or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › A camera for recording the golf swing ? EX-FH100 is the only good option out there ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A camera for recording the golf swing ? EX-FH100 is the only good option out there ?

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 

I know this question has been asked many times, but I checked that the very last one is sometime last year.

I just wanted to find out if there are updates to this :)

 

I checked the post that EX-ZR100 is also good, but it does not have manual shutter speed control.

Is it right ? 

 

Is there any alternative to EX-FH100 ? in the sense that you can change the frame rate as well as the shutter speed ?

Currently, EX-FH100 is very very expensive.......

 

Thanks for your suggestions

post #2 of 35
Easy question with a couple of different answers. There are 3 options outside of the FH-100, that I have looked at. The pricing on the FH-100 is high for the exact reason you are outlining. It is the only inexpensive camera in Casio's line that has manual shutter control. Casio knows they should add this to all of their cameras because when I talk with their marketing people they freely admit they know this is something customers want. Still each new camera comes out and has no manual shutter speed.

I have been playing around with the Nikon 1. This camera can now be found more affordably on eBay because they released the J1. The 1 has manual shutter speeds...but it is far from perfect. It only records about 6 seconds of video, which is plenty for your swing. Trouble is you need to set the 10 sec timer, run to the ball within the 10 sec and then hit it. If you go the 1 route, get a remote, so you can start the recording when you are ready. The other problem is it is a very weird resolution. 640x250 or something like that. Very long and skinny. If you have the right software this is no issue, but I am constantly running into issues with this.

A much more affordable option I have been playing with is the Samsung Galaxy S4. I need to take the camera into the lab to verify the frame rate but looks like it is over 200fps. 800x450 resolution. No manual function. So blurry clubheads, but with a contract only 199, plus you get a pretty good phone, and a camera to record your swing.

A few guys use the GoPro but no manual shutter speed, and pricey option to get the high frame rate. Best resolution though.

Hope I helped.
post #3 of 35

The Canon Powershot ELPH 300HS allows for slow motion video but it's limited to 30 seconds, not ideal but more than enough to record your swing. 

post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

The Canon Powershot ELPH 300HS allows for slow motion video but it's limited to 30 seconds, not ideal but more than enough to record your swing. 

Good camera. Does the job but I agree about the lack of capture time.
post #5 of 35
I am looking at the Panasonic Lumix FZ200

Won't know what it does exactly w video since the manual is not thorough but it does have creative control
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

I am looking at the Panasonic Lumix FZ200

Won't know what it does exactly w video since the manual is not thorough but it does have creative control

 

No manual shutter in high speed video mode.

post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

The Canon Powershot ELPH 300HS allows for slow motion video but it's limited to 30 seconds, not ideal but more than enough to record your swing. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Good camera. Does the job but I agree about the lack of capture time.

Just checked this morning and at 120fps I get about 1:45 from my ELPH 300HS, not sure about 240fps but I rarely use that as resolution is greatly deteriorated and you need a ridiculous amount of light to get some decent footage. I also like that the fact that you can slow-down playback of any fps video right on the cameras built in display which is nice if you're working on the range and want immediate review.

post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

No manual shutter in high speed video mode.

Nope

 

In manual recording (creativity) mode, it has high speed video settings of 120 fps in HD, and 240 fps in VGA.

post #9 of 35

so what does the manual shutter speed allow you to do?

post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

so what does the manual shutter speed allow you to do?

The creative video allows you to crank it to P - Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual Exposure (doubt if these would work for golf swing purposes), and

 

HS - High Speed Video.

 

From my reading, in video one should set the shutter speed - so HS is the setting one would want with the Lumix FZ200 - select 120 fps HD MP4, or 240 fps VGA MP4. With my swing speed, 120 fps is probably more than adequate ...a2_wink.gif But 240 fps is suggested ...

post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

so what does the manual shutter speed allow you to do?

 

Stop shaft blur.

 

At 240 FPS the minimum shutter speed is 1/250th of a second. But 1/2000th or so is required to stop shaft/clubhead blur. So cameras that let you set that are nice because you can set them to stop blur and get a cleaner image.

post #12 of 35

According to this site, the new ex-zr300 has twice the max shutter speed of the  ex-zr100 (1/2000 vs. 1/1000).  Don't know how reliable that site is or if you can always have it at that speed.

 

http://snapsort.com/compare/Casio-Exilim-EX-ZR300-vs-Casio_Exilim_EX-FC150

post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiralClubs View Post

According to this site, the new ex-zr300 has twice the max shutter speed of the  ex-zr100 (1/2000 vs. 1/1000).  Don't know how reliable that site is or if you can always have it at that speed.

 

http://snapsort.com/compare/Casio-Exilim-EX-ZR300-vs-Casio_Exilim_EX-FC150

 

The max shutter speed isn't the issue - it's being able to manually SET the shutter speed in high speed video modes that is necessary.

post #14 of 35

I purchased the fc-150 off of ebay a coulple of days ago.  Is this a good camera for recording the golf swing?  Cant wait to get it.  Finally going to start Evolvr.

post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot4227 View Post

I purchased the fc-150 off of ebay a coulple of days ago.  Is this a good camera for recording the golf swing?  Cant wait to get it.  Finally going to start Evolvr.

 

No manual shutter speed but if you shoot outside in decent light you should be okay.

post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

The max shutter speed isn't the issue - it's being able to manually SET the shutter speed in high speed video modes that is necessary.

 

I guess what will be interesting to see is what sort of shutter speed the newest Casios default to in HS modes. If their theoretical max speeds are higher, perhaps we can hope the auto settings start to climb too and shaft blur etc. becomes less of an issue?  

post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

No manual shutter speed but if you shoot outside in decent light you should be okay.

Seriously?  Here is what the ebayer had describing the Casio EX-FC-150

 

 

 

Excellent condition. Very hard camera to find.

Great for capturing golf swings and other fast motion. Can capture at over 200 fps with manual shutter control.


ALL of the new Casio ZR cameras (ZR10, 100, 200, 400, 1000) are poor at capturing a golf swing, for one basic reason: they have no manual shutter control during high speed video capture and, therefore, produce excessive shaft blur in the video during the downswing and near impact. DO THE RESEARCH. Google this issue and you will find out why the older Casio cameras do a far better job at slow motion video analysis for golf. Some of the new ZR series do have manual shutter control, but NOT when capturing high speed video.
 

post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

 

I guess what will be interesting to see is what sort of shutter speed the newest Casios default to in HS modes. If their theoretical max speeds are higher, perhaps we can hope the auto settings start to climb too and shaft blur etc. becomes less of an issue?  

 

As you know, they prefer slower shutter speeds because then they can still get a properly exposed image without jacking the ISO up too high.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › A camera for recording the golf swing ? EX-FH100 is the only good option out there ?