IGNORED

TaylorMade M5/M6 Contest

Note: This thread is 1811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

http://dicks.com/rorywinsrorywins.jpg

So my question is simply this: what's to stop someone from buying an M5 Tour (like I did earlier today), leaving it in the package to see if Rory wins, and returning it well within the 60-day return window if Rory doesn't win the PGA Championship, and cashing in on the free driver if he does win?

I read through the terms and conditions and I don't see anything that jumps out. Worst case I just pretend this contest doesn't even exist, and I can return the driver the Friday of the PGA if he's well out of it, misses the cut, or whatever. Or by the end of the 60 days, so long as I don't hit it outside (I'm not even taking the cellophane off it).

What's the catch? What's to stop one person from every household from going out and buying a TaylorMade driver and returning it if Rory doesn't win? Is TM/Dick's just hoping that enough people will make their driver un-returnable or forget or something?

P.S. If he wins you have until May 30 and they have to receive the thing by June 5 to get the refund.

P.P.S. I remember a contest like this in the past, but you had to cut off part of the box with the UPC or something and mail it in before the tournament so that you couldn't return the item. This doesn't seem to be like that at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe they are hedging by placing a bet on Rory to win {shrug}

it says no purchase necessary, and there is this paragraph

To claim your free driver if you did not make a Qualifying Purchase, mail your completed original Refund Promotion form (name, address, phone number, email address (optional)), and whether you want an M5 or M6 driver in a hand-addressed, stamped envelope to retailcomm / Attn: Rory Wins Sweepstakes / 13810 Welch Road, Dallas, TX, 75244. Each Refund Promotion form is uniquely numbered and can only be used once. No photocopied or mechanically reproduced forms will be accepted. No responsibility is assumed by Promotion Parties for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, stolen, postage due or misdirected Refund Promotion forms or mail. Refund Promotion forms must be legibly hand written. Mechanical reproductions, postage-due Refund Promotion forms, or Refund Promotion forms sent in excess of the entry limit set forth herein will not be accepted. Refund Promotion forms received without a verifiable and legible return address will be deemed incomplete and not valid. Free driver requests must be postmarked by May 30, 2019 and received no later than June 5, 2019.

Players play, tough players win!

People on the subreddit r/golf have been talking about this lately.

You dont even have to make a purchase in order to submit your entry, the fine print has a part that says "No purchase required" so a bunch of people have been going to their local Dick's and asking for the entry form without even purchasing a driver.  

"To participate without making a Qualifying Purchase, during the Promotion Period, visit a participating Dick’s Sporting Goods or Golf Galaxy location in the United States and obtain a unique numbered Refund Promotion form from a sales associate. Refund Promotion forms will not be available after ordinary business hours of participating stores on May 15, 2019."

Some workers have questioned it, but it seems like nearly everyone was given a form that asked for one once they mentioned that it says no purchase required. In some cases people have said the stack of forms is just sitting out on the counter and they could just walk up and take one.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

As others have pointed out, no purchase is necessary.

To claim your free driver if you did not make a Qualifying Purchase, mail your completed original Refund Promotion form (name, address, phone number, email address (optional)), and whether you want an M5 or M6 driver in a hand-addressed, stamped envelope to retailcomm / Attn: Rory Wins Sweepstakes / 13810 Welch Road, Dallas, TX, 75244. Each Refund Promotion form is uniquely numbered and can only be used once. No photocopied or mechanically reproduced forms will be accepted. No responsibility is assumed by Promotion Parties for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, stolen, postage due or misdirected Refund Promotion forms or mail. Refund Promotion forms must be legibly hand written. Mechanical reproductions, postage-due Refund Promotion forms, or Refund Promotion forms sent in excess of the entry limit set forth herein will not be accepted. Refund Promotion forms received without a verifiable and legible return address will be deemed incomplete and not valid. Free driver requests must be postmarked by May 30, 2019 and received no later than June 5, 2019.

Guess I'm going to Dick's later.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I will be rooting for Rory, so I can upgrade from my 2015 Jordan Spieth Callaway X16 Driver

Edited by Wally Fairway

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, billchao said:

As others have pointed out, no purchase is necessary.

I don't even care about the "no purchase necessary" thing. I made a purchase because I wanted the Tour model (which doesn't seem to be an option for the "no purchase necessary" form).

I'm asking if there's any sort of catch, because there doesn't seem to be one. I can "spend" the $582.xx for just over two weeks to see if Rory wins… I'm just trying to figure out if there's a catch of some kind.

Again, I'm leaving the driver in the cellophane.

Is there a catch?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Is there a catch?

Nope - if the club qualifies, and you have the paperwork, then you are good to go.

So if I read this correctly, I could go to Dick's/Golf Galaxy and maybe get a pad of entry forms (I'm guessing they are just out on the counter)

And if Rory wins, then those forms become worth hundreds of dollars. As even the entry forms don't have to be mailed in until May 30 (10 days after tournament). Those, in theory could be sold for say $100-$200 bucks......right?

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

So if I read this correctly, I could go to Dick's/Golf Galaxy and maybe get a pad of entry forms (I'm guessing they are just out on the counter)

And if Rory wins, then those forms become worth hundreds of dollars. As even the entry forms don't have to be mailed in until May 30 (10 days after tournament). Those, in theory could be sold for say $100-$200 bucks......right?

devious!...

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Yeah, that just seems screwy.

This promotion doesn't seem to make any sense. Surely TaylorMade doesn't think that even if they end up giving away ten thousand free drivers, that it's worth it for the promotional nature, right?

1 minute ago, dennyjones said:

devious!...

Maybe  my wife used to enter contests as a hobby, and I would read some of them and it was amazing how many had loopholes. So these things catch my eye, even if I don't get a pad of forms I could easily get 10 -20 entry form by the start of the event. So tomorrow I'm going to AA, there are 2 Dick's in Lansing, 1 in Brighton and 1 in AA, so that would be 4 that would take me an extra 10 minutes.

Denny - I'll sell one to you at a bargain

• Like 1

• Administrator
Just now, Wally Fairway said:

Maybe  my wife used to enter contests as a hobby, and I would read some of them and it was amazing how many had loopholes. So these things catch my eye, even if I don't get a pad of forms I could easily get 10 -20 entry form by the start of the event. So tomorrow I'm going to AA, there are 2 Dick's in Lansing, 1 in Brighton and 1 in AA, so that would be 4 that would take me an extra 10 minutes.

It is one per household, but… yeah.

Just now, iacas said:

This promotion doesn't seem to make any sense. Surely TaylorMade doesn't think that even if they end up giving away ten thousand free drivers, that it's worth it for the promotional nature, right?

I would think they have insurance or a hedge "against" Rory winning, but it will get people interested in their drivers. I mean I'd better figure out if I want an M5 or an M6, right?

I read through the terms and conditions, and I don't see anything that would prevent you from buying a driver and then returning it if Rory doesn't win. Seems strange, but that's what's written.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

48 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't even care about the "no purchase necessary" thing. I made a purchase because I wanted the Tour model (which doesn't seem to be an option for the "no purchase necessary" form).

I'm asking if there's any sort of catch, because there doesn't seem to be one. I can "spend" the $582.xx for just over two weeks to see if Rory wins… I'm just trying to figure out if there's a catch of some kind.

Again, I'm leaving the driver in the cellophane.

Is there a catch?

I don't see one. The only thing I see mentioning returns is this:

You may not submit a Refund Promotion form for Qualifying Purchases that have been returned and for which you have already requested a refund.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Callaway did this way back in 2006 I think for Phil winning the Masters and he did (think that's the year he did). I was working for Golfsmith during it and honestly don't remember that many people actually buying the drivers before the event.  When it comes down to it, it's a fun promotion when you hear about it but most people are too lazy to actually go out and buy the driver or order it online, so the numbers are probably far less then you would expect. Beyond that, as someone else mentioned, TM buy insurance against it, just like when a tournament buys insurance for a $1,000,000 hole in one prize.

5 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

My wife would kill me if I spent any more money on golf equipment.   I like living!    Thanks for the offer!

There is a Dick at I-75 and 14 Mile

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:26 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Today I finally made it to the store at lunch, fwiw I didn't take a whole pad of entry forms - but I did get about a dozen. Just enough for family & my golf crew to get new drivers.

Go Rory!

Note: This thread is 1811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!