IGNORED

Will Jordan Spieth Come Back?

1 hour ago, iacas said:

So, I’ll turn it back around on you: why GG?

I look at it kinda like Lawrence Fishburn’s character from ‘ Looking for Bobby Fisher’ vs Ben Kingsley’s character. McCormick of course being Ben Kingsley. Maybe Spieth needs a little more of an aggressive approach, more technology and a bit of an edgy instructor.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a huge Spieth fan (not quite to the point of @colin007 and Tiger, but close) However, I struggle to see him putting it back together. He has become more twitchy with his pre-shoot routine (al

He channeled his inner Els for the putting and Sergio for the green damage.

Some of that is smoke and mirrors. When we were consulting, we saw a few bits of data like this (I’m going to slightly inflate some of these numbers to make the point): Imagine a par four wh

Posted Images

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I look at it kinda like Lawrence Fishburn’s character from ‘ Looking for Bobby Fisher’ vs Ben Kingsley’s character. McCormick of course being Ben Kingsley. Maybe Spieth needs a little more of an aggressive approach, more technology and a bit of an edgy instructor.

That’s generally not how this works.

22 hours ago, iacas said:

I can elaborate, I just sometimes don’t want to.

Why would George be a “good fit”? Because he’s a “hot” instructor right now? What about GG makes him a good fit to take over with Jordan Spieth? What problem does Jordan have that George can fix?

So, I’ll turn it back around on you: why GG?

You're the expert here! I have no particular insight on why Jordan went from top 5 to lower tier pro. I'm not really arguing for it, but given my limited knowledge the best reason I could give for GG is that he seems like he's really flexible in specifics of the swing, and attitude/mindset seems like a big focus for him. So maybe that would be good for Spieth?

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, mdl said:

GG is that he seems like he's really flexible in specifics of the swing

Don't know that I'd agree with that.

Jordan, from what I've heard, has some mechanical issues. The mental issues stem from that.

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

A report showed Spieth recently visited with Harmon to see whether he was on the right track.  

I saw a bunch of articles “confirming” that today.

Then I read that Butch denies it...

As far as “where there’s smoke, there’s fire” ...there seems to be a lot of smoke right now.

I don’t know what to believe

11 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I saw a bunch of articles “confirming” that today.

Then I read that Butch denies it...

As far as “where there’s smoke, there’s fire” ...there seems to be a lot of smoke right now.

I don’t know what to believe

Harmon said no in reference to being his new coach, as Cameron remains in that position.  So maybe Spieth still saw him, but just for a second pair of eyes? 

29 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Harmon said no in reference to being his new coach, as Cameron remains in that position.  So maybe Spieth still saw him, but just for a second pair of eyes? 

That’s a good call. I certinly hope it’s true... 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, phillyk said:

A report showed Spieth recently visited with Harmon to see whether he was on the right track.  

Butch saw him for two hours before the CJ Cup.

Maybe he told him to get forward more, and he went back to check on whether he was doing that.

• Informative 1

Apparently, Spieth was on Sirius radio and had some quotes about his  swing.

You’ve all prob read the articles by now, but I’ll post a quote below

“I kind of got to where I was swinging behind me instead of in front of me. “What that means is I just kind of get — that right elbow just got going a little wild on me. And so it could go up and go back behind my torso. 

“What I didn’t realize I did so well for a number of years is being able to swing in front of my body, pretty much taking it back and through. It just kind of gradually started getting more and more behind me, and, all of a sudden, I found myself late into the ball, and from there, you just can’t play consistent golf — you’re relying too much on your hands at impact. It just becomes a significant challenge through the bag, and obviously as you go up the bag, you’re one or two degrees off becomes way more widespread.”

• Thanks 1

I have a friend who is very consistent, down the middle, sufficient distance, 50ish.  He shoots in the mid to high 70's.  I brought up the Spieth article yesterday while playing.  He said he is the same... knows nothing about the intricacies of the golf swing.  He is self-taught and just plays.  Never thinks about his swing.  I love that innocence.  

More.  I change swing keys 3-4 times a round.  My friend changes swing keys 3-4 times a century.

I wonder how long Spieth knew/thought this is/was the problem? I mean damn, In my complete speculation and zero experience as an instructor I think this is something a professional instructor could get a hold of. Maybe McCormick identified it but Spieth just can’t find a way to correct it. 

47 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I wonder how long Spieth knew/thought this is/was the problem? I mean damn, In my complete speculation and zero experience as an instructor I think this is something a professional instructor could get a hold of. Maybe McCormick identified it but Spieth just can’t find a way to correct it. 

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking!

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, iacas said:

image.png

Nice...but if he shoots 76 tomorrow...it’s over. 😃

9 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Hasn’t the weekend been the real issue for him?

Yes. And rather profoundly. Don’t remember the exact numbers but something like top 5 lowest Rd 1-2 and bottom 200 Rd 3-4