IGNORED

When Is Right Time to Upgrade Clubs?

Note: This thread is 1779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Typical story: played when younger, gave it up, now in my 40s getting back into the game since often asked to golf outings by vendors and clients. I have been going to the local hackers range and working on my swing. I have set of 15 year old-ish Ram Accubars from a garage sale. I have gotten to where I can control my swing and am hitting my driver consistently with a 200-210 yard carry and straight. Question is, at what point (if ever) should I look into "upgrading" my clubs? Will it really make a difference?  I see the current benefit of sticking with my set is money is staying in my pocket but is there an opportunity cost here that a little bit of an investment would make a difference in my distance/confidence? Fortunately money isn't really a problem but I am definitely not going to waste it if it doesn't help. Thanks in advance everyone!

If you are hitting your "older" driver 200+/- yards reasonably straight, you would probably gain some yards updating to something newer, that is fitted to your current swing. Same with fairway woods. 

I might recommend you look at components, and the lower profile club heads

As for your irons, alot of good things have happened in technology for irons in the past 15 years.. Again, I am talking about being fitted to your current swing. Again look at components for iron replacements. 

Another thing is that bagging a newer set of clubs, is really good for one's self confidence, and personal enjoyment of the game. 

If you find yourself dead set on buying a brand name set of clubs, give the Tour Edge stuff a look see. 

My irons are pretty darn old, but so am I, which keeps me from purchasing new stuff. I don't see newer clubs helping my scores at this point....lol

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to When Is Right Time to Upgrade Clubs?

When is it time? Perhaps if your clubs are twice as old as you are?

I made my big upgrade a few years ago when my clubs hit 45 years old and my driver was a persimmon.

images.png

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

In the past 15 years there have been many improvements. If nothing else the grooves on 15 year old clubs are probably worn out.  Get something that fits you properly and you will not regret it.  

Any time you make a major swing change, any time you notice that your contact is improving but you cant control the ball anymore. Really it comes down to you making good swings and the club not doing what you expect. Just be sure you know that a good portion of ball flight flaws come from the player, not the club. 

IMHO it is time for an upgrade. I don't know what your full set is but if they are 15 years old and you purchased them at a garage sale it may be time. As stated above there have been many improvements in wedges, irons, hybrids, fairway woods and drivers over the course of the last 15 years. Plus you get the enjoyment of searching for a full set of clubs.

Having been in your position years ago of being invited to play with clients, (or inviting clients to play with you), and at outings, I always felt better showing up with a good set of clubs and bag. Now I know that is an ego thing but still you are there partly to impress the people you are playing with. And don't forget the golf shoes, I see many people showing up to play in sneakers and dungarees , nothing looks worse then that, you need to show respect for the game which I'm sure you do.

Have fun with your search and by all means work with a fitter as your swing apparently is getting better, new clubs will help as well.

Again, just my opinion, enjoy the search and take your time.

My experience. Technology has come a long way and clubs today are more forgiving and give you more distance than ever. However, keep in mind there's a price to pay that is seldom mentioned: dispersion and loss of accuracy in most "distance" clubs. For some people this is not important.

When ever you feel like it and can afford it.

• Like 1
  • :callaway: Callaway Epic Flash Driver.  Epic Flash 3 Wood.  GBB Flash 5 wood.  Epic Flash 4 Hybrid
  • :cleveland: Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4 through PW. CBX2 Wedges, 54 & 60 degree.
  • :seemore:  Seemore Si1 putter.

Since you asked, you are already thinking about it.  It's time.  Pretty much how I decided.  While you probably wouldn't need a total custom club set, you really should go to a professionally and get fitted to your swing and your game.  There are so many great manufacturers and options available from each one, you need to find the one that fits YOU the best. 

It'll probably throw your game off a little at first until you get used to the new clubs and then you should see an improvement in your game.

Just one hacker's opinion........

Good luck and just have fun !!!!!!!

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Go demo on a good launch monitor and see what you like. Make sure you’re getting the carry numbers you want. 

it might make a difference in your confidence, yes. But better clubs don't make you a better golfer. The guy i played with a couple months ago with the $4000 set of PXG clubs and then proceeded to shoot like 95 is proof of that. It also depends on how much you plan to play. If you planning on playing more than 20 times a year, it could be a good idea to invest in some upgraded gear. 

But as far as timing goes, unless the clubs your using now are completely wrong for you (ie they're ladies clubs or something) you should hold off until you can get to be a consistent mid 80s to low 90s shooter. You get the most out of equipment at that skill level. You'll know better what you need instead of guessing and swinging consistently enough to get a rood reading at a fitting. 

Note: This thread is 1779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!