IGNORED

Airplane Runway Alongside Fairway - Vancouver Island

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It may be perspective, that landing strip looks pretty narrow. According to a comment in the post, it's Sandpiper in Vancouver Island.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

It may be perspective, that landing strip looks pretty narrow. According to a comment in the post, it's Sandpiper in Vancouver Island.

Wow! That’s awesome. Boy...I could shank a good one and wreck havoc for those pilots! You’re right...that’s one small strip!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

How about airplane runway ON the fairway?!  As a kid I played a sand greens course in the Ozarks of Missouri on a few occasions.  Small, local airport with grass runways on a couple of the 9 holes.  Signs warned you that if you saw a plane incoming or outgoing, get out of the way.  Best part was over by the pro shop/hangers was a wind sock you could see from any part of the course... never needed to toss grass clippings in the air.  😏

• Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

How about airplane runway ON the fairway?!

Harrison Ford's done it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Harrison Ford's done it.

Gotta love golf course landings.  In my best Johnny Miller voice:  "He can land that thing at 290 yards and carry the bunker on the left, leaving him a shorter taxi to the green."

This is a drone flyover of Mountain Air CC in western NC:

You can see the golf course on either side of the airstrip, on top of a mountain.

• Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

You can see the golf course on either side of the airstrip, on top of a mountain.

That looks really cool!  Is the end of the runway next to the 1st tee?  Unload clubs, tee it up...

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Played Mountain Air several times as a buddy owns a home there.  Really a beautiful course that is very up and down.  Runway is right there but you'd really have to hit a bad shot for it to come into play.

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

That looks really cool!  Is the end of the runway next to the 1st tee?  Unload clubs, tee it up...

I think the cart path goes around the near end of the runway between #5 and #6.  The clubhouse is near the far end of the strip.

Just now, gbogey said:

Played Mountain Air several times as a buddy owns a home there.  Really a beautiful course that is very up and down.  Runway is right there but you'd really have to hit a bad shot for it to come into play.

Likewise, a friend from my home club invited me to play a member-guest with him there at his second home.  Unfortunately, the event was cancelled due to clouds.  Not fog, really, but clouds.  The landing strip is at elevation 4300 feet or so, so low clouds made it impossible to play golf.  We did get a couple of practice rounds in, and as part of the festivities we got to hit drivers down the runway.  Its not easy to hit it straight down a 50-foot wide runway!

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

18 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Gotta love golf course landings.  In my best Johnny Miller voice:  "He can land that thing at 290 yards and carry the bunker on the left, leaving him a shorter taxi to the green."

He clipped some trees on the way down so he got a fortune bounce to end up in the fairway. 

HU2ZIK7YMFBXSGTA3I3LOJOJBI.png

The NTSB released its accident report on Harrison Ford's plane...

All jokes aside, he was pretty banged up from that one. A less accomplished pilot might not have fared as well.

14 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Runway is right there but you'd really have to hit a bad shot for it to come into play.

Hold my beer.

10 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Its not easy to hit it straight down a 50-foot wide runway!

I'd probably miss the runway if it was 50 yards wide.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Spuce Creek is a golf and fly-in community over by Daytona Beach, about 45 minutes from me. 

John Travolta used to maintain his jet there.  On any given Saturday, while playing golf, you’ll have dozens of planes flying around, doing aerobatics, flying in formation, and just having a good time. There are several tee boxes that require you to check for landing or departing aircraft before teeing off...

DAC94901-6BA1-402C-BBAE-9BA269784144.jpeg

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

This course is called Sandpiper and is not located on Vancouver Island....it's in Harrison Mills....about a 90 minute drive east from downtown Vancouver.

It's a pretty course with many trees....that airplane runway is seldom used.

That's part of the Fraser river in the video.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Spuce Creek is a golf and fly-in community over by Daytona Beach, about 45 minutes from me. 

John Travolta used to maintain his jet there.  On any given Saturday, while playing golf, you’ll have dozens of planes flying around, doing aerobatics, flying in formation, and just having a good time. There are several tee boxes that require you to check for landing or departing aircraft before teeing off...

When you posted this one, a fly-in golf course, I was tempted to post about the fly-in BBQ joint near Pinehurst.  But that's a little far from the topic even for me, so I'll keep it all to myself.  :whistle:

Dave

Most of my golf is played under the take-off path of Van Nuys airport, at one time the 4th busiest airport in the country. The airport is several miles away. I don't mind the single engine prop planes, but the corporate jets seem to come out of nowhere, engines roaring. I've learned to step away and let the noise pass.  

Note: This thread is 1610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!