or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › LURKERS! Read please!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LURKERS! Read please!

post #1 of 114
Thread Starter 

I notice that there are a ton of guests on here and quite a few members that never post (even after being members for years) but cruise the site regularly. So my questions is why don't you ever put your two cents into any of the threads? Do you use the site for tips on your swing or to just listen to the rants?

 

yuno.jpg

post #2 of 114

Remember that some of us can make ourselves invisible - that may make some show as guests that are regular posters

post #3 of 114

Well Hello, I only chime in on certain threads that I know about. I'll post more if you want though. c2_beer.gif

post #4 of 114
I just got here.
post #5 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeOne View Post

I just got here.


I don't think you count in this situation but welcome here anyway...

post #6 of 114
I post when I feel I can contribute. But remember, a lot of the "guests" are folks finding the site from places like Google/Bing. They're far less likely to register and really "join", and more likely to simply find the answer to the search they made and move on.

Depending on the forum software, "guests" can also be shown for the various web crawlers out there that build indexes for sites like Google/Bing. Sometimes they're shown in a bot category, but sometimes they're lumped in with guests. And while it doesn't seem like there would be many, you'd be surprised how often they hit a continuously evolving, changing, and growing site like a community forum.
post #7 of 114

Personally as a newbie I don't feel like I have enough knowledge about the game to post on most of the threads. But I try to share my opinion when I do feel knowlegable about the subject.

post #8 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stewart View Post

I post when I feel I can contribute. But remember, a lot of the "guests" are folks finding the site from places like Google/Bing. They're far less likely to register and really "join", and more likely to simply find the answer to the search they made and move on.
Depending on the forum software, "guests" can also be shown for the various web crawlers out there that build indexes for sites like Google/Bing. Sometimes they're shown in a bot category, but sometimes they're lumped in with guests. And while it doesn't seem like there would be many, you'd be surprised how often they hit a continuously evolving, changing, and growing site like a community forum.

 

I did not know this but the guy that started the thread about playing music during a round posted for the first time after coming here for over 2 years, That is what I am talking about.

post #9 of 114

Hi.  Sorry.  I'll try and post more. e4_tumbleweed.gif

post #10 of 114

FWIW Guests don't include forum spiders. Only registered members who are invisible and legit visitors to the site.

post #11 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

I notice that there are a ton of guests on here and quite a few members that never post (even after being members for years) but cruise the site regularly. So my questions is why don't you ever put your two cents into any of the threads? Do you use the site for tips on your swing or to just listen to the rants?

400x300px-LL-690e6d39_yuno.jpeg
I've noticed that too. It seems every day multiple people introduce themselves in the welcome thread, saying they're looking forward to contributing, blah blah blah.. and 99% of the time they're never heard from again.
post #12 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

FWIW Guests don't include forum spiders. Only registered members who are invisible and legit visitors to the site.


Well then there are a ton of lurkers on here then. I am surprised to see over 400 people on here at times and limited forum activity or the same people posting pretty much all the time. It either says a lot about the small group of posters or ....... I don't know.... as of this post: Currently, there are 304 Active Users  (33 Members and 271 Guests) <- and this is the norm. Maybe there is more going on but the guest amount where people come and say or contribute nothing is surprising to me.

post #13 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


Well then there are a ton of lurkers on here then. I am surprised to see over 400 people on here at times and limited forum activity or the same people posting pretty much all the time. It either says a lot about the small group of posters or ....... I don't know.... as of this post: Currently, there are 304 Active Users  (33 Members and 271 Guests) <- and this is the norm. Maybe there is more going on but the guest amount where people come and say or contribute nothing is surprising to me.

 

If 'members' are on viewing, but not 'logged in', don't they appear as a 'guest'?   I'd bet there is a lot of that, but I do agree, the numbers are still surprising. 

post #14 of 114

Haha, I read here for nearly a year and a half before I started posting... Now I chime in where I can, even start some threads!

post #15 of 114
We get a LOT of unique visitors to the site. The site does well in SEO so people come to us for a few pages because when they search a golf related topic they'll come here.

I think the timeout for when a person is considered "active" is about 15 minutes, so 304 "people" is basically IP addresses within the last 15 minutes.
post #16 of 114

I just registered this year (thought I did back then, but I either forgot my u/n pw or didnt), been lurking since '06 off and on.

post #17 of 114
I lurk a lot, primarily because I absolutely hate to talk about things that I am not knowledgeable about. So I quietly read threads, occasionally ask a question, but don't do much beyond that, letting the more advanced members do the talking...
post #18 of 114

The less time typing on here = more time playing out there.  Plus I have two kids so my time is no longer my own.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › LURKERS! Read please!