IGNORED

Trouble Hitting 2-Iron

Note: This thread is 1762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello!

I recently pricked up a Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 2 Iron for fairway bombs.

I've never been comitted to woods as I don't appriciate the looks behind the ball.

My Mizuno JPX 900s provide me with deadstraight aimlock, which made me buy the 2 Iron.

I dont know if it's the excitement of belief to hit hard stingers flying through the air, or the smaller club head compared to my Hot Metals, but something's making the ball dive right into the ground after 50y of thinned ball flight.

If you have any ideas or suggestions on what you or I do/should be doing, please let me know!

Thank you!

Welcome to the site!  :beer:

There’s a reason that almost nobody, even pros, carries a 2-iron anymore.

As a 17 handicap, you simply don’t have the swing speed nor the skill level to play it.  Sorry, but my recommendation is to give it to a hated golf buddy and find a nice, forgiving, modern hybrid to put in the bag.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

52 minutes ago, David in FL said:

As a 17 handicap, you simply don’t have the swing speed nor the skill level to play it.  Sorry, but my recommendation is to give it to a hated golf buddy and find a nice, forgiving, modern hybrid to put in the bag.

I am determined to master this club, just for the fun of it. My overall distance in my bag is no problem currently, and therefore I want to play the 2i, just for some tight par4/5s. I can't putt, and that's why I'm 17hcp.

I hit my 4 iron at 120 mph speed, with a 2i I could probably push it to 130. I believe the contact during impact is the problem, might just have to grind on the d-range?

The secret to hitting the ball farther, with less effort, is to use less effort.  To get what you want out of that 2 iron you are going to have to allow it to do most of the work.  Swinging harder to get extra distance is exactly the opposite of what you need to be doing.  The more energy you expend keeping yourself upright...the less there is left to motivate the club head.  

• Like 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, Lukas Werner said:

I can't putt, and that's why I'm 17hcp.

Doubtful. You’re more likely a 17hcp because you can’t hit a 2i. Meaning, you have some flaw in your swing, long game. If you are able to consistently smoke a 4i you wouldn’t struggle with a 2i. 

It’s not impossible but certainly less likely to find high handicappers who consistently hit GIR then 3-4 putt every time. Think about your rounds. Hole by hole and make an honest effort to see where your strokes were lost. 

What’s commonly seen is a player hits a drive into rough. Then makes a hero swing and lands 30yds off the green. He then pitches the ball to 8’ and misses the putt and claims, ‘ that’s why I play bogey golf. I can’t putt.’ 

PGA Tour players make 8’ putts only 50% of the time. This player completely disregards the fact that he hit a poor tee shot which probably led to a poor approach which caused him to have to scramble. 

But as @David in FL mentioned it’s swing speed that’s required to hit a 2i. If you know your SS is sufficient then it’s your contact/strike that’s the problem. Again I doubt this problem is only apparent when you hit the 2i. Just something to consider.

• Like 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

@Lukas Werner, I'm not so sure you're swinging that fast.  To get that kind of speed, you'd need a lot going right with your swing to begin with; that's upper tier speed on PGA Tour with driver, after all.  If you're a 17 handicapper, I'm be more willing to be that 120 mph with a 4i is more likely to be your ball speed, not clubhead speed.  If it is ball speed, then no wonder you can't hit a 2i; you don't have the speed to do so.  The average Tour players are around 120 mph ball speed with a 7i.

As @Vinsk pointed out, if you are indeed swinging a 4i at 120 mph and smoking it, you shouldn't have trouble with a 2i at that speed.  Tiger doesn't even always get 120 with driver, much less a 2i or a 4i.

Edited by ncates00
  • Like 1

I have had a 2i for years and never used it because I could never hit with it.  Over the winter, I decided, like the op, that I was going to learn how to hit it.  I need a club for shits in the rough on long par 5s as I tend to push or slice my drives when I hit longer.  Anyway, I hit it just like my other irons off the deck.  It’s worked well so far this year.  I’ve used it many times and I have hit it consistently between 235-265 out of the first cut, which is close to what I hit my 3w on the fairway.  I’ve also used it off the tee for a handful of long par 3s.  Off the tee, I swing it like a wood and get high fades to about 235.  If you ask me, it’s a very valuable club, learn how to use it.

43 minutes ago, Kevlar10 said:

I have had a 2i for years and never used it because I could never hit with it.  Over the winter, I decided, like the op, that I was going to learn how to hit it.  I need a club for shits in the rough on long par 5s as I tend to push or slice my drives when I hit longer.  Anyway, I hit it just like my other irons off the deck.  It’s worked well so far this year.  I’ve used it many times and I have hit it consistently between 235-265 out of the first cut, which is close to what I hit my 3w on the fairway.  I’ve also used it off the tee for a handful of long par 3s.  Off the tee, I swing it like a wood and get high fades to about 235.  If you ask me, it’s a very valuable club, learn how to use it.

There's nothing consistent about 235-65; that's 30 yards--doesn't sound consistent to me. 

Perhaps you're high speed player, but I don't see many people hitting a 2i like that out of the fairway, much less the rough.  Further, your 2i shouldn't go as far as your 3w, sounds like poor gapping to me.

It's not a big deal as far as "learning how to use it"--it's a club like any other iron.  The problem is the fact that most don't have the speed or strike to make much use of it.  Most people, even pros, are better off with a fairway wood or hybrid because you'll get better ball speed and more reliability.  

I own a 2i myself, but it's really only good for low knuckleballs under the wind or the trees because I don't have the speed to use it.  I strike it well, but I don't generate enough speed.  Cool club though.

10 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

There's nothing consistent about 235-65; that's 30 yards--doesn't sound consistent to me. 

Perhaps you're high speed player, but I don't see many people hitting a 2i like that out of the fairway, much less the rough.  Further, your 2i shouldn't go as far as your 3w, sounds like poor gapping to me.

It's not a big deal as far as "learning how to use it"--it's a club like any other iron.  The problem is the fact that most don't have the speed or strike to make much use of it.  Most people, even pros, are better off with a fairway wood or hybrid because you'll get better ball speed and more reliability.  

I own a 2i myself, but it's really only good for low knuckleballs under the wind or the trees because I don't have the speed to use it.  I strike it well, but I don't generate enough speed.  Cool club though.

I play golf for the fun of it, sometimes I attack the ball with every muscle I have in my body, and other shots I swing with one hand. I find the 2i really special and unique, and if I can master the club my love for golf will expand even further. 

I want to have that one club that I can send 235/240y straight down the fairway and just enjoy the purness of the shot. 

🙂

2 minutes ago, Lukas Werner said:

I play golf for the fun of it, sometimes I attack the ball with every muscle I have in my body, and other shots I swing with one hand. I find the 2i really special and unique, and if I can master the club my love for golf will expand even further. 

I want to have that one club that I can send 235/240y straight down the fairway and just enjoy the purness of the shot. 

🙂

wtf, none that makes any sense, especially in light of your original post.

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

wtf, none that makes any sense, especially in light of your original post.

6 minutes ago, Lukas Werner said:

🙂

Maby a bit weirdly formulated, but as I said in my og post I want to be able to hit a pure shot, just like I do with my irons. A sub for my 4 Wood that I really hate. Im playing down to 4i then a 24° Hybrid that I use Out of the rough and on some fairways, but I want to hit a solid 2i of the tee. 

1 minute ago, Lukas Werner said:

Maby a bit weirdly formulated, but as I said in my og post I want to be able to hit a pure shot, just like I do with my irons. A sub for my 4 Wood that I really hate. Im playing down to 4i then a 24° Hybrid that I use Out of the rough and on some fairways, but I want to hit a solid 2i of the tee. 

Try a driving hybrid or a different fairway wood.  I highly recommend the Adams Tight Lies 2 Titanium three wood; I play the 13* and love it.  I also like the Nike Vapor speed hybrids; I play the 5h and eBay has some 2h's.

2 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Try a driving hybrid or a different fairway wood.  I highly recommend the Adams Tight Lies 2 Titanium three wood; I play the 13* and love it.  I also like the Nike Vapor speed hybrids; I play the 5h and eBay has some 2h's.

I will take a look at it, its just that clubs are really limited here and the prices are quite High. So if I can't return my 2i I Will have to play with it. 

9 hours ago, Lukas Werner said:

Hello!

I recently pricked up a Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 2 Iron for fairway bombs.

I've never been comitted to woods as I don't appriciate the looks behind the ball.

My Mizuno JPX 900s provide me with deadstraight aimlock, which made me buy the 2 Iron.

I dont know if it's the excitement of belief to hit hard stingers flying through the air, or the smaller club head compared to my Hot Metals, but something's making the ball dive right into the ground after 50y of thinned ball flight.

If you have any ideas or suggestions on what you or I do/should be doing, please let me know!

Thank you!

Let's just give you the benefit of doubt and say you can whistle up a 2i at 110+ mph. 

Slow down and learn to take long thin  dollar bill divots past the ball. If you do that, you will get the ball up in the air. 

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

How far do you hit your driver or 3w?  Both my driver and 3w have +/- 15 yards.  

6 minutes ago, Kevlar10 said:

How far do you hit your driver or 3w?  Both my driver and 3w have +/- 15 yards.  

We’re talking about an iron when referring to the distance range. For a standard full shot, we shouldn’t see that much range with an iron. 

That said, if you are referring to a standard full shot with driver, I carry the ball 250. Yes, on a bad strike I can drop down, or if I go at one, I can max out at about 270 carry. 

Note: This thread is 1762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!