IGNORED

One Man Scramble

HozzleRocket
Note: This thread is 1785 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Going to try this weekend hopefully.  Play a Texas scramble format with 4 of my own balls.

But realistically, what score would you aim to shoot if you had 4 goes at every shot?

1 hour ago, HozzleRocket said:

But realistically, what score would you aim to shoot if you had 4 goes at every shot?

I actually had to do this once. None of my 4-man scramble partners showed up due to the bad weather forecast. The rain started slow, but picked up and they cancelled after 12 holes. I was nine under, soaking wet. The last couple of holes I had trouble gripping the club. If the weather was better I may have been 10, 11, or even 12 under after 12. I did not take 4 shots at each position as that would have wore me out. A typical hole was 1 or 2 drives. Usually 2 to 3 approach shots, but the putting was the best part. I could normally be within 20 feet on the green in regulation. So I drop 4 balls and start putting in quick succession and usually the second, third or 4th putt would drop.Normal score form me is low 80's high 70's.

So 25 to 30 strokes lower than you might normally shoot? I won 400 bucks.

Edited by Carl3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, HozzleRocket said:

Going to try this weekend hopefully.  Play a Texas scramble format with 4 of my own balls.

You could come close to your personal best with one ball, or just a little below it.  But if you use all 4 shots at every opportunity, you'll be so tired that you may not even finish.  That's a TON of swings!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Excluding exhaustion, someone who shoots about 100 can be expected to shoot about 85 on a best-of-two scramble.  A 90-shooter expects about 78, an 80-golfer expects about 70.   I'm sure the numbers are lower for best of four, again excluding exhaustion. 

For contrast, an average PGA Tour pro, playing a worst-of-two scramble expects about 78 for his score. 

I'm not sure I have the energy to do a best-of-four scramble for myself.  I get plenty tired hitting a small bucket at the range.  Then again, I take a lot more practice swings on the range than I do on the course. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

42 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

You could come close to your personal best with one ball, or just a little below it.  But if you use all 4 shots at every opportunity, you'll be so tired that you may not even finish.  That's a TON of swings!

I was thinking the same thing thing even with 2 balls. I think the way I would approach this is to hit a second shot only if your first could reasonably be improved upon.

It would be an interesting experiment on an afternoon or evening when the course is empty to score your ball-in-play like a normal round, but keep a second scramble score where you play a second ball on each shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

- Shane

Unless you are pretty damn accurate, you might want to take the cart for that one.

An old sprayer like me trying to hunt down four balls sounds like the stuff of nightmares.

16 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Unless you are pretty damn accurate, you might want to take the cart for that one.

An old sprayer like me trying to hunt down four balls sounds like the stuff of nightmares.

Or play as normal, but have someone who lost a bet to you following who is responsible for collecting the shots you aren't using. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

37 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

You just have to spray them more consistently. 🤣

21 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Or play as normal, but have someone who lost a bet to you following who is responsible for collecting the shots you aren't using. 

That would make my Fitbit very happy. 😉

Sorry @mcanadiens Just giving you grief.

- Shane

Ive never done four... We'd be talkin about Kim Jong Il territory if i ever did that.. But ive broken 60 doing a personal better ball several times. From what i remember i used the second ball on putts alot of the time. Its alot of fun. I wish i did it more often. 

45 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

You just have to spray them more consistently. 🤣

You kidding?

I've covered more territory with my shots than the bloody grounds crew has with the mowers. At least one of my balls has found every tree, hazard and sand trap Kittyhawk has to offer. 

It's maximum coverage already and its only June. You just really can't spray more consistently than that.

13 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

BINGO! We have a winner. I once read about a match where a near pro was taking on a regular golfer. He said that he'd allow the guy 3 tee shots on every hole, and he could play the best one. The regular golfer held his own for a while, but eventually ran out of gas!

Note: This thread is 1785 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!