IGNORED

Will Jordan Spieth Come Back?

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As much as I hate to turn a discussion away from Tiger, I thought I’d get your opinions on JS. I mean, WTF has happened to him, He’s approaching his pal Smylie Kauffman’s status. 

Any of you low ballers/tournament players have such a drought?  Seems like any time JS says he’s ‘progressing’ he has another blow up. What’s wrong with him? Your thoughts?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don’t think his glutes are firing properly...  :-D

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Ranking for strokes gained (Off the tee, Approaches, Short Game, Putting)

2015 - 15th, 11th, 7th, 9th
2016 - 29th, 88th, 24th, 2nd
2017 - 44th, 2nd, 8th, 48th
2018 - 50th, 33rd, 49th, 123rd
2019 - 203rd, 111th, 82nd, 69th

It looks like he just lost his entire game. He went from top 15 in every category to outside the top 50 in each category! 

No clue what is going on with him. I always thought his putting was going to come back down to earth a bit. He's not a particularly great putter inside of 10 FT. 

I didn't think his long game would abandon him. 

• Informative 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

12 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Ranking for strokes gained (Off the tee, Approaches, Short Game, Putting)

2015 - 15th, 11th, 7th, 9th
2016 - 29th, 88th, 24th, 2nd
2017 - 44th, 2nd, 8th, 48th
2018 - 50th, 33rd, 49th, 123rd
2019 - 203rd, 111th, 82nd, 69th

It looks like he just lost his entire game. He went from top 15 in every category to outside the top 50 in each category! 

No clue what is going on with him. I always thought his putting was going to come back down to earth a bit. He's not a particularly great putter inside of 10 FT. 

I didn't think his long game would abandon him. 

Yeah and he was moving along fairly well int the RBC then today shot +4 I believe. DJ had a collapse shooting +7 on the back 9, but DJ's fine. Just seems JS is lost. I wonder if he's just too emotionally connected to Cameron Mcormick to seek other coaching. I mean let's face it, JS is a tremendous talent and I think CM pretty much just got a free ride to 'stardom' through him. Nobody would know who he is if it wasn't for JS. Not the other way around. JS would've been JS without CM I believe. Any way it just seems like he needs to do something more progressive because this 'I'm progressing' is pure denial imo. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Swing changes. I don't understand why he felt the need to do this, but he might as well keep his head down and try to reach the light at the end of the tunnel. Once enough time passes and he is more comfortable with the swing changes, I expect him to be a Top 10-20 guy again. 

I think he will...he's too good not to.  

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Depends on your definition of come back.  Be an elite player who could potentially challenge, then yes.  But be the dominant level player he was a few years back when he was realistically expected to win majors, and did so, then NO.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

1 hour ago, Dr. Manhattan said:

Swing changes. I don't understand why he felt the need to do this, but he might as well keep his head down and try to reach the light at the end of the tunnel. Once enough time passes and he is more comfortable with the swing changes, I expect him to be a Top 10-20 guy again. 

I do! Parking too large a percentage of drives in the woods to the right will do that! Let's face it, we all knew where Spieth would lose his tee shot! Remember the Open Championship with Kooch?! He put that ball so far right, he actually had a chance to recover from it. Kind of like Tiger at 11 at the Masters this year! 

Spieth's recovery, and charge to win were incredible! I hope he gets his game back, because as goofy as it is, it made tournaments interesting! You never knew what the dude might do! 

He just needs to remember to keep his head down, point the face where he wants the ball to finish, and release the club head

• Like 1

Colin P.

He always talked about his “team”. Ultimately, he’s the guy with the club in his hands. And ultimately he gets the say on his team. 

Since he’s the one that has to be involved, maybe it’s time to re-evaluate the team. 

I’m pulling for him.

39 minutes ago, LMoore said:

He always talked about his “team”. Ultimately, he’s the guy with the club in his hands. And ultimately he gets the say on his team. 

Since he’s the one that has to be involved, maybe it’s time to re-evaluate the team. 

I’m pulling for him.

Yeah I’m starting to believe this may be necessary. It’s not like he’s just hitting errant drives and needs to make an adjustment. His entire game has collapsed as @saevel25 posted with his stats. We’ve all heard a pro say he’s had some issues and worked them out with his coach. But how long has this slump been going on with JS? It started with his putting. It’s now spread to the rest of his game. He needs to seek help elsewhere at this point I think.

I hope he does turn it around. He looks lost at times. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

I don't see any changes to his team coming any time soon. I see flashes where he gets it back, and that's kind of how these things often tend to go. Feels change every day to day, and I think he'll sort it out.

The stuff said against Cameron above is pretty bad - he's a good instructor and would be regardless of whether he'd have hitched his trailer to Jordan Spieth.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I know this is too often used as there are likely mechanical issues as well, but to me, Jordan's problem is mostly mental.  He's always seemed like a basket case to me and very emotional.  He has these little tendencies and things he does, like the touching of the towel and need for reassurance from Greller.  He seems like a handful and seems very "high-strung."

44 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't see any changes to his team coming any time soon. I see flashes where he gets it back, and that's kind of how these things often tend to go. Feels change every day to day, and I think he'll sort it out.

The stuff said against Cameron above is pretty bad - he's a good instructor and would be regardless of whether he'd have hitched his trailer to Jordan Spieth.

Well we’ve had the discussion on the mental game. What do you do as an instructor with a case like JS? Do you think they’re still searching for a cause to his slump? Could it be a mindset or is he just off on his mechanics? Another Duval story coming? Like @boogielicious said he just seems lost at times.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well we’ve had the discussion on the mental game. What do you do as an instructor with a case like JS? Do you think they’re still searching for a cause to his slump? Could it be a mindset or is he just off on his mechanics? Another Duval story coming? Like @boogielicious said he just seems lost at times.

And other times he shoots 66.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Spieth is nowhere near smylie kaufmann country. That dude wasnt even sniffing cuts.  And from what ive read his issue was mostly medical. But who really knows. Spieth has been competitive in spurts, but it seems like he hasn't put together four good rounds at a tournament in almost a year. Its just a slump. I think he'll be back in the winners circle eventually. 

3 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Spieth is nowhere near smylie kaufmann country. That dude wasnt even sniffing cuts.  And from what ive read his issue was mostly medical. But who really knows. Spieth has been competitive in spurts, but it seems like he hasn't put together four good rounds at a tournament in almost a year. Its just a slump. I think he'll be back in the winners circle eventually. 

I can’t imagine him not. Too much talent. I do think that if he gets a win it will really charge him up. I didn’t realize he was having any significant medical issues. He’s a bit too apple pie for me but I’d like to see him get his game back. He seems like a real good kid.

Note: This thread is 766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!