IGNORED

Pushing Right With Driver

Dp75
Note: This thread is 1669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• iacas changed the title to Pushing Right With Driver
10 minutes ago, Dp75 said:

Please help me stop pushing it right with the driver, irons are good chipping is good just frustrated by driving right at the minute

You may be hitting your drives almost perfect, but lining up to the right.  Next time you set up lay down your driver along your toes and check your alignment.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Thanks for replying and they're definitely not perfect I've set the weights on my st190g to draw and aim a little left and same result. It's not a slice as such it just seems to go go right about 20-30 yards off fairway 

Be careful not to lean too far into the ball at impact.  That'll have you striking the ball with an open clubface.  And get the ball a little farther forward at setup so the club has more time to close.  But don't overdo it.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

I play a push draw, so I line up with my feet aiming left side of the fairway. Sometime it pushes straight, but if I aim the face down the middle, it stays in play.

i recommend starting a My Swing thread in the Member Swings section. You will get some pointers there.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Based on what I'm thinking your swing looks like, then moving the ball back will only make things worse.

I don't know because I was thinking I had it maybe a little forward so I was fetching arms through quicker to the ball??

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I play a push draw, so I line up with my feet aiming left side of the fairway. Sometime it pushes straight, but if I aim the face down the middle, it stays in play.

i recommend starting a My Swing thread in the Member Swings section. You will get some pointers there.

I'll do that thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a problem I also get into. When I talk to my pro about it, what he almost always immediately sees is me making a lateral weight shift instead of turning.

It results mostly in me pushing the ball, but sometimes, depending on my hand position, I can hit some monumental pulls too.

Obviously, like others, I'd suggest you see a teaching pro. I bet he or she can fix you up in no time flat. Then it comes down to practice.

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

18 minutes ago, DennisMiller said:

This is a problem I also get into. When I talk to my pro about it, what he almost always immediately sees is me making a lateral weight shift instead of turning.

It results mostly in me pushing the ball, but sometimes, depending on my hand position, I can hit some monumental pulls too.

Obviously, like others, I'd suggest you see a teaching pro. I bet he or she can fix you up in no time flat. Then it comes down to practice.

Yep I do this too. I tend to shift weight laterally too quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

If your pushing drives, I'd check a couple things right off the bat.

First, like Mocha man said, make sure you're alignment is solid by throwing a stick or club down at your feet. Afterall, you could be hitting straight shots but just setting up right of your target line. 

I would then double check to see if you club face is square to the target at address and not dipping too far back in your stance. Try setting the face down so that the bottom groove is perpendicular to your target line, then take your grip.

And finally, if you still are losing them to the right, try focusing on your timing through the shot. If your hands are passing through the slot well before the clubhead, there's and excellent chance that while your grip and alignment are perfect, the club is lagging too far behind causing and causing a block. Just make sure (with driver) you're playing the ball off your lead foot and being patient in allowing the driver to get in front of you and hit the ball, instead of dragging behind the hands.

Good Luck!

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

I have the same issue, hit my irons really well, however, with my driver my misses are either a push to the right with a higher ball flight or I pull it to the left.

For me it is because I am not getting my wrist flat at impact, I tend to cup it at the top of the swing with my driver which makes it almost impossible to get the face closed at impact.  

Edited by Inferno2ss

Your probably doing what’s called “getting stuck” on the down swing. Swinging inside to out which is good but swaying your left hip forward instead of tuning it out of the way. Happens to me. I concentrate on getting my belly button moving at and facing the target, that helps me clear my hips.

I was driving all my balls to the right for a period of time this season - it’s like a huge fade but still on the fairway and still playable. My instructor told me to check my grip to make sure my right hand is not open/turned too far out to the right. Once I started paying attention to that, my drives are straight again. It was a very very small adjustment but the difference is huge!

• Like 1

My problem was a strong fade to the right, not a slice but close to it. I watched 'How to hit a driver" under Swing Thoughts on TST and it helped a lot. I even wrote out the instructions and read them before I play because my 68 year old brain can't remember anything.

Note: This thread is 1669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!