IGNORED

How to Manage the Heat?

criley4way
Note: This thread is 1674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played 18 yesterday in 90 deg temps ad 90% humidity. I (foolishly) walked the front 9 and started to have issues about the 4th hole. I couldn't make a proper swing because my muscles were losing strength and I was having trouble staying balanced over putts. I was trying to stay out of the sun and was well hydrated.

I just bought a cooling towel and will take a cart next time but I could use some suggestions.

Any suggestions for that type of heat index?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, criley4way said:

I played 18 yesterday in 90 deg temps ad 90% humidity. I (foolishly) walked the front 9 and started to have issues about the 4th hole. I couldn't make a proper swing because my muscles were losing strength and I was having trouble staying balanced over putts. I was trying to stay out of the sun and was well hydrated.

I just bought a cooling towel and will take a cart next time but I could use some suggestions.

Any suggestions for that type of heat index?

Play early in the morning... but that is also when the course is most crowded and most expensive.

Ride in a cart and carry plenty of ice water!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

14 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Play early in the morning... but that is also when the course is most crowded and most expensive.

Normally I would but this is a money game and I have a few tournaments coming up so I don't get to pick the tee time.

8 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Try to drink 2 liters of water before you even tee off

That will help with the dehydration but not the heat.

1 minute ago, criley4way said:

That will help with the dehydration but not the heat.

Those cooling towels do a fine job I think. Recharge it in the cooler ON THE CART YOU’RE RIDING IN. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

The biggest keys I know of, to guard against dehydration is food choices, and plenty of non diuretic fluids. 

When I plan to play in high temp/humid coditions, I start my hydration process the day before I plan on playing. This is a big factor for me to stay hydrated during play. 

I also continue my hydration process after I am done playing. 

I carry plenty water, fruits, and nuts in my golf bag. I continuously eat, and drink during play.

The thing with dehydration is once you start to feel thirsty, you are already dehydrating, and it's tougher for the body  to catch up.

Even a mild case of dehydration can cause a golfer grief on their score card.  

Another thing I do is I try to  get the cooler tee times. Early am, and later pm. That, and tend to play courses with more shade trees available. Also a road trip to cooler conditions works just fine. 

One course I frequent will not let golfers walk, during high temp/humid conditions. They require that carts be used.

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Informative 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Not much play around here,  it's really wet in the early morning and doesn't dry out till about the fifth or sixth, then the heat turns on.  It's also when the workers try to do stuff out there.  and I play early when I do play.  Evenings don't cool off at all till 9 or so and ever now and then, we get pop up thundershowers with lots of lightening at dusk too.   Played a week ago at the premier river course early and by 15, my concentration was shot,getting weak , finished by 1pm.  It was fairly empty.

So, I've been on this dang computer and watching a lotta golf on the tv; went to the golf shop today looking for a 21* hybrid or a putter or a driver (used me hopes).

It's always a challenge playing down here during the middle of the summer, especially as I have aged a little.  used to work out in it - huh ???  It is a record breaking summer for us - and only 5July !  

We can play thru most of the time during winter months though, get the good rolls !

58 minutes ago, Patch said:

I also continue my hydration process after I am done playing. 

I carry plenty water, fruits, and nuts in my golf bag. I continuously eat, and drink during play.

The thing with dehydration is once you start to feel thirsty, you are already dehydrating, and it's tougher for the body  to catch up.

Even a mild case of dehydration can cause a golfer grief on their score card.  

Question:  what purpose do the nuts serve?  

I drink plenty of water and have recently gotten into the habit for non-playing days too.  I could easily add a bag of nuts to my golf bag either instead of or in addition to protein bars.  Also what kind are you using for this purpose?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Patch said:

One course I frequent will not let golfers walk, during high temp/humid conditions. They require that carts be used.

Is it to improve their bottom line?  Keep you safe?  Or avoid liability issues?

17 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Is it to improve their bottom line?  Keep you safe?  Or avoid liability issues?

probably both.  I think they have a good assumption of risk/obvious risk argument should someone make some failure to warn claim.  Seems like a good faith effort of taking precautions and making money at the same time.  They're not mutually exclusive.

This is a big deal in South Florida.  The heat and humidity really take a toll.  The last round I played went until 2 PM.  It was mid 90s for the entire back 9. One of the guys did not finish - and he is 31 years old.  Thing is, the afternoons are frequently rainy.  It's not a fun choice when it comes to placing a tee time.

Do the cooling towels work well for 18 holes?

2 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Do the cooling towels work well for 18 holes?

My experience, at least in Michigan's high humidity, is that the cooling towels work very well for a few holes and then need to be hydrated again.    They do work very well if you have a water / ice source.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

You do have to rehydrate the cooling towels, but they work really well for a quick cool down.  I maybe get a few holes out of them, but a cart with a cooler of ice on it solves everything.

I bring a large Hydro bottle full of ice and three bottles of water, one frozen.  Also this:  

logo.png?82

Protect yourself from UV rays with High Performance Sun Hats for Athletes and Adventurers. Built in Visor and Removable Cord System for Visionary sun protection. The best sun hats for fishing, sailing, golfing, stand up...

a) Water, gatorade, ice, lots of towels and rain gloves, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc., or

b) get an earlier tee time, or

c) don't play in the heat.

I realized I never replied to the topic itself.

I have several insulated bottles -- they keep water cold.  I used to just carry water that had ice in it, but that coupled with slow play meant I generally had warm water by the end of the round, even with ice packs in my cooler.   Now I put a few ice cubes in the bottles before filling with water in the morning and, if I somehow have water left over after the round, it's cold for the drive home.

My main water bottle has a bit of lemon + lime, sometimes orange, and a ton of ice.  Filled.  It's a 22 oz bottle.  I also take 60 oz worth of other bottles of water, and most of the courses I play have reasonable water fountains somewhere that I can refill.  If I'm playing in the desert, I need to take less with me, as the desert courses always have water on the course.  The courses I play regularly out there, I know where the ice is too.  I refill the main one from the others at regular intervals. 

I take protein bars with me too but I estimate I eat one in maybe half my rounds.  Comments elsewhere seem to say I should do so more.  

I also wear solar sleeves over my arms, always -- and I sometimes wet them down on particularly hot days.  It feels good.  I am debating whether I should change them out at the turn on particularly hot days.  I try to wear longer pants for protection from the sun, but on particularly hot days, I'm back to shorts. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!