IGNORED

Scoring Per Hole For 100 Average Golfer

jfjimfe
Note: This thread is 1777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 hours ago, jfjimfe said:

If a golfer shoots on average a 100, how  many birdies, pars, bogeys, etc can he/she expect to have?

Birdies?  Probably none, especially if he or she is playing smartly.  If you average 1.5 over par per hole, you probably aren't landing your GIR attempt near the flagstick.

When I was looking to break 100 for the first time, I viewed one par per side as a good day.  Then again, I thought the par-3s were the spot where I was most likely to get those pars, so what did I know?

Are you shooting 100 and want to see if you're on track?   Check out this instructional droplet;  there's far more than how many bogeys you make that affect it: 

If your goal is to break 100, pay particular attention to the bottom bolded paragraph.  And stick around;  there's plenty of help around here that can lead to you not only breaking 100, but playing much better golf than merely posting a double digit score.  I joined five months before I ever posted a double digit score. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not sure this is an answerable question, so I am going to guess what your actual meaning is.  My guess is that you are looking for a way to rate your progress around the 100 zone and feel some measure of success.  I got some excellent advice last year that I want to share with you.  Break your ideas about how you play into two parts, and remember that par is not a reasonable metric to rate your own progress by.  99 is 1.5 strokes more than par per hole.  For a bogey golfer (90), bogeys are your pars.  Pars are your birdies.  And so a birdie is like an eagle.  Figure 99 as half again more lenient than that.

-The first part is getting the ball to the green.  Imagine your green to be much larger than the one you see.  For a par 3, give yourself 50 yards from the flag, 75 on a par 4 and 100 on a par 5.  That is the new definition of your green.  A ball inside this zone in regulation is your GIR.

-Second, just take that extra stroke to get the ball on to the actual green and then try to 2-putt.

This mindset should go a long way to preventing the sorts of stupid, stupid decisions that I have always struggled against.  It has been my compass and I have loved what this approach has done for my score.  As your game improves, tighten your own requirements with smaller zones.

Almost never a birdie, very few pars, a bunch of bogies, far too many doubles, and more than the occasional triple.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

One triple per 9. Too many doubles. And some bogeys. Pars are rare. 

How you want to play: 

1) No hero shots. 2) Strokes gained are not for you yet. Figure out the shortest club you're most comfortable swinging. Set yourself up to use that as your approach shot into par 5s. Same with par 4s - this may mean you don't hit driver on the tee. 3) Stay on the short grass. 4) if you duff a shot, don't get mad. Don't give it any power at all. Just move on. Everyone makes bad shots. Everyone. 5) also remember that we all play army golf for a while. 

Where can you really pick up strokes? Chipping. You'll be doing a lot of it. You need to get the ball to within 6 feet of the hole on your chips. This can save you double bogeys. Putting: You need to make everything within 3'. Practice lag putting - really get good at it. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

1-2 pars, many bogeys and doubles, a triple or two and if you’re anything like my dad a couple of “mark it 8 dude” unfinished holes. 🙂

(Maybe 1-2 birdies a year)

Note: This thread is 1777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!