IGNORED

Larger Holes (Cups) on Par 3/Short Courses

RussUK
Note: This thread is 1557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday I took my 6yr old son out for a round on our local course's par 3 course. Was a sunny morning but grass was wet so we finished with wet feet but very happy.

The course was modified to enable use for footgolf using the same greens as for normal golf a couple of years ago so the artificial greens are now a bit hard (and small) but the pro didn't charge for my son which was really nice.

Now, they normally have golf from 7:30am to 9am then follow the last tee time around taking the plugs out from the hole to turn them into footgolf sized holes. To save time they have stopped doing this, the result being enormous holes which my lad had to stand in to get his ball out (which we both thought was funny). We've all heard the debate in the past that larger holes make the game more fun and speeds play up and after yesterday I have to agree. Seeing my son, not only achieve his first par, but chip in twice made us both very happy.

I'm not suggesting we move to the cavernous footgolf holes, and not even larger holes on all courses, but larger holes on par 3 or short 9 hole courses (where the short course isn't the main course) could have benefits to those new to the game or who can't get out to play as much. I was surprised by the fact it wasn't as easy as I had expected due to small hard greens (sun was in my eyes too, and it was wet plus other excuses :-D) but it was such a laugh and we can't wait to do it again.

I know changes to the norm can often seem taboo subjects, but what do you guys think?

• Thumbs Up 2

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have read about this larger hole concept. Personally, I think it's a viable option, and I would have no problem with it. This especially for the non serious golfer, just out there to have fun. 

I say non serious golfer, because for the serious golfer, a larger hole might have a negative impact on their handicap. 

How much bigger? I have no idea. 6", 8"" or larger? I know at 6", I'd make a heck of lot more putts. 

I have helped with fun tournaments for youngsters where we painted a 2' diameter ring around the existing hole. All the youngster had to do was roll the ball over any part of the painted circle.

I also read a story once about a college golf team that practiced on a course with smaller than regulation holes. During a contest with another school, the course forgot to re-cut the holes to a regulation size. Don't remember who won, or if the deed was done on purpose.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I think it would be great fun to occasionally play golf with the footgolf holes.  Our local courses don't combine the two, though.  The footgolf "greens" and holes are off to the side of the golf greens and aren't actually green style grass either.  Just regular old fairway style bermuda or whatever.

And @Patch, the footgolf holes are huuuuge ... after all, a soccer ball needs to fit between the edge of the hole and the pin.  I think they are around 3' diameter?  Maybe 30".

Separately, there was a promotion that I think Taylor Made did a few years ago trying to make 10" holes happen for golf.  That would be fun too!  Especially at par 3 type places with beginners and kids.

Popular in this area is to have an 8" cup, 2 man scramble.  Lot of fun and that isn't as easy as you would think, because they usually put it in the worst spot on the green.....  LOL

The local par 3 also has Footgolf is off the green about 10-15 feet away...….

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

I think it's a good idea to have some par-3 courses where holes are larger to help new players, if the idea is people are leaving because of frustrations on the greens.  I wonder if that's why people leave, though.  I doubt anyone would take up golf because of the larger hole though.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 3 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 4:53 AM, RussUK said:

Yesterday I took my 6yr old son out for a round on our local course's par 3 course. Was a sunny morning but grass was wet so we finished with wet feet but very happy.

The course was modified to enable use for footgolf using the same greens as for normal golf a couple of years ago so the artificial greens are now a bit hard (and small) but the pro didn't charge for my son which was really nice.

Now, they normally have golf from 7:30am to 9am then follow the last tee time around taking the plugs out from the hole to turn them into footgolf sized holes. To save time they have stopped doing this, the result being enormous holes which my lad had to stand in to get his ball out (which we both thought was funny). We've all heard the debate in the past that larger holes make the game more fun and speeds play up and after yesterday I have to agree. Seeing my son, not only achieve his first par, but chip in twice made us both very happy.

I'm not suggesting we move to the cavernous footgolf holes, and not even larger holes on all courses, but larger holes on par 3 or short 9 hole courses (where the short course isn't the main course) could have benefits to those new to the game or who can't get out to play as much. I was surprised by the fact it wasn't as easy as I had expected due to small hard greens (sun was in my eyes too, and it was wet plus other excuses :-D) but it was such a laugh and we can't wait to do it again.

I know changes to the norm can often seem taboo subjects, but what do you guys think?

Wow! You guys play footgolf a lot differently than we do. We've only encountered one course modified to accommodate footgolf, and the "cups" are nowhere near the greens! We would spot these enormous white plastic "lids" at various places on the course, and finally realized what they were. 

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 2:54 AM, Buckeyebowman said:

Wow! You guys play footgolf a lot differently than we do. We've only encountered one course modified to accommodate footgolf, and the "cups" are nowhere near the greens! We would spot these enormous white plastic "lids" at various places on the course, and finally realized what they were. 

Most courses have the foot golf "greens" off the fairway short of the green but the little par 3 is mainly for footgolf these days.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• iacas changed the title to Larger Holes (Cups) on Par 3/Short Courses

We have a couple of executive 9's down here in Florida that have both regular and oversize cups on the greens. I find it very annoying to hit to a green that has two flagsticks on it. Looks silly and distracting. I don't think many feel that the larger cups make the game faster or easier anyway.

Note: This thread is 1557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!