or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Tiger thinking about joining the European Tour?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tiger thinking about joining the European Tour?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Tiger Woods will consider joining the European tour due to some modifications to membership eligibility.  I'm sure as long as the appearance fee is right, he'll show up for the events that aren't a Cup competition, World Golf Championship and the majors.  

 

 

Quote:

The European Tour is expected to announce soon that participation in the Ryder Cup,Presidents Cup and Seve Trophy will count toward the 13 events needed for tour membership.

Woods said Wednesday he last looked into joining the European Tour in 2000 when the requirement was 11 events.

"I knew I would have to play one of two more events back then when it was 11 but now that criteria is 13," he said at the World Golf Finals in Turkey. "I don't know what my numbers are as I know I played 19 in the States this year and whether it crosses over or not but I will again look at it.

"I did play Abu Dhabi but then 13 are certainly a lot more than 11, especially playing full-time in the States."

Woods would be only two or three events short of the 13 if the list includes the Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup, four majors, four World Golf Championship events and appearances in either Abu Dhabi or Dubai.

Meanwhile, organizers said they hope Woods will compete in the inaugural Turkish Open next year.

The $7 million event will be played Nov. 7-10, 2013, at The Montgomerie Course in Belek.

Ahmet Agaoglu, president of the Turkish Golf Federation, said the 78-player European Tour event will take place a week before the season-ending Dubai championship.

post #2 of 18
Some of my favorite Tiger Woods stats involve just how he has dominated the European Tour despite never being a member, thanks to their sanctioning of the majors and WGC events. He's third all time in Euro Tour wins! b2_tongue.gif

I hope he joins. If he plays a few more events overseas that just means we in the States will get to see more overseas golf, which is always a nice change up, especially during the pre-Masters West Coast and Florida swings.
post #3 of 18

Oh yay, now Golf Channel is going to show even more boring Euro Tour events that no one cares about.

post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

Oh yay, now Golf Channel is going to show even more boring Euro Tour events that no one cares about.

 

I rest my case M'Lord...........

post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

Oh yay, now Golf Channel is going to show even more boring Euro Tour events that no one cares about.

Did you watch the Abu Dhabi event that Tiger played in this year won by Robert Rock? That was very exciting, and a nice change-up from the monotonous American parklands course.
post #6 of 18

I'm slightly surprised this is being given any sort of credence, Bob Harig has written an article on ESPN talking about theoretical schedules.

 

I assumed it was a Euro journalist posing a pointed question and Tiger giving a polite non-commital answer.

 

The only time it looked like there was going to be a stampede to the European Tour was when Dubai first put up €€€€€€ for the first Race to Dubai, but that never happened as the world went skint.

 

I'm excluding the rush of one time Major Champions who have run out of eligibility on the PGA but still have status in Europe (Campbell, Daly, Beem, Curtis etc etc).

post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

Oh yay, now Golf Channel is going to show even more boring Euro Tour events that no one cares about.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post

 

I rest my case M'Lord...........

    

     GaijinGolfer suffers from Myopia don't you know. a2_wink.gif

post #8 of 18
I thought Myopia was an island in southeast Asia?
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Some of my favorite Tiger Woods stats involve just how he has dominated the European Tour despite never being a member, thanks to their sanctioning of the majors and WGC events. He's third all time in Euro Tour wins! b2_tongue.gif
I hope he joins. If he plays a few more events overseas that just means we in the States will get to see more overseas golf, which is always a nice change up, especially during the pre-Masters West Coast and Florida swings.

Is there much or any euro tour golf gets shown in American?

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandwhiterob View Post

Is there much or any euro tour golf gets shown in American?

Golf Channel will show Euro Tour golf sometimes, but it gets preempted by almost anything occurring in the U.S., and they don't advertise it at all.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


Golf Channel will show Euro Tour golf sometimes, but it gets preempted by almost anything occurring in the U.S., and they don't advertise it at all.


We lucky in England, we get all four days coverage of PGA tour event live, Usually 3-4 hours a night but more for majors, WGC, tour championship etc etc. Also get the senior and ladies majors live although we are at the mercy of the US broadcaster so if there is a delay in the coverage for whatever reason the time is filled with pundits talking in the studio

post #12 of 18

Tiger Woods Want to be In Euro Tour

Maybe better luck there?

http://sportsinput.com/2012/10/12/tiger-considering-european-tour/

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansteadimp View Post

I'm slightly surprised this is being given any sort of credence, Bob Harig has written an article on ESPN talking about theoretical schedules.

 

I assumed it was a Euro journalist posing a pointed question and Tiger giving a polite non-commital answer.

 

The only time it looked like there was going to be a stampede to the European Tour was when Dubai first put up €€€€€€ for the first Race to Dubai, but that never happened as the world went skint.

 

I'm excluding the rush of one time Major Champions who have run out of eligibility on the PGA but still have status in Europe (Campbell, Daly, Beem, Curtis etc etc).

McIlroy and Donald protested to have United States be added to the tours. Their athletes don't get paid to tour so there could be some nice monetary compensation for the European golfers.

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

Oh yay, now Golf Channel is going to show even more boring Euro Tour events that no one cares about.


Speak for yourself. While I'm much more interested in the PGA, I enjoy the euro tour from time to time.

post #15 of 18

Why not? Seems like a win-win for the European tour and Tiger. He brings viewers and they give him cash for showing up.

 

Personally, I don't see why they have minimum numbers for any tour. Why not take the World's best golfers when you can get them.

post #16 of 18

Does anyone know if Tiger Woods, Dustin Johnson,et al get apperence fees if they were members of the European tour?  I know the US players get big bucks now to play in some of Middle East and Asian events.

post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlf16507 View Post

Does anyone know if Tiger Woods, Dustin Johnson,et al get apperence fees if they were members of the European tour?  I know the US players get big bucks now to play in some of Middle East and Asian events.

 

The European Tour does not forbid appearance fees. They can continue to get them, just not for any PGA Tour events. European Tour members can't get them for PGA Tour events either.

post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

Oh yay, now Golf Channel is going to show even more boring Euro Tour events that no one cares about.

I dont think it helps that the commentators for European events are about as exciting as watching paint dry. The US commentators are just so much more lively and interesting to listen to, especially that Irish guy! :)

 

Also, I think European events are different from those hosted in the southern states of America simply because the weather isnt as nice  etc.

 

Either way, I hope Tiger does come over this way. That would be an exciting event for the European tour!

 

Regards

 

Mailman

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Tiger thinking about joining the European Tour?