or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › "The dumbest money in golf is spent on putters."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The dumbest money in golf is spent on putters."

post #1 of 72
Thread Starter 

It's a quote I heard once from some old codger on the course. He gave me some swing tips while playing with him, So I figured I'd share his most memorable quote...

Not that my situation applies to everyone, but I gotta admit, I drink the koolaid on this one. My putter is a used $15 knockoff of an Odyssey 2-ball... and I think it's fantastic.

 

But then again there's guys knockin' down 30 footers, swearing by their Scotty Cameron Limited Edition Carbon Fiber Titanium Alloy Dolphin Safe Pro Model... 

Thoughts? Dissenters? Just for fun here...

post #2 of 72

I have had my most success with an acuity mallet steel putter and I have no idea ball just rolls in

post #3 of 72

I think you just have to find a putter that works best for you. In my opinion though a good putter can make the ball go in the hole using a broom. A good putter (person) is a good putter. 

post #4 of 72
Just because someone's an old codger doesn't necessarily mean he knows what he's talking about.

On the scorecard, a 2 foot putt counts as much as a 300 yd drive. A missed putt is the only stroke I know that ALWAYS costs you one more on the scorecard......

.......something to think about.
post #5 of 72

I'd like to 'waste' some money on a putter -- kind of want an Edel...  :)

post #6 of 72
Just because he's an old codger doesn't mean he DOESN'T know what he's talking about..
A putter you putt well with is a good putter. Just bought my first new one in 12 years. But I bet he's bought 6 drivers in the past 5 years...
post #7 of 72

I agree with the sentiment.  I'll probably have the same putter for the rest of my life.  I can't envision a scenario where I would need to replace it.

post #8 of 72

I tend to agree.  I have a few putters but my gamer the last three years cost under $80.  Odyssey #9 brand new.  I have two....just in case.

post #9 of 72

More like the dumbest money in golf is spent on drivers.  Sounds like your, "old codger" friend would be wise to listen to a few tips himself.

post #10 of 72

Speaking from my own experiences, I think the dumbest money is spent buying golf equipment that you're not fit for.  People spend so much on putters and drivers because they're looking for the magic stick that will sink every putt and send every drive down the fairway 300+ yards.  Golfers spend thousands of dollars chasing the latest marketing craze and never find the magic. 

 

I played a round last week with a business associate that played Hogan Apex II irons, Hogan woods, and a Bullseye putter.  He shot an 82 after having not played a round all summer.  He could hit the ball 280 yards on his drive and he appeared to sink every putt within 10'.  He paid $50 for the entire set, including the bag, so much for needing to spend thousands.  He said he owns newer drivers, new irons and even a few SC putters but he doesn't score as well with them, he said I guess these clubs just "fit" me. 

 

I agreed in that I've spent a lot of money on putters only to find out that what appealed to my eye didn't fit my putting style.  Turns out that while I like the look of a blade putter, the #9 is better for my putting style.  I could have spent tens of thousands on blade putters but if my putting style didn't change I wasn't going to have much success with them. 

post #11 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

More like the dumbest money in golf is spent on drivers.  Sounds like your, "old codger" friend would be wise to listen to a few tips himself.


A good point for the most part, I think.

Thing is though, I think there are more situations where replacing a driver makes sense. I mean, if you've got an old, old driver in your bag, I think anyone could benefit from some new technology...

However, I have no delusions that an R11 is gonna do any better than my Burner Superfast 1.0...

Putting however is the only situation where the reverse could happen. If you've been putting great for 20 years and buy a new shiny model, then proceed to stink... that was a dumb move.

I guess it's two different kinds of dumb.

post #12 of 72

I just believe in finding a putter that suits you and feels good in your hands, one that's easy to stroke for you.

post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post

I think you just have to find a putter that works best for you. In my opinion though a good putter can make the ball go in the hole using a broom. A good putter (person) is a good putter. 

I would agree, IMHO, good putters (person) are natural, much like a musician or an artist.  Training can enhance the skill, but most of it is natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

More like the dumbest money in golf is spent on drivers.  Sounds like your, "old codger" friend would be wise to listen to a few tips himself.

Totally agree, been using the same putter for years and will use it for years to come, but my driver is good for only a couple more years, if even that.  

post #14 of 72
Good tip I heard was that if you are a decent putter normally but your putting goes 'off' best bet is simply change out the putter for your next round. Basically stops you getting a complex about not being able to putt, got the yips etc.

As for money spent, hmmm

Got a Ping Pickmeup belly putter for the first time for my birthday, about 190 dollars, so expensive but not as much as some.

Something about it, the sound off the clubface, the way the ball starts rolling quickly... I know it cost Ping 10 bucks to make it but I have this feeling there is some wizard R+D going on that makes it 'better' than a no name budget offering.

What matters is that I have confidence in it, hole a bunch more putts than usual (and I wasn't a bad putter before), and win a few side bets that have more than paid for it in 4 months use.

If I need to swap it in 3 months time... If I find a 5 buck putter that works the same then that is great as well, just haven't found one yet.
post #15 of 72

Any reason for that view? Do you know some one who spend 1000 hours practicing putting that is not really good (i.e top 10% at it)?  Personally i have never met a "natural" musician or artist. All the ones I know practiced a ton. Wether they practiced a ton because they were good at it or were good at it because the practiced a ton, I will leave up to you to decide.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo View Post

I would agree, IMHO, good putters (person) are natural, much like a musician or an artist.  Training can enhance the skill, but most of it is natural.

post #16 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by x129 View Post

Any reason for that view? Do you know some one who spend 1000 hours practicing putting that is not really good (i.e top 10% at it)?  Personally i have never met a "natural" musician or artist. All the ones I know practiced a ton. Wether they practiced a ton because they were good at it or were good at it because the practiced a ton, I will leave up to you to decide.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo View Post

I would agree, IMHO, good putters (person) are natural, much like a musician or an artist.  Training can enhance the skill, but most of it is natural.

 

Not sure what to say other than when you meet one you'll know it. Good luck.

post #17 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large chris View Post

Good tip I heard was that if you are a decent putter normally but your putting goes 'off' best bet is simply change out the putter for your next round. Basically stops you getting a complex about not being able to putt, got the yips etc.

As for money spent, hmmm

Got a Ping Pickmeup belly putter for the first time for my birthday, about 190 dollars, so expensive but not as much as some.

Something about it, the sound off the clubface, the way the ball starts rolling quickly... I know it cost Ping 10 bucks to make it but I have this feeling there is some wizard R+D going on that makes it 'better' than a no name budget offering.

What matters is that I have confidence in it, hole a bunch more putts than usual (and I wasn't a bad putter before), and win a few side bets that have more than paid for it in 4 months use.

If I need to swap it in 3 months time... If I find a 5 buck putter that works the same then that is great as well, just haven't found one yet.

An interesting perspective... This is where its all personal... since the putter does work for you, it was 190 dollars well spent... But it all begs the question. Is the design of the club responsible for your putting success? Or is just your sense of confidence in the club you hold in your hands?

Or a combination of both? We may never know...

post #18 of 72

I was putting terrible the first half of the season before going down to the PGA Tour store, getting fitted by Jerry and buying a See More putter which is the most expensive club in my bag.  He also gave me a few putting tips.  Some days are better than others, but overall my putting has improved a lot. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › "The dumbest money in golf is spent on putters."