or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Paul Azinger - golf channel Academy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paul Azinger - golf channel Academy

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 
Did anyone watch the Golf Channel Academy with Paul Azinger tonight (not sure if it was new or a rerun)? I did and thought it was pretty darn good. The things that really grabbed my attention were:

1. He talked about a drill he did in college where he'd put his left foot against a wall and take an "air" swing, concentrating on hitting his left knee against that wall to initiate the downswing. This helped him get his weight forward and reminded him to start the downswing from the bottom up.

2. He specifically talked about the importance of keeping the arms in front of you and doing this by having correct elbow placement (basically, they should always point to the ground). It reminded me of the thread on the elbow thread on this site.

3. He said, unless your swing needs a major overhaul, you should get better after just 1 lesson with a pro. If you get worse after trying to implement changes from 1 lesson, you should dump the instructor. It was nice to hear a former pro say that on TV (as many of you know, 5SK guys say this all the time).

Most of the Golf Channel teaching shows usually don't grab my attention like this one did...
post #2 of 61
I didn't see it, but I never really understood this concept:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r View Post

2. He specifically talked about the importance of keeping the arms in front of you and doing this by having correct elbow placement (basically, they should always point to the ground). It reminded me of the thread on the elbow thread on this site.
Can anyone show me a picture of a pro at A4 with his arms in front of his body???

I can see how it may help as a feel to keep connected but I can also see how it could lead some people to make some pretty goofy looking swings if taken literally.

Then again, I already make some pretty goofy swings so maybe I'm missing something here.
b2_tongue.gif
post #3 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

I didn't see it, but I never really understood this concept:
Can anyone show me a picture of a pro at A4 with his arms in front of his body???

I can see how it may help as a feel to keep connected but I can also see how it could lead some people to make some pretty goofy looking swings if taken literally.

Then again, I already make some pretty goofy swings so maybe I'm missing something here.
b2_tongue.gif
At a4 his body is pointed away from the target so I think by "in front" he means in relation to where his torso is pointed. "Behind" would be how I do it, where my right arm and elbow go back around my body (towards the target) instead of staying "in front." Not good. ;)

I think. ;)
post #4 of 61
Thread Starter 
I'm no expert, either, so I shouldn't venture to guess. But I will...

I think this concept has more to do with the downswing more than anything. Also, it's really only the upper arms we are talking about. If your right elbow trailed your body throughout the downswing, only bad things are going to happen. It is much better to have that elbow lined up more with the right hip (and, thus, in front of your shoulders). I think that's where the drill of trying to FEEL like you're touching your belly button with your right elbow on the downswing comes from (even though you won't achieve that...).

Ok experts, tells us the correct answer 😊
post #5 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

At a4 his body is pointed away from the target so I think by "in front" he means in relation to where his torso is pointed. "Behind" would be how I do it, where my right arm and elbow go back around my body (towards the target) instead of staying "in front." Not good. ;)

I think. ;)

Well said. I agree. I think ;)
post #6 of 61
Ok, so I must be interpreting it wrong because when I look at this image:

I don't "see" those arms as being in front of his torso but across his torso. Definitely not behind his torso though, that would be bad! Lol.
I guess that's why I don't like that concept, it doesn't click with me. I do agree that you don't want your trail elbow getting behind you though so I get what you guys are saying, I just feel it's easily misinterpreted and not really all that accurate.

Edit* on a side note, Rory looks like he's gonna smack that ball 320+ , especially with the elevation.
d4_w00t.gif

2nd Edit** He should try releasing a little more flex in that trail knee, might start winning again... a2_wink.gif
post #7 of 61
Thread Starter 
I think these angles can be deceiving. It looks like his right elbow is flying behind him, but in relation to his shoulders (is he turning more than 90*?), it looks pretty good.
post #8 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r View Post

I think these angles can be deceiving. It looks like his right elbow is flying behind him, but in relation to his shoulders (is he turning more than 90*?), it looks pretty good.

 

Jack's left arm never gets past about the front of the ankle at the top from a down the line view. Not many still swing like that though.

post #9 of 61
Yeah, maybe I'm wording this poorly. Let me try again.

I think the problem with this advice is that most people will take it to mean that there should be an imaginary line running from your sternum to your hands and that the line should be perpendicular to your chest. They will attempt to maintain this relationship which won't work because your arms travel further than your hips which is why your lead forearm is across your chest at A4. In other words, I'm afraid some people would take this advice to mean that the relationship between your arms and chest remain constant throughout the swing, which isn't the case.

I know that is not what Azinger is telling us to do but that is how a lot of people will take it if they just hear the "tip" without a more in depth explanation. So I don't disagree with what Azinger is "really" saying, I just don't like the way the information is presented because it is so easily misinterpreted.

Seeing as I didn't see the episode I should probably be deemed OT and stop screwing up your thread! a1_smile.gif
Sorry, it's late at night and I'm just looking for a little conversation.
post #10 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Yeah, maybe I'm wording this poorly. Let me try again.

I think the problem with this advice is that most people will take it to mean that there should be an imaginary line running from your sternum to your hands and that the line should be perpendicular to your chest. They will attempt to maintain this relationship which won't work because your arms travel further than your hips which is why your lead forearm is across your chest at A4. In other words, I'm afraid some people would take this advice to mean that the relationship between your arms and chest remain constant throughout the swing, which isn't the case.

I know that is not what Azinger is telling us to do but that is how a lot of people will take it if they just hear the "tip" without a more in depth explanation. So I don't disagree with what Azinger is "really" saying, I just don't like the way the information is presented because it is so easily misinterpreted.

Seeing as I didn't see the episode I should probably be deemed OT and stop screwing up your thread! a1_smile.gif
Sorry, it's late at night and I'm just looking for a little conversation.

I seem to me that you are confusing yourself by projecting your misinterpretation to what others may think.
post #11 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax View Post


I seem to me that you are confusing yourself by projecting your misinterpretation to what others may think.

Mayhaps.

post #12 of 61

Only saw a few minutes of it.  A lot of it is just going to be how felt he swung.  Heard stuff like "loaded into my right side", "didn't slide my hips, I just turned".  One part I did like was that he drew a line and pointed out that good players will always make divots in front of the line.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

I didn't see it, but I never really understood this concept:
Can anyone show me a picture of a pro at A4 with his arms in front of his body???

I can see how it may help as a feel to keep connected but I can also see how it could lead some people to make some pretty goofy looking swings if taken literally.

Then again, I already make some pretty goofy swings so maybe I'm missing something here.
b2_tongue.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post


At a4 his body is pointed away from the target so I think by "in front" he means in relation to where his torso is pointed. "Behind" would be how I do it, where my right arm and elbow go back around my body (towards the target) instead of staying "in front." Not good. ;)

I think. ;)

 

Yeah I think it's more of a feel, might be what he thinks is actually going on, not sure.  If you have the upper arms on the body as you pivot, I can definitely see how someone could come up with that feel.  In reality, the arms load up and across the chest, bisecting the right humerus from A3-4.

 

I'd be willing to bet Azinger left out the knee linkage part, the part where says the rear knee loses flex and the left gains flex ;-)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


2nd Edit** He should try releasing a little more flex in that trail knee, might start winning again... a2_wink.gif

 

That's like A4.2, already regaining flex on the downswing

post #13 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

Yeah I think it's more of a feel, might be what he thinks is actually going on, not sure.  If you have the upper arms on the body as you pivot, I can definitely see how someone could come up with that feel.  In reality, the arms load up and across the chest, bisecting the right humerus from A3-4.

Thank you, I was hoping someone would get my point. I don't think it's terrible advice but it requires a little clarification as it can be easily misunderstood as it is definitely not "real".

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

That's like A4.2, already regaining flex on the downswing

 

Ah, that's why your an instructor and I'm a student. ;-)

post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Thank you, I was hoping someone would get my point. I don't think it's terrible advice but it requires a little clarification as it can be easily misunderstood as it is definitely not "real".

Ah, that's why your an instructor and I'm a student. a2_wink.gif

I have flip flopped on this idea throughout my learning process, but I think (now) that the arms stay more out front than across. a5_crying.gif

If you connect your hands with straight arms, and lift your hands while keeping your left arm straight and bending the right arm, the hands still feel/look out in front.
post #15 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

I didn't see it, but I never really understood this concept:
Can anyone show me a picture of a pro at A4 with his arms in front of his body???

I can see how it may help as a feel to keep connected but I can also see how it could lead some people to make some pretty goofy looking swings if taken literally.

Then again, I already make some pretty goofy swings so maybe I'm missing something here.
b2_tongue.gif

 

You don't have to keep your right elbow in front of your body but you don't want it getting way behind you.  Watching the "on the range" show on golf channel the day before a tournament I see a lot of pros practicing with a resistance band holding there elbows close together.  For righties this helps you get the feeling of keeping your right elbow close to your left elbow at A4 and then if you start your swing by sliding you left hip towards the target your hands will automatically drop into the slot.  I don't use resistance bands but when I swing at address I feel that I'm squeezing my elbows together and maintain that feeling throughout the backswing. 

post #16 of 61
I was reading a Twitter thread which involved Azinger and a guy asked how to get divot on forward side of ball, Bobby Clampett drill? Azinger replied stop trying to get hands ahead of ball, weight transfer will accomplish that.

I guess that'll work for some people but to get hands forward I need to think it. Whether my hands are over active, I dunno. It's in his timeline, 1/7 ~4pm
post #17 of 61

Some "Feel Ain't Real" stuff going on here:

 

 

BTW, the Mac at the end is not O'Grady. Someone else. And this segment isn't "bad" but I wouldn't call it "great" either.

post #18 of 61

Just saw the part where he was talking about bumping his left knee into a wall, good demonstration of Key #2 :-)

 

Then saw him say how one of his keys was thinking "level turn" or something like that.  Again that may be a feel he had but should be clarified that he doesn't actually turn level to the ground.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Paul Azinger - golf channel Academy