or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Ben Hogan irons might return in 2015
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ben Hogan irons might return in 2015

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 

The news has been around for a while, I read it first yesterday.

 

One of the many sources:

http://theaposition.com/golf-equipment/golf/equipment/6645/ben-hogan-co-planning-2015-comeback

 

Since former Hogan staff from Ft. Worth is involved, I am truly thrilled :D

 

Quote:

In the early 1990s, the Ben Hogan Company was one of golf industry’s top equipment company in the irons market place. The company’s Edge and Apex forged irons were among the top iron lines in the game. But the company – like many others – hit tough times in the late ‘90s, was sold a couple of times, including to Callaway Golf Co., and fell off the radar.

Ben Hogan Co.'s legendary Apex iron

Ben Hogan Co.’s legendary Apex iron

Now, Oscar Feldenkreis, president of Perry Ellis International and Terry Koehler, president of Eidolon Brands, LLC have announced the Ben Hogan Company will return to the business of club-making in 2015.  This re-introduction of Ben Hogan golf clubs coincides with the 60thanniversary of the introduction of the first Ben Hogan irons in the fall 1954. Ben Hogan founded the company in 1953 in Fort Worth, Texas.

“Since our purchase of the Ben Hogan brands in 2012, we have been contacted by many parties inquiring about the return of this revered brand to the equipment business,’’ Feldemkreis said.  “After much deliberation, we are excited to have Eidolon Brands reintroduce the Ben Hogan brand back into the golf equipment sector.”

“Respecting the history and the legacy that Ben Hogan built with the golfing public, we were determined to find just the right group to drive that effort.  As we became more acquainted with Terry Koehler and Eidolon Brands, it became clear that this company exhibits the values, spirit and passion that Ben Hogan always represented to the golf community.’’

Koehler, President/CEO of Eidolon Brands, is a former director of marketing of the Ben Hogan Company.

Koehler said creating the ‘new’ Ben Hogan Company represents an opportunity to honor the legacy of two of his heroes – his father and Ben Hogan.

“My golf life began with an introduction to Mr. Hogan’s values and principles from my father,” Koehler said. “He played with Mr. Hogan before the war and considered him a true hero, so I did, too.  I grew up with ‘Power Golf’ and ‘Five Lessons’ as my golf textbooks, and always played Hogan irons from my very first cut-down 5- and 9-iron.  To be in a position to assemble and lead a team of equally committed Hogan disciples is an honor I could not even have imagined.”

According to Koehler, an R&D team has already been working on the new Ben Hogan club designs, and the first offerings are targeted for introduction in 2015.

“We are studying all the things Mr. Hogan believed about golf clubs, and dissecting early Ben Hogan designs to understand his performance principles and knowledge of what a golf club should do,” Koehler said. “There was a wealth of genius in those early clubs.  Our commitment to the Ben Hogan legacy is to ensure that every product delivers unmatched precision and dedication to the art of shot-making, providing equipment that allows golfers of all abilities the opportunity to optimize their skills.”

 
post #2 of 23

Interesting news, hope they come out with some good stuff. I'm a big fan of those '99 Apex musclebacks.

 

post #3 of 23

I hope they make a comeback. They really did make some of the prettiest irons out there. I know i will probably never play musclebacks such as the pictured but i sure like looking at them!

post #4 of 23

GolfWorld magazine reported today Eidolon Golf has entered into a licensing agreement with Perry Ellis to produce Ben Hogan golf equipment. The project is being led by EG president/CEO Terry Koehler, once the director of marketing for the Hogan company. There is no timetable for delivering the clubs for sale, due to Koehler's desire to "do this right." Look for irons sometime in 2015, though.

 

Perry Ellis, the up-scale clothing firm, bought the Ben Hogan brand from Callaway in 2012.

post #5 of 23
I'm incredibly excited about the prospect of new offerings from Hogan back on the market! Always been one of my favorites. Currently have my Apex Plus irons in the bag... Just a sweet, sweet set of clubs!

Unfortunately from what I understand, the rights to the name Apex remain with Callaway and were not transferred to Ellis.
post #6 of 23

I sincerely do hope Ben Hogan make a comeback, however I also hope it's not in the guise of low cost garbage that will cheapen the heritage of this once great brand. Hopefully, they won't go down the same route as some other brands that look more at home in supermarkets rather than proshops - e.g. Macgregor, Ram, Snake Eyes etc. 

A quality forged blade would be a prerequisite in their range I would suggest.

post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemicu View Post
 

I sincerely do hope Ben Hogan make a comeback, however I also hope it's not in the guise of low cost garbage that will cheapen the heritage of this once great brand. Hopefully, they won't go down the same route as some other brands that look more at home in supermarkets rather than proshops - e.g. Macgregor, Ram, Snake Eyes etc. 

A quality forged blade would be a prerequisite in their range I would suggest.

I hope so too. They are being made by Eidolon Golf, who have made some nice wedges under the SCOR golf brand.

post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

I hope so too. They are being made by Eidolon Golf, who have made some nice wedges under the SCOR golf brand.

See, this is part of the problem. I assume SCOR make some pretty decent wedges, but they have to resort to shopping channel BS sales tactics to get any sales against market leaders - you only have to look at their website and their pricing structure to realise they are a mile away from being a premium brand. Considering you can get a market leading wedge with tour validation much cheaper too, means they are frankly delusional. Throwing Ben Hogan into the same sort of marketing would be either a desperate act to prop up a  wedge brand lacking in sales, or financial disaster for a brand that deserves to be sold on it's own merit - rather than BS. In an industry already dominated by established brands producing quality forged clubs, I would think that the hopes of selling the Hogan brand would be well advised to distance itself from such marketing employed by SCOR.

post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemicu View Post
 

See, this is part of the problem. I assume SCOR make some pretty decent wedges, but they have to resort to shopping channel BS sales tactics to get any sales against market leaders - you only have to look at their website and their pricing structure to realise they are a mile away from being a premium brand. Considering you can get a market leading wedge with tour validation much cheaper too, means they are frankly delusional. Throwing Ben Hogan into the same sort of marketing would be either a desperate act to prop up a  wedge brand lacking in sales, or financial disaster for a brand that deserves to be sold on it's own merit - rather than BS. In an industry already dominated by established brands producing quality forged clubs, I would think that the hopes of selling the Hogan brand would be well advised to distance itself from such marketing employed by SCOR.

OK.

post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 

Just stumbled over a longer article on that matter at pgatour.com

 

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2014/05/20/ben-hogan-golf-clubs-terry-koehler.html

 

Quote:

Return of a legendary brand

A disciple of the late Ben Hogan has plans to bring back his line of golf clubs. Will he live up to the Hawk's demanding standards?

 

 

Terry Koehler is a fourth-generation Texan and loves golf, so it's no surprise that he grew up idolizing Ben Hogan.

The textbooks of his youth were Hogan's "Power Golf" and "Five Lessons," two of the sport's seminal instructional books. His very first set of clubs were cut-down Hogan 5- and 9-irons.

That reverance and respect for Hogan continues to this day. In his office, Koehler has a variety of Hogan mementoes. While discussing Hogan's career, he can rattle off stats and records, even the most obscure ones. The number of consecutive greens Hogan hit during the 1960 U.S. Open? The number of 5s Hogan had on his scorecard at the 1950 Greenbrier Pro-Am?

Koehler has the answers. He is a walking Hogan encyclopedia.

But his association with Hogan is more than just mere fan. For a three-year period in the 1990s, Koehler actually worked for the legend as the marketing director for the Ben Hogan Company. It was the thrill of a lifetime and also the most intimidating.

It was Hogan, after all. His idol.

"I'm a Hogan disciple," Koehler unabashedly declares.

In 1997, Hogan passed away. Eleven years later, the last shipment of golf clubs with the Ben Hogan name were produced, a victim of business shortcomings more than club quality. Since then, the Ben Hogan line has been dormant, fading into memory even as Hogan's legacy itself endures.

Last August, Koehler, as president/CEO of Eidolon Brand, acted on an idea that's been brewing in his mind for some time. He approached the Perry Ellis company, the last owner of the Hogan brand, to discuss the idea of giving life to the Hogan line of clubs. He told them he already had interest from people who had worked with Hogan, who knew the quality of clubs that needed to be produced, who would not compromise on quality.

The first question the Perry Ellis representatives had for him: Why?

"I told them we were the Ben Hogan Company right here in Texas," Koehler said. "We live by his principals. We live by his values. We live by his guidance about golf clubs.

"I have 160 years of Ben Hogan experience in my key managers. We're it.

"We just didn't have the Hogan name."

He does now. 

...

more at http://www.pgatour.com/news/2014/05/20/ben-hogan-golf-clubs-terry-koehler.html

 
post #11 of 23

I just saw this story (about Perry Ellis bringing back Hogan clubs) - I am pretty excited about this, if they do it right.

 

I've been starting to think about needing to get some new irons in a year or three; I'm currently playing Hogan Edge CFT circa 2003 which replaced my Hogan Apex PC set circa 1988.

post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemicu View Post
 

See, this is part of the problem. I assume SCOR make some pretty decent wedges, but they have to resort to shopping channel BS sales tactics to get any sales against market leaders - you only have to look at their website and their pricing structure to realise they are a mile away from being a premium brand. Considering you can get a market leading wedge with tour validation much cheaper too, means they are frankly delusional. Throwing Ben Hogan into the same sort of marketing would be either a desperate act to prop up a  wedge brand lacking in sales, or financial disaster for a brand that deserves to be sold on it's own merit - rather than BS. In an industry already dominated by established brands producing quality forged clubs, I would think that the hopes of selling the Hogan brand would be well advised to distance itself from such marketing employed by SCOR.

SCOR golf makes premium wedges which are priced higher than most Vokey wedges so not sure if you have them confused with someone else or if they are represented differently across the pond.

post #13 of 23

Don't think I'd every play blade/muscle-backs, but if they came out with new irons that look anything like those classic ones and perform well I'd be tempted just so I could see them sitting in my bag.  Beautiful.

post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

SCOR golf makes premium wedges which are priced higher than most Vokey wedges so not sure if you have them confused with someone else or if they are represented differently across the pond.

Am I confused? What wedges do you have in your bag and why? They're not Scor wedges are they?

 

Here's the deal:

Scor wedges are not available in multiple finish options

Scor don't think multiple sole grind options are a good idea

Scor wedges do not offer custom stamping and multiple grip and shaft options like anyone else

Scor wedges are not in anyone's tour bag (that I know of)

Scor wedges would rather waste money making multiple individual lofts and stamping them in 1 degree increments - a bit dumb considering their opinion on bounce.

Scor wedges are not true forged clubs - and never will be

Scor wedges have the cheek to charge more than market leading wedges that offer all the options they don't.

 

I don't know about you, but the last time I checked their webpage, it looked like something from the shopping channel - which is probably where they need to be.

I don't know about you either, but anyone who thinks the Hogan brand can be revived to a level that it was once renowned for - by a company as delusional as the proprietors of Scor wedges - then I'm afraid you may be in for a long wait. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat my own words.

post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemicu View Post
 

Am I confused? What wedges do you have in your bag and why? They're not Scor wedges are they?

 

Here's the deal:

Scor wedges are not available in multiple finish options

Scor don't think multiple sole grind options are a good idea

Scor wedges do not offer custom stamping and multiple grip and shaft options like anyone else

Scor wedges are not in anyone's tour bag (that I know of)

Scor wedges would rather waste money making multiple individual lofts and stamping them in 1 degree increments - a bit dumb considering their opinion on bounce.

Scor wedges are not true forged clubs - and never will be

Scor wedges have the cheek to charge more than market leading wedges that offer all the options they don't.

 

I don't know about you, but the last time I checked their webpage, it looked like something from the shopping channel - which is probably where they need to be.

I don't know about you either, but anyone who thinks the Hogan brand can be revived to a level that it was once renowned for - by a company as delusional as the proprietors of Scor wedges - then I'm afraid you may be in for a long wait. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat my own words.

 

I'm not the poster to whom this is directed, but I will chime in anyway because this is the internet!

 

I have SCOR wedges in my bag and absolutely LOVE them.

  • "SCOR wedges are not available in multiple finish options."  This is TRUE, and I know a lot of people like their different finishes, but that has no effect on performance.  Silver is nice IMHO.
  • "SCOR don't think multiple sole grind options are a good idea."  I think it is really more like SCOR doesn't think multiple sole grinds are necessary.  (From my experience with the clubs, I think this is true.)
  • "SCOR wedges do not offer custom stamping and multiple grip and shaft options like everyone else."  You can get ANY shaft or grip your heart desires if it is available for sale in the US.  Call 'em on the phone and ask for it.  I didn't ask for custom stampings, but even more than finish options, no effect on performance.
  • "SCOR wedges are not in anyone's tour bag (that I know of)."  I don't know of any either, those guys and gals generally want to be paid to use clubs, and most (all?) iron manufacturers have a wedge line they want to showcase.  Perhaps with Hogan irons to go along with them some will appear in the next few years?
  • "SCOR would rather waste money on multiple individual lofts and stamping them in 1 degree increments - a bit dumb considering their opinion on bounce"  Well, gee...  You're not supposed to buy 'em in one degree increments, you are supposed to be able to buy them in INCREMENTAL STEPS based on the specs of your iron set.  I don't see that bounce is involved in this...
  • "SCOR wedges are not true forged clubs - and never will be."  I agree that their "Hammer Forged" process doesn't create a "real" forged club, the ones in my bag currently will, thus, never be anything but Hammer Forged.  Now, if they go into Hogan iron production and are getting "real" forgings for those perhaps it will change, don't know.  For what it's worth, the SCOR wedges feel quite nice, but that's compared to the cast stainless clubs I play so...
  • "SCOR wedges have the cheek to charge more than market leading wedges that offer all the options they don't."  Yeah... what can I say, Aston Martin has the cheek to charge more than Chevrolet for their cars and they don't even have a decent SUV with third row seating as an option.

 

I have no idea how the revived Hogan brand will fare either, but I certainly hope they do well.  I suspect Perry Ellis has pretty deep pockets so if they are committed to making it work it just may. 

post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemicu View Post
 

Am I confused? What wedges do you have in your bag and why? They're not Scor wedges are they?

 

Here's the deal:

Scor wedges are not available in multiple finish options

Scor don't think multiple sole grind options are a good idea

Scor wedges do not offer custom stamping and multiple grip and shaft options like anyone else

Scor wedges are not in anyone's tour bag (that I know of)

Scor wedges would rather waste money making multiple individual lofts and stamping them in 1 degree increments - a bit dumb considering their opinion on bounce.

Scor wedges are not true forged clubs - and never will be

Scor wedges have the cheek to charge more than market leading wedges that offer all the options they don't.

 

I don't know about you, but the last time I checked their webpage, it looked like something from the shopping channel - which is probably where they need to be.

I don't know about you either, but anyone who thinks the Hogan brand can be revived to a level that it was once renowned for - by a company as delusional as the proprietors of Scor wedges - then I'm afraid you may be in for a long wait. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat my own words.

You do realize that Vokeys aren't forged either, right?

post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJim View Post
 

 

I'm not the poster to whom this is directed, but I will chime in anyway because this is the internet!

 

I have SCOR wedges in my bag and absolutely LOVE them.

  • "SCOR wedges are not available in multiple finish options."  This is TRUE, and I know a lot of people like their different finishes, but that has no effect on performance.  Silver is nice IMHO.
  • "SCOR don't think multiple sole grind options are a good idea."  I think it is really more like SCOR doesn't think multiple sole grinds are necessary.  (From my experience with the clubs, I think this is true.)
  • "SCOR wedges do not offer custom stamping and multiple grip and shaft options like everyone else."  You can get ANY shaft or grip your heart desires if it is available for sale in the US.  Call 'em on the phone and ask for it.  I didn't ask for custom stampings, but even more than finish options, no effect on performance.
  • "SCOR wedges are not in anyone's tour bag (that I know of)."  I don't know of any either, those guys and gals generally want to be paid to use clubs, and most (all?) iron manufacturers have a wedge line they want to showcase.  Perhaps with Hogan irons to go along with them some will appear in the next few years?
  • "SCOR would rather waste money on multiple individual lofts and stamping them in 1 degree increments - a bit dumb considering their opinion on bounce"  Well, gee...  You're not supposed to buy 'em in one degree increments, you are supposed to be able to buy them in INCREMENTAL STEPS based on the specs of your iron set.  I don't see that bounce is involved in this...
  • "SCOR wedges are not true forged clubs - and never will be."  I agree that their "Hammer Forged" process doesn't create a "real" forged club, the ones in my bag currently will, thus, never be anything but Hammer Forged.  Now, if they go into Hogan iron production and are getting "real" forgings for those perhaps it will change, don't know.  For what it's worth, the SCOR wedges feel quite nice, but that's compared to the cast stainless clubs I play so...
  • "SCOR wedges have the cheek to charge more than market leading wedges that offer all the options they don't."  Yeah... what can I say, Aston Martin has the cheek to charge more than Chevrolet for their cars and they don't even have a decent SUV with third row seating as an option.

 

I have no idea how the revived Hogan brand will fare either, but I certainly hope they do well.  I suspect Perry Ellis has pretty deep pockets so if they are committed to making it work it just may.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

You do realize that Vokeys aren't forged either, right?

@Nemicu seems to have an axe (or wedge) to grind with SCOR so I saw no reason to respond.  I have used SCOR wedges and will put them back in my bag once the ground hardens up here in NY.

 

I think SCOR will do a respectable job with the Hogan name, can't be any worse than Callaway's last iterations.  I don't know if anyone could make the Hogan brand in clubs what they used to be, most people probably don't even know who Ben Hogan is.

post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

You do realize that Vokeys aren't forged either, right?

My first thought as well.  Same is true for the Ping Tour wedges.

 

My second (related) thought is "Who gives a **** if they're forged or not?" ;)  (Oh, yeah, it's that butter thing, huh?)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Ben Hogan irons might return in 2015