or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Paired-up with a slow 3-some today......... Aaaaaargh!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paired-up with a slow 3-some today......... Aaaaaargh!!

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

I played my early 18 as a 3-some today.  We teed off at 7am and were finished by 10am.  Good stuff......

 

 

Then I decided to go out and play a 2nd 18 later in the afternoon.  I paired with 3 guys and at least 2 of them lost balls on EVERY HOLE!!!!   The course was packed and I knew the pace wouldn't be brisk, but we were that 1 group that couldn't keep up in spite of the slow play in front of us!!   The 1 group I HATE being paired with more than any other is the group that can't keep up.

 

These damn guys spent most of their time wandering aimlessly in the abyss  hunting for lost golf balls.   If you play a tough course and spray the ball, please don't be personally attached to each and every God d@mn golf ball.    Come prepared with lots of AMMO, take a drop and move on already.....  Gezus H Christ!

 

Rant off.....

post #2 of 28

3 Dozen Slazenger Raw Distance for $25,,,lol!

 

When my Father in law first took up the game he had this idea in his head that if he hit a ball in the woods or water he couldn't move on until he at least fished another ball out of the hazard area. So over the course of a few birthdays and Holidays I filled his garage with 3 dozen deals of Slazenger's and Rock-Flights. The corner of his garage looks like a Dick's Sporting Goods ball display but I finally got him to just "drop and go" and stop fishing around.

 

Beginners and high handicaps, buy the dirt cheap ammo and burn it up!!!! Shoot that shit up like Tony Montana in Scarface and stop worrying about looking endlessly for lost balls.

 

 

 

One thing I do when paired with guy's that can't keep up(besides constantly saying in a nice voice "hey were out of position") is I just keep walking forward to the side staying about 50 yards ahead of them so they have a constant and continuous reminder that they are behind and someone(me) is having to wait on them!! Of course you have to keep your head up because if their slow their likely a little wild but I stay pretty far over in the rough and have never been hit,,,,,,yet!

post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut View Post
 

I played my early 18 as a 3-some today.  We teed off at 7am and were finished by 10am.  Good stuff......

 

 

Then I decided to go out and play a 2nd 18 later in the afternoon.  I paired with 3 guys and at least 2 of them lost balls on EVERY HOLE!!!!   The course was packed and I knew the pace wouldn't be brisk, but we were that 1 group that couldn't keep up in spite of the slow play in front of us!!   The 1 group I HATE being paired with more than any other is the group that can't keep up.

 

These damn guys spent most of their time wandering aimlessly in the abyss  hunting for lost golf balls.   If you play a tough course and spray the ball, please don't be personally attached to each and every God d@mn golf ball.    Come prepared with lots of AMMO, take a drop and move on already.....  Gezus H Christ!

 

Rant off.....

 

I'm with you.  I find that more frustrating than following that group.  At least when we're waiting on the group in front, we can have that superior feeling of not being the problem.  When I'm paired with "that group" I feel embarrassed, even though I know it's not my fault.  I feel that the players behind me are looking straight at me and blaming me for the delays.  I play some of my worst rounds that way because I feel like I have rush to make up for the laggards I'm paired with.

post #4 of 28
Must be something in the air, happened to me too. Worst golf I've ever seen. They were flat out clueless. Two groups caught us on the back. I started picking up putts just to move along. I've never been in the problem group.
post #5 of 28
This is my biggest fear as a high handi capper. I know I can not get an accurate score doing this but my max on any hole is 3 over par. At this point I pick up the ball and try again on the next hole. As for lost balls I have found the balance of paying $15 for a dozen balls so I don't want to lose them but they are not $5 balls that need to search forever to find them. I give myself about a minute to look where I thought it went and if I don't find I drop where I thought it was and count a stroke. This is not the right way to play I know but it keeps me from being paranoid about my game and keeps the pace going. As I improve I know I will have to change.
post #6 of 28

For the guys talking about shooting lots of ammo, what's the best "cheap" ball out there for this kind of play? I try to play lots of new courses and although I'm usually hitting the ball decently, I get into trouble for simply not always knowing what's in front of me. 

Also is there a particular store that holds the best deals?

post #7 of 28
Each of the big retailers has their budget store brand. I play Callaways and Titleists because I make solid contact now, but my brother loses about 10 balls a round and he gets his Top Flites very cheaply from Dicks, which were also the ball I first bought when I started. The Top Flite XL Distance and their slightly better cousin the Inferno are way less than $1 a ball and go super far. They're complete rocks and I'd never play them because I'm some combination of ball snob and paranoid about spin into greens, but they definitely help with distance for beginners and are cheap to lose. Top Flite also makes the better Gamer balls that are much more playable for people who grow out of the XL distance / Inferno models. Sports Authority has their Tommy Armour and Ram brands for practically free as well. I'm not 100% sure which brand belongs to Golfsmith, but I think it's Lynx and Snake Eyes.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkolo View Post

Each of the big retailers has their budget store brand. I play Callaways and Titleists because I make solid contact now, but my brother loses about 10 balls a round and he gets his Top Flites very cheaply from Dicks, which were also the ball I first bought when I started. The Top Flite XL Distance and their slightly better cousin the Inferno are way less than $1 a ball and go super far. They're complete rocks and I'd never play them because I'm some combination of ball snob and paranoid about spin into greens, but they definitely help with distance for beginners and are cheap to lose. Top Flite also makes the better Gamer balls that are much more playable for people who grow out of the XL distance / Inferno models. Sports Authority has their Tommy Armour and Ram brands for practically free as well. I'm not 100% sure which brand belongs to Golfsmith, but I think it's Lynx and Snake Eyes.

Nice thanks, I don't know too much about golf balls, however at the training facility I go to...they have 80%-90% generic balls and about 10-20% Pro V 1's. There is definitely a massive difference when chipping/hitting approach shots into the practice green between the two. I love the spin/stoppage the Pro V 1's have.  

as far as feel goes...I'd love to have some spin on my approach shots and a soft feel off the tee. I assume this is where I start getting into the more expensive balls. Anyone know what the cheapest "soft feel ball that you can put an average amount of spin on" is? 

post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Nice thanks, I don't know too much about golf balls, however at the training facility I go to...they have 80%-90% generic balls and about 10-20% Pro V 1's. There is definitely a massive difference when chipping/hitting approach shots into the practice green between the two. I love the spin/stoppage the Pro V 1's have.  


as far as feel goes...I'd love to have some spin on my approach shots and a soft feel off the tee. I assume this is where I start getting into the more expensive balls. Anyone know what the cheapest "soft feel ball that you can put an average amount of spin on" is? 

If you google something along the lines of "Golf Digest" and "ball spin chart," I know they do an annual graph of how much spin different models of balls get off of wedges in their testing, and they break it down into tiers by price. That'd be a great jumping off point. I'm sure other sources do similar lists / comparisons. I'm on my phone, or I'd link to it myself.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkolo View Post


If you google something along the lines of "Golf Digest" and "ball spin chart," I know they do an annual graph of how much spin different models of balls get off of wedges in their testing, and they break it down into tiers by price. That'd be a great jumping off point. I'm sure other sources do similar lists / comparisons. I'm on my phone, or I'd link to it myself.

Nice, i checked it out, based on what I read...the Bridgestone E6 sounded pretty good....or maybe the Callaway super soft...I do love that soft feel. 

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
 

Anyone know what the cheapest "soft feel ball that you can put an average amount of spin on" is? 

 

The Precept Laddie X is far and away the best-feeling "cheap" ball I've ever experienced. They're $20 or two dozen at regular price at Walmart or K-Mart and I've seen them on special for as low as $12. They might not be around much longer, though, as it appears as if Bridgestone is phasing out the Precept brand entirely.

 

I'll play a Laddie X anytime, anywhere with no qualms.

post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchparrot19 View Post
 

 

The Precept Laddie X is far and away the best-feeling "cheap" ball I've ever experienced. They're $20 or two dozen at regular price at Walmart or K-Mart and I've seen them on special for as low as $12. They might not be around much longer, though, as it appears as if Bridgestone is phasing out the Precept brand entirely.

 

I'll play a Laddie X anytime, anywhere with no qualms.

Good to know. Thanks!

post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkolo View Post


If you google something along the lines of "Golf Digest" and "ball spin chart," I know they do an annual graph of how much spin different models of balls get off of wedges in their testing, and they break it down into tiers by price. That'd be a great jumping off point. I'm sure other sources do similar lists / comparisons. I'm on my phone, or I'd link to it myself.

I've been going through different reviews all over the internet after you posted this...I think once my ball striking becomes a little more consistent, I'm going to start playing one ball exclusively so I know exactly what it's going to do (especially around the greens). I'm almost positive I'm going to end up going with the Callaway super-soft. A little bit more expensive then the "cheapies" out there...but nowhere near the price of a pro v1.

post #14 of 28
Another vote for the Laddie. I play them all the time. I could probably upgrade because I do not lose balls much anymore, but I like them anyway.
post #15 of 28
To the OP,

Did you guys fall behind the group in front of you?

If so, did you say anything to your playing partners about picking up the pace?
post #16 of 28
You should have mentioned to them that they could get a whole bucket of balls for $5 at the range! a2_wink.gif
post #17 of 28
I played a very tough course today ... Knew it was tough, with LOTS of elevated tees ... Went and bought used balls ... $1 a piece ... I will not even leave the fairway to look for them ...

Nine penalty shots ...

I swear you should have to have a certain HC to play some courses ... I hate courses that are on the side of a mountain range ... Hate them!! I would not have gone today, but it was a real good golf buddy that is moving away ... They wanted to play a "pretty" course ... Views are spectacular for sure, but courses with views equate to bring at least a dozen balls you are willing to loose ...

(P.s. To all the folks that are wound tight about the rules, this round did not count toward my HC, I am sure I broke more than one rule dropping on the fairway today) a3_biggrin.gif
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

You should have mentioned to them that they could get a whole bucket of balls for $5 at the range! a2_wink.gif

 

 

On this one course I played two weeks ago. This house next to the course had a table out with a lot of egg cartons filled with golf balls. It seems they fish them out of the pond near their house. They were selling them for 1 dollar a golf ball. There was premium golf balls in there as well. Though no Pro-V1's. I think they kept those. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Paired-up with a slow 3-some today......... Aaaaaargh!!