, early, but with the hands and the clubhead both. It's not too bad if just the clubhead does it - look at Rickie Fowler. If I had to pick between the clubhead being above the plane or below the plane (i.e. rolled) on the backswing, I'll take above the plane for almost everyone.

 

I believe in staying on the plane throughout the golf swing as much as possible, so my exits are really quite good in this video (see the video with lines below).

 

You should post a video of your swing in a "My Swing" thread.

 

post #10 of 325

Cool stuff.  Just kind of picking your brain and trying to gain an understanding of what you are doing there.

 

I actually do have a My Swing video but it was from last year and i have changed pretty much everything since then.  And it wasnt even a very good representation of my swing cuz i happened to be flipping which is the opposite of what i usually used to do...which was dig a grave sized hole with each shot.

 

But im going to post a new vid when the snow melts....

 

thanks

post #11 of 325

Nice swing Erik.  I am working on a similar "dynamic" feel.  Do you just feel the shallowing effect with #3?  I have been feeling this by sending my right elbow into pitch from around P3.5 

 

For everyone on here, very important to note how his hands are moving on the backswing, it's perfect.  Like Erik said, they are going inward but also up the elbow plane.  Hands in, gets the shaft to steepen.

post #12 of 325

Excellent swing and a great informative thread, its exactly the reason why I keep coming back to this forum, to keep on learning.

 

Maybe someday I will get my courage up to a level to post my own 20 year old swing here smile.png

post #13 of 325

I really like how you have a Rickie Fowler"esk" type of takeaway.  The feeling of having the club head work outside of my hands (while they go deep) on the takeaway is exactly what I am working on right now. 

 

As for the cupping of your wrist, does this help you to lay off the club at the top of the backswing?  While I get my hands decently deep at the top of the backswing, I tend to slightly cross the line at the top.  Your insight on this "feel wise" would be greatly apprecaited.

post #14 of 325
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcyderydin View Post

Cool stuff.  Just kind of picking your brain and trying to gain an understanding of what you are doing there.

 

That's why this thread's here (for the most part), so happy to answer questions.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcyderydin View Post

I actually do have a My Swing video but it was from last year and i have changed pretty much everything since then.  And it wasnt even a very good representation of my swing cuz i happened to be flipping which is the opposite of what i usually used to do...which was dig a grave sized hole with each shot.

 

But im going to post a new vid when the snow melts....

 

 

If I miss it, point it out to me. I didn't think you had one because none came up in http://www.google.com/search?q=my+swing+(westcyderydin)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Nice swing Erik.  I am working on a similar "dynamic" feel.  Do you just feel the shallowing effect with #3?  I have been feeling this by sending my right elbow into pitch from around P3.5 


The elbow does move into a bit more of a pitch elbow but I have to feel it more with #3, yeah, or else going too pitch elbow can push my left arm out too much. Basically, I feel like I can roll #3 as much as I want from 3.8 to 4.2 because the downward dynamics are going to prevent it from getting too flat. It feels like I'm rolling 3 so much in this swing that the clubface can't possibly be less than 45 degrees open at impact. :-) Obviously it's a bit less than that... ;-)

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

For everyone on here, very important to note how his hands are moving on the backswing, it's perfect.  Like Erik said, they are going inward but also up the elbow plane.  Hands in, gets the shaft to steepen.


Fair point, and yes, most people who roll the club under have hands going out. It's difficult to bring the club up on plane if the hands aren't on plane. If you're going to err one way over another, err on the side of taking the hands below the plane and the clubhead above it. I say that because odds are you'll still be the other way, but at least less so - It's a VERY odd sensation to take the clubhead back outside of the hands... and NOT be pushing the clubhead out (i.e. hands also above the plane).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDave View Post

Excellent swing and a great informative thread, its exactly the reason why I keep coming back to this forum, to keep on learning.

 

Maybe someday I will get my courage up to a level to post my own 20 year old swing here smile.png


Thanks Dave. Get the courage up soon... nobody here's judgmental about golf swings. Everyone can get better.

post #15 of 325



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post Everyone can get better.


 

speak for yourself...

lol, JK!!! 

post #16 of 325

I need to hinge faster!

 

When it thaws, please go shoot this outside in the sunshine with a green shirt on. smile.png

post #17 of 325

Erik,

 

Do the hands travel up the shaft plane until P3 and then one can make a shift change to the TSP if they prefer?  Or do you advocate staying on the elbow plane all the way to the Top position?

 

Does it every feel like there is any lifting in your swing or is the backswing complete powered by the turn of your shoulders and their inclination?

 

Greg

post #18 of 325
Thread Starter 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by gmbtempe View Post

Do the hands travel up the shaft plane until P3 and then one can make a shift change to the TSP if they prefer?  Or do you advocate staying on the elbow plane all the way to the Top position?

 

Does it every feel like there is any lifting in your swing or is the backswing complete powered by the turn of your shoulders and their inclination?

 

Howdy Greg. Glad you've made your way over here. I almost didn't recognize you without the TGM cover as your avatar. :-)

 

I'd be okay with TSP for someone else depending on their priorities, shot shape, etc., but I personally prefer what I'll call the elbow plane (higher of the two green lines). TSP and elbow plane are awfully darn close. Also, my transition starts a tad sooner... before P3. TSP and elbow plane are probably closer than a lot of people think. The average golfer on TSP has a real hard time maintaining any depth on the downstroke, and I think it's simply an inefficient way to swing unless impact is on TSP as well.

 

Does it feel like there's lifting? Of the arms away from the body, no. Obviously my hands "lift" by the bending of the right arm but I don't "feel" that much at all, no. And obviously there's hinging the club up, and I do need to feel that more, but that's probably not what you're asking when you say "lifting."

 

I like to keep the arms (elbows) relatively close to the body and to each other.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

When it thaws, please go shoot this outside in the sunshine with a green shirt on. smile.png


For all you know, I was wearing a green shirt. On second thought, no, I can't even pull that off. Those shirts are so green they would have added light to the room and I wouldn't be a silhouette.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (iacas)