IGNORED

Bio Kim Suspended

Patch
Note: This thread is 1654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I won't defend the owner of the phone or Bio Kim, but the Korean culture is much more harsh about breaking general rules of humanity and manners. In other words, I don't expect to totally understand the thoughts of the ruling body.

I agree with everyone who said 3 years is way too much a punishment, so I hope after a certain time, he can appeal the ruling. Three years could totally ruin a career, so I also hope he can play elsewhere in the meantime.

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

13 hours ago, billchao said:

Could just be a difference in cultural values thing.

Probably this^

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Shindig said:

I haven't read much about this story, but did he have priors?  There's a world of difference to me between this penalty on first offense and if he has done it before.  I'm also in the camp that wants to see something done next time Sergio does something obnoxious though too. 

Sergio will have more of his moments in 2020, i guarantee it.

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

When I first went to Singapore, we were coached not to spit or chew gum. You can get arrested.

Funny you mention that, I was chastised by a doorman in barcelona for spitting on a flower bed in front of  our hotel.  In retrospect, I probably shouldnt be spitting on flowers in any country.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Gracias for video clip! that was harmless btw

• Administrator
2 hours ago, wavygolf said:

Gracias for video clip! that was harmless btw

Physically harmless, sure, but it was not "harmless" at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Other culture, other punishments for the same action. Taking that in consideration I guess the punishment is ok but I hope he can still play in other tours.  

In many Asian countries, you can not turn the phone "click" off.  If a photo is being taken, the government has mandated that both parties need to know that a photo is being taken.  

Punishment is way too harsh IMO for B. Kim.

• 2 weeks later...

Suspension reduced to 1 year.

78.jpg

Kim will be eligible to return to competitive golf on the Korean Tour in 2021.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Suspension reduced to 1 year.

78.jpg

Kim will be eligible to return to competitive golf on the Korean Tour in 2021.

Still silly. Just humans being ridiculous really. Sad that a hand gesture can cause such uproar. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Still silly. Just humans being ridiculous really. Sad that a hand gesture can cause such uproar. 

It’s a completely different culture. If a tour pro said he was going to murder your wife and family would you be OK with someone else saying “those are just words”?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

It’s a completely different culture. If a tour pro said he was going to murder your wife and family would you be OK with someone else saying “those are just words”?

I’d kick his ass thoroughly and be done with it. That’s not the threat Bio made to the woman. You’ve entirely hypothesized that. His ‘giving the finger’ does not mean he’s going to kill her family nor would any reasonable, rational person be concerned such thing was going to occur from Bio. 
If I say, ‘ I’d kill for Rubin sandwich right now’ I’m not placed under arrest for threatening language.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
Just now, Vinsk said:

I’d kick his ass thoroughly and be done with it. That’s not the threat Bio made to the woman. You’ve entirely hypothesized that. His ‘giving the finger’ does not mean he’s going to kill her family nor would any reasonable, rational person be concerned such thing was going to occur from Bio. 

@Vinsk, I didn't "hypothesize" anything, and you've completely missed the point.

My point was pretty clearly two-fold:

• You're not Korean, and they have a different culture there, yet you're judging then penalties and so on by U.S. standards, not by Korean standards.
  • There are things others could have done to you (or to an American woman, or whatever) that someone else could excuse by saying "they're just words" just as you basically said "it's just a hand gesture." (paraphrased)

You're applying the wrong standard of judgment in judging his actions and the penalty. You're not Korean, nor do you live in Korea, etc.

For example, years ago Tiger said he "putted like a spaz" or something, which is a pretty common phrase in my time that wasn't super offensive to a great many people, but it was really offensive for people with certain disabilities in the UK, and I'm pretty sure he said it about his putting in the British Open.

You're not judging him by the "proper" standards, because you're judging him by YOUR standards.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

@Vinsk, I didn't "hypothesize" anything, and you've completely missed the point.

So have you. Suspending a golfer for 3 years ( one year) for reacting to a distraction that could’ve affected his tournament, income and career advancement is hardly reasonable. I’m not getting into a ‘ feelings were hurt, offended’ discussion. We see this differently and I’ll leave it at that. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

So have you.

I f***ing haven't. Read.

The only "point" you've attempted to make is that you think the penalty is too harsh when viewed through the lenses of your American glasses. That's not a point, either, it's just you stating your opinion.

You also haven't considered whether a multi-year suspension even means much to him. Maybe he only plays two events per year on that Tour, so the suspension might cost him next to nothing, and had it been even a month or two, might literally have been a completely ineffective penalty as he wasn't going to play in the next month anyway.

Just now, iacas said:

I f***ing haven't. Read.

So why did they reduce the suspension? That’s my point.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

So why did they reduce the suspension? That’s my point.

Because he showed contrition or something, I don't know. Suspensions in the NFL are often reduced after the hearing or appeal. Ditto in other sports. They're almost never made longer unless new evidence comes out. A bunch of Americans will still think a year is 11.5 months too long… and they too would be judging it based on their value system, not Korea's.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Because he showed contrition or something, I don't know. Suspensions in the NFL are often reduced after the hearing or appeal. Ditto in other sports. They're almost never made longer unless new evidence comes out. A bunch of Americans will still think a year is 11.5 months too long… and they too would be judging it based on their value system, not Korea's.

He could appeal legally but it’s against culture, quite seriously, to appeal. He did it. He could not deny that so the appeal would be taken quite harshly and negatively. They reduced the suspension to one year after the overwhelming disapproval from all over the world on his suspension. And to my point they, despite their own culture, acknowledged they were overreacting and reduced it. So I understand your point and you are correct regarding seeing this from America culture vs Korean. But In a world more exposed to one another than ever they conceded to the general opinion which is a good thing in this case.

then there's this one:

Back in 1985, Curtis Strange was penalized two strokes for farting when he teed off because someone complained to an official about it. He replied something like "You might as well penalize me a couple more strokes because it's going to happen again."

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 1654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!