IGNORED

Question for Those That Carry Their Golf Bag

Note: This thread is 1749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I much prefer to carry a golf bag than pushing a cart but too heavy a bag can compress the disc's in your spine over time causing long term back problems.  So what is the max weight we should carry?  Any chiropractor's out there know the answer?  I've heard for backpacking with a backpack that has a waist strap is 20% of your body weight max and a day pack is 10% of your body weight.  But I also here 15% in a regular back pack is ok too.  The difference between 10 and 15% is quite a lot.  My ideal body weight is about 175 but I am about 25 lbs overweight.  So I am guessing 17-25 lbs should be ok?  If you carry your golf bag do you know how much it weighs?

Edited by Farangster

2 minutes ago, Farangster said:

So I much prefer to carry a golf bag than pushing a cart but too heavy a big can compress the disc's in your spine over time causing long term back problems.  So what is the max weight we should carry?  Any chiropractor's out there know the answer?  I've heard for backpacking with a backpack that has a waist strap is 20% of your body weight max and a day pack is 10% of your body weight.  But I also here 15% in a regular back pack is ok too.  The difference between 10 and 15% is quite a lot.  My ideal body weight is about 175 but I am about 25 lbs overweight.  So I am guessing 17-25 lbs should be ok?  If you carry your golf bag do you know how much it weighs?

I don’t think the differences in carry bag weight are drastic enough to worry about this. If you’re really concerned about this why not just use a pull/push cart? If you really prefer to carry a bag there are plenty of options that would suit you fine. Static numbers are very generalized. There’s age, physical make up, condition, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just carry what is comfortable.  With 14 clubs my bag is about 20 lbs. and gets fairly uncomfortable.  Getting the bag down to 15 lbs is ok for me. 

Driver :cobra:  Fly-Z+ 

3W, 5W :bridgestone:  J33

4-PW :wilsonstaff: D9

52, 55, 60  :wilson: Harmonized

Putter :wilsonstaff: 8882

• iacas changed the title to Question for Those That Carry Their Golf Bag
  • Administrator

Backpacking is a constant thing, it's always on your back except short breaks. Carrying a golf bag isn't the same as that - it's off more than it's on.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Todays backpacks are designed to spread the total weight around one's torso. Shoulders, chest, waist, hips, across the back, which allows the larger muscles in the legs to also handle some of the weight. Plus with a back pack, the weight can be loaded in an evenly manner.

My golf bag when fully loaded is around 30-35 lbs. I would never carry it. It's a staff bag, and I carry a lot of water. I also probably carry another 10lbs of stuff I don't need.  I trolley it, or strap it to a cart.

However, I would have no problem putting on a 30-35 lb back pack to hike a number of miles. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:46 AM, Farangster said:

So I much prefer to carry a golf bag than pushing a cart 

I use a pull cart, rather than push type, and find it much easier.  Especially when going uphill it is easier to pull for me.  I know many people prefer pushing it though.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
On 6/1/2019 at 12:23 AM, pganapathy said:

I use a pull cart, rather than push type, and find it much easier.  Especially when going uphill it is easier to pull for me.  I know many people prefer pushing it though.

Pulling is NOT easier. This has been shown biomechanically and a ton of other ways, and it's generally common sense: pushing uses both arms and shoulders, pulling puts a single arm well behind you in a not-so-great position.

If a little bit of pulling is necessary nothing stops a push cart from being pulled up a brief short hill. But no, that's also dumber, too, because if you lose your grip on a pulled cart it's gone. A push cart is always (when used properly) in front of you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:23 AM, pganapathy said:

I find pushing a cart uphill to be much easier because you can lean forward, and keep your arms in front of you. I don't feel its natural to have something pulling you backwards as you are trying to walk up a hill.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 5/26/2019 at 11:16 PM, Farangster said:

So I much prefer to carry a golf bag than pushing a cart but too heavy a bag can compress the disc's in your spine over time causing long term back problems.  So what is the max weight we should carry?  Any chiropractor's out there know the answer?  I've heard for backpacking with a backpack that has a waist strap is 20% of your body weight max and a day pack is 10% of your body weight.  But I also here 15% in a regular back pack is ok too.  The difference between 10 and 15% is quite a lot.  My ideal body weight is about 175 but I am about 25 lbs overweight.  So I am guessing 17-25 lbs should be ok?  If you carry your golf bag do you know how much it weighs?

I almost exclusively walk and if you don't have a very heavy bag and are still worried about the weight, maybe consider carrying less clubs.  I've got a pretty light bag (Ping 4-series stand bag) so the clubs are the large majority of the total weight.  Also take the time to mess with the straps and figure out the weight distribution that feels most natural and doesn't fatigue you as easily.  Load your body properly and the weight shouldn't be an issue.  Although all of this is not as important as with a backpacking backpack since as @iacas mentioned, you take the bag off a lot.

For backpacking backpacks, the emphasis is much more on ergonomics/proper fit and weight distribution than total weight.  If it's properly loaded on your body, it makes a world of difference as opposed to focusing strictly on weight limits.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

I always walk, and have been using a pull cart for years. I sometimes feel like the wheel friction makes it physically more taxing than carrying. For example, I used a pull cart playing 36 holes/day for a few days at Streamsong. There's a lot of sand between holes, and pulling through sand is harder than carrying. When conditions are really wet here, it can also feel like more energy than carrying. I've resorted to carrying again this year, but it's definitely a bigger strain on the back.

I know a push cart is easier than a pull cart, but I'm having trouble getting over how big they are when unfolded. It feels like I'm pushing one of those giant baby carriages - gives me flashbacks.

Edited by chspeed

I almost exclusively walk and carry. Unless im playing in a scramble or something. I personally find push carts cumbersome and gangly and not worth the hassle. I like just putting on my shoes, throwing the bag on my back and then off i go.  

If youre overweight, carrying your bag will certainly go a long ways in helping you shed some pounds. You'll burn around 1000 calories per round if you walk and carry. But as far as weight, i dont really know. I don't think ive ever known the weight of the bag i carry. I don't have any back problems from carrying that im aware of. I get the normal aches and pains most regular golfers get. The aches i get from walking and carrying are usually in my core area and quads. But thats only the first couple times after long winter layoffs. 

I carry, used to be a caddy so....

Anyway, I don't weigh it.  I have a Ping Hoofer.  I carry 14 clubs and 5 balls.  Also my keys and phone go in a side pocket.  Probably doesn't weigh much but it's not like I'm going on a 3 day trip for packing crap.  I had a good laugh at one of the golf magazines talking about the new carry bags this year and they're raving about having 11 or so pockets.  Dedicated rangefinder pocket, dedicated cellphone pocket, insulated water bottle pocket...  No thanks.  If I have to carry 11 pockets worth of crap then chances are it now too heavy to carry.

Even in the worst conditions, maybe add a pullover in the jacket side pocket and an umbrella?  Other than that, leave em behind.

Edited by Typhoon92

14 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

I carry, used to be a caddy so....

Anyway, I don't weigh it.  I have a Ping Hoofer.  I carry 14 clubs and 5 balls.  Also my keys and phone go in a side pocket.  Probably doesn't weigh much but it's not like I'm going on a 3 day trip for packing crap.  I had a good laugh at one of the golf magazines talking about the new carry bags this year and they're raving about having 11 or so pockets.  Dedicated rangefinder pocket, dedicated cellphone pocket, insulated water bottle pocket...  No thanks.  If I have to carry 11 pockets worth of crap then chances are it now too heavy to carry.

Even in the worst conditions, maybe add a pullover in the jacket side pocket and an umbrella?  Other than that, leave em behind.

Agreed, got the bag down to about 16 lbs with the clubs and stuff I need to have fun out there.  Not fatigued at all after the round, much more tired pushing a cart around than carrying a bag thats a little lighter.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 12:23 AM, pganapathy said:

Many moons ago, I recall playing Bethpage Black for the first time and got a pull cart.   Big mistake, pulling up and down the elevations was brutal.  After that I preferred to carry.  And because there was no water on the course and a snack shack you saw only twice (finishing #5 and again coming up #12) I carried plenty of water.  By the time you got up #15 you were done for the day.   

These days I use a push cart and haven't looked back. 

I always walk, unless its a really nice course and i have to ride to keep the pace of play.  I have a Titleist stand bag and i adjusted the straps so it rides a bit higher and it feels MUCH better then it was previously.  I take out all the items i really dont need.  Driver, 5 wood, 3 irons, one wedge and putter.  carry 6 balls and some water.  The load got alot lighter and easier at the end of the round.  

49 minutes ago, woodsfan4life said:

I always walk, unless its a really nice course and i have to ride to keep the pace of play.  I have a Titleist stand bag and i adjusted the straps so it rides a bit higher and it feels MUCH better then it was previously.  I take out all the items i really dont need.  Driver, 5 wood, 3 irons, one wedge and putter.  carry 6 balls and some water.  The load got alot lighter and easier at the end of the round.  

Nice! I really enjoy walking and carrying the bag.  Down to 10 clubs, a little water bottle, some balls, little extra sunscreen and no head covers, and Callaway Hyperlite 1.5+ keeps the bag really light.  The mini stand can be left out the whole round and don't need to worry about it getting knocked over in the wind.  I am actually less tired after a round than pushing a cart full of stuff.  Much more enjoyable experience for the money spent on golf.

• Like 1

Make sure your bag is the two-strap type as that balances better.  Don't carry more weight in your bag than necessary.  I carry but on hot days I use my three-wheeler so I can bring lots of water.  Do what your body can handle and don't overthink it.   

Edited by cristphoto

Note: This thread is 1749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!