IGNORED

Course Management Strategies to Break 90

Hugh Jars
Note: This thread is 1619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 hours ago, jlbos83 said:

I break 90 now and then, and I think I am starting to notice the commonalities.

1. Don't go OB.  Just don't.  If it's a reasonable likelihood, think about club choice.  I often play a 310 yard hole with OB all the way down the right, and it's the first hole.  It's also a little downhill.  A bad 5 wood gets me within a 9 iron or less, a good one a sand wedge, or even lob wedge.  I don't need driver on that hole.  Without the OB, I think I'd play driver, but first tee, there's just no real benefit.

Assuming you keep a driver in play, how close would you be? 40 or less yards? I would think that would be quite a bit better than any full wedge/sort iron. Imagine your second shot being within 10 feet most of the time instead of on the green most of the time

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, Vinsk said:

So what’s to the left? If the hole is only 310yds imagine hitting a diver 230yds just not OB. 80yd shot...probably a pretty easy par yes? 

IF the driver stays in play!

17 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Assuming you keep a driver in play, how close would you be? 40 or less yards? I would think that would be quite a bit better than any full wedge/sort iron. Imagine your second shot being within 10 feet most of the time instead of on the green most of the time

and again, ASSUMING the driver stays in play!  That's always the trick!

To the left are some trees, and another fairway.  It's kind of luck whether you have a shot from there, or not, maybe 50-50.  Driver brings a fairway bunker on the right into play.  There's also one on the left, but it's not really in play, even with 5 wood (which i adjusted strong).  My reasoning is that almost any five wood gives me a wedge of some flavor in, which is usually a pretty reasonable shot.  I'm getting better at the 60 yard type shot, but right now I am almost more comfortable at 90-100.  And the 5 wood isn't going into the parking lot.  Even if the driver only goes there one in ten times, it's a double, at least, on the first hole, and fighting back (to my current goal of bogey golf) before I'm out of the gate.  As it is I almost never have more than bogey, and a fair number of pars.  I do expect that I will start hitting driver more on that hole (I do when the tees are near the back of the box), as I get more confident that it is staying in play.

The goal here is to shoot 90, which means don't get doubles!  If I was aiming at 80 (next year) my strategy might change, as well.  Since if I am after 80, I think I need to turn that into a birdie opportunity on a more regular basis.

It is possible that my thinking isn't optimal, which makes this kind of thread useful.  But right now, it's how I play to get better than 90.

Edited by jlbos83

33 minutes ago, jlbos83 said:

I'm getting better at the 60 yard type shot, but right now I am almost more comfortable at 90-100. 

Have you seen this?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I have broken 90 several times. Based on my driver distance average and USGA suggestions (and others on this site), I play appropriate tees. I have found that knowing the distances I can comfortably hit each club, especially 100 yards in, and keeping away from trouble are keys for me. AND no three putts! Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

On 10/19/2019 at 12:16 AM, Bonvivant said:

I played this course twice yesterday.  95 and 93, so not 90, but not awful, either (for me).  Get par on that hole both times, with the 5 wood.  First time pulled it far enough left that I had a shot at the green (though over a tree) with a PW, and hit it pin high, maybe 20 feet.  Second time was less left, zipped right through the FW bunker on the left, to 97 yards.  SW went about 99, a little right (perhaps the wind, or I just can't aim!) to about 15 feet.  Birdie putt scared it, easy par.  Proves nothing, of course, but that hole isn't my issue!  I do think I will go to driver, though, once I believe it will stay on the course on that hole.  There just isn't a lot of room for error.  I hit several drives on other holes that were totally playable that could well have been OB on #1.

Actually ended the first round with 3 straight pars, then the par on #1 the second time around for 4 in a row.  That could be a first.

Just now, jlbos83 said:

I played this course twice yesterday.  95 and 93, so not 90, but not awful, either (for me).  Get par on that hole both times, with the 5 wood.  First time pulled it far enough left that I had a shot at the green (though over a tree) with a PW, and hit it pin high, maybe 20 feet.  Second time was less left, zipped right through the FW bunker on the left, to 97 yards.  SW went about 99, a little right (perhaps the wind, or I just can't aim!) to about 15 feet.  Birdie putt scared it, easy par.  Proves nothing, of course, but that hole isn't my issue!  I do think I will go to driver, though, once I believe it will stay on the course on that hole.  There just isn't a lot of room for error.  I hit several drives on other holes that were totally playable that could well have been OB on #1.

Actually ended the first round with 3 straight pars, then the par on #1 the second time around for 4 in a row.  That could be a first.

There are definitely holes where driver is a less than optimal club, but even in your second example, would you have not cleared the bunker that you got a lucky skip through had you been hitting driver? I know a lot of people are afraid of 40-60 yard pitches, but that can be easily worked on, and you might be 6-12 ft away instead of 20 ft, greatly improving your chance of a birdie. I understand the fear of the driver because I had it, but 1.5 range sessions later I didn't hesitate to pull it out on almost every par 4-5.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

9 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

There are definitely holes where driver is a less than optimal club, but even in your second example, would you have not cleared the bunker that you got a lucky skip through had you been hitting driver? I know a lot of people are afraid of 40-60 yard pitches, but that can be easily worked on, and you might be 6-12 ft away instead of 20 ft, greatly improving your chance of a birdie. I understand the fear of the driver because I had it, but 1.5 range sessions later I didn't hesitate to pull it out on almost every par 4-5.

In this case it wasn't a lucky skip, it ended up at least 20 yards past.  But, the driver will eventually be the right club.  Right now, if I want to shoot 90 or less, I need to take double out of play as much as possible, I think.  It's so hard to get those back.  And going over the fence is almost certainly double, if not worse.  If I was good at the game, and trying to shoot 80, then trying to take advantage of the birdie hole would make sense.  Maybe I am being too defensive right now?  Or maybe that's where my game is?  It's a bit of a conundrum.  But I appreciate the feedback!

Well I’m still in the process of breaking 90. But my last outing I shot a 93 on a 6600 yard course while shooting 40 on the back 9! So I just need18 holes like that and I’m looking at 80😂

The key to the 40 was my driver and approach. The approach was something I’ve been working on the past year probably (so full swing) and I have just recently started to play the driver on pretty much any hole where I can. Previously I didn’t dare use it but I bought a new driver and 3 wood this year (used Cobras) and decided to just go for it. 

Golf is much easier when you hit a 250yard drive on that 440 yard par 4 and you “only” have 190 in. That way I can actually try to get par and go for the green in two. If I’m 240 out there is almost no way I’m playing for less than a bogey. 

And a 250 yard drive turns most par 5s in a birdie chance  

On 9/16/2019 at 2:29 AM, MaestroFarceNugget said:

1. Solid, repeatable contact with irons, 100 percent of the time. Ball first, ground second, and hit through the ball. Can't hit fat or thin at all, must be solid every time. Hitting through the ball is key.

2. Consistent shot pattern. Draw or fade, whatever, hit a curve and play for it.

3. Short game. Get up and down at least 30 percent.

4. Two putt often, few 3 putts.

If I check all the 4 boxes I’m probably breaking 80 more often than not...

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

Don't hit balls OB/lose balls.  Hit most greens.  You'll break 90 and then some.  

Hit most greens = playing in the low 70s not breaking 90...

To break 90 I think you just have to stay inside yourself, think, stay calm, accept the totally crappy shot and move on as if you're a robot.  And practice, smartly, at least twice a week.  And when on the practice green don't do what I see others doing... practicing the 100 foot putt.  Practice all the lengths you get in a typical round.  Oh, and like my son, don't practice bouncing the ball off your wedge clubface.  Fun, but it's better you spend that time on getting better... at the game you actually play.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
tipo

45 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Oh, and like my son, don't practice bouncing the ball off your wedge clubface.  Fun, but it's better you spend that time on getting better... at the game you actually play.

This is an essential skill that all golfers should master, at the earliest stage ossicle of their golfing development....

Stevie T

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Oh, and like my son, don't practice bouncing the ball off your wedge clubface.

What else am I supposed to do when I'm waiting to tee off?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, Killa said:

Hit most greens = playing in the low 70s not breaking 90...

"Most" is only 10, so you might shoot low 70s, but that likely puts in low 80s territory.  Depends on what else goes on in the round.

6 hours ago, ncates00 said:

"Most" is only 10, so you might shoot low 70s, but that likely puts in low 80s territory.  Depends on what else goes on in the round.

What do you reckon the tour average for GIR is?

7 hours ago, Killa said:

What do you reckon the tour average for GIR is?

Like someone comparing the future value of a security with the present value of a security, you're comparing apples and oranges.  A guy trying to break 90 isn't going to play as well as a tour player regardless of how many GIR he hits.  It's imperative for someone, like yourself, trying to break 90 to keep the ball in play and hit as many GIR as possible.  Having a goal of hitting most of the GIR is a really good goal for just about everyone, especially an 80-90s shooter like you.  After all, 80-90's shooters will have blow-up holes and post big numbers.  Hitting as many GIR will help with that.

Edited by ncates00

2 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Like someone comparing the future value of a security with the present value of a security, you're comparing apples and oranges.  A guy trying to break 90 isn't going to play as well as a tour player regardless of how many GIR he hits.  It's imperative for someone, like yourself, trying to break 90 to keep the ball in play and hit as many GIR as possible.  Having a goal of hitting most of the GIR is a really good goal for just about everyone, especially an 80-90s shooter like you.  After all, 80-90's shooters will have blow-up holes and post big numbers.  Hitting as many GIR will help with that.

It’s not. Tour average is 11ish. It’s not like you’ll just decide and shoot 10 GIR and then blow up 3 holes. My current record is 6/18. And that was when I shot 40 on the back nine. 

Note: This thread is 1619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!