IGNORED

How to Manage the Heat?

criley4way
Note: This thread is 1712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
On 8/11/2019 at 11:03 PM, Missouri Swede said:

Amazon lists them as women’s. Are they a unisex size/style thing?

Men and women, yeah.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's around 100 right now in Northern CA, but it's dry heat, right? I normally walk my rounds and drink 2 or 3 qt-sized bottles of ice water (thermos with refill on the course as necessary) but in that heat, if I still walk, and it must be on a flat course, it's more like 5 or 6 bottles and another 1 or 2 after I get home, so well over 1.5 gal overall.  Yesterday, I played a somewhat hilly course, and I rode in a cart: that helps a lot! LOL.

I nearly suffered a heat stroke almost 2 years ago, when I was unable to walk the slight rise to the green on the elevated #18 and nearly collapsed. Thankfully, my partners were riding in a cart, put a cool towel around my neck, drove me back to the air-conditioned club house and essentially revived me so the worse was averted. I am bit more careful now with the walking, hence my reply above. Be careful out there!!

Edited by sjduffers

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've learned here the key is to check the heat index.  90 degrees could be feels like 95 or 105.  Was in the WA desert a few weeks ago and it was 90 degrees / feels like 90 - that's not TN weather.

I started wearing the sleeves last weekend.  Definitely helped.  Also using an umbrella on sunny days and making sure that water intake is good even before being thirsty. Surviving so far.

I play in a group of 12 to 16 every Wednesday and Sunday.  We play at 10AM so by the end of the round we're usually at about the hottest part of the day here in NC.  Although I often forget to do it, the "experts" say to begin to hydrate yourself well before playing.  It's been HOT here this summer and here are the few things that I do to control things.  I fill a gallon thermal jug with water the night before I play and put in in the freezer and take it to the course and drink often during the round.  I also take a small cooler filled with ice and often during the round I'll grab a handful and chew on it or whatever.  But the big thing I do is I take a standard towel, soak it with water, wring it out  and put it in a baggie, then throw it in the freezer.  I throw it in the cooler and take all to the course.  On about the twelfth or thirteenth hole when I may start to get overwhelmed by the heat I'll pull the towel out and let it begin to thaw a bit.  When I need it then I pull the frozen towel apart and smother my face, head and neck in it. Works tremendously to cool you down.  I'll toss it back into the ice cooler and pull it out three or four times throughout the back nine. I also have one of those "cooling towels" and they to not come close to the results I get with my frozen towel.  Fore.

Towels, ice cubes, umbrella (looks lame but better than heat stroke), those little portable fans that can spray a mist.  Feels like it's more about survival than looking cool. 

Note: This thread is 1712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!