Jump to content
davidrichards

I Weighed 100 Golf Balls and Here's What I Found

62 posts / 3422 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I can't play at the moment because I'm injured so decided to put my golf balls to use. I weighed 100 golf balls from 8 different manufacturers and here's what I found:

  • The better the condition of the ball, the heavier it will be on average. Poor balls weighed 45.72, average balls weighed 45.73, good balls weighed 45.8 and new balls weighed 45.93 on average.
  • If you play poor condition balls, you could see a weight difference of 3.3 grams from one ball to another. If you play average condition balls, they could differ up to 2.9 grams in weight from one ball to the next.
  • New golf balls have very little difference in weight from one ball to another with 0.1 grams difference between the new balls I weighed.
  • Playing balls in good condition means you’re only likely to see about a 1.1 gram difference in weight between balls.

Golf ball weight variance depending on ball condition.

Ball conditions were defined as: 

  • Poor - visible damage to the point that the ball is unplayable, such as holes/cuts in the ball or sections missing.
  • Average - some visible damage such as small scuffs or marks but appears fine to play with.
  • Good - no visible damage to the ball, you can only just tell it's been used.
  • New - brand new golf ball never been used before.

May look to expand my data set in the future so any ideas for getting more insights are welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

How does this weight difference affect the playability of the golf balls?  What might you attribute the weight loss to?  Could the loss of weight affect the density of the inner or outer portions of the golf ball?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Osnola said:

How does this weight difference affect the playability of the golf balls?  What might you attribute the weight loss to?  Could the loss of weight affect the density of the inner or outer portions of the golf ball?

Difficult to say but as most new balls I weighed were at the legal limit, perhaps as older balls get lighter they become marginally less efficient? I'd say weight loss affects both inner and outer portions of the ball. Obviously if a ball is missing a chunk it might get lighter but some balls appeared fine visually, but weighed less when compared to a different ball that was the same model in the same condition. Difficult to say what you could attribute the weight loss to, as some balls with chunks missing actually turned out heavier (maybe as dirt filled them).

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

What did you use to weigh them?

I used a digital scales which showed grams to the nearest tenth, I used a few different scales to validate its accuracy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, davidrichards said:

I used a digital scales which showed grams to the nearest tenth, I used a few different scales to validate its accuracy.

Hmmm. I don't really trust the significant digits, then, down to a tenth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/3/2019 at 12:48 PM, iacas said:

Hmmm. I don't really trust the significant digits, then, down to a tenth.

Usually scales are really only accurate to the digit above the last displayed. So a scale showing 0.1 is probably +/- .2 or .3g. The ones we have at work are Mettler Toledo and show .001 and we only trust up to .01g. And we calibrate them every 3 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Usually scales are really only accurate to the digit above the last displayed. So a scale showing 0.1 is probably +/- .2 or .3g. The ones we have at work are Mettler Toledo and show .001 and we only trust up to .01g. And we calibrate them every 3 months.

And your scales cost a LOT more than the ones he probably used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the OP has the time, it's not hard to do a GR&R and find out how good his scale is.

Always more accurate than just reading the print on the package.  Of course, if the display doesn't go deeper than a 1/10th, then......

Edited by rehmwa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/3/2019 at 12:39 PM, criley4way said:

The variation in weight is up to 7%.

Now does that make a difference in flight?

Ever been to a TopGolf? Their balls are 70 percent the weight of a normal ball, I believe. Guess how far they go.....about 75 percent of normal distance. Applying that, a heavily used ball will go about 95 percent of a new one. Doesn't sound like a lot until you are losing 13 yards off the drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

Ever been to a TopGolf? Their balls are 70 percent the weight of a normal ball, I believe. Guess how far they go.....about 75 percent of normal distance. Applying that, a heavily used ball will go about 95 percent of a new one. Doesn't sound like a lot until you are losing 13 yards off the drive.

Is this true Iacas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

Is this true Iacas?

 

Just now, iacas said:

I don't know. Something like that, I think. I'm sure someone can search it on the Web.

It's probably actually worse driving numbers because with a highly used ball, you would be losing some of the aerodynamics of the dimples. But they definitely won't go as far, no matter what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

🤔...This concerns me a little. I have 200+ prov1/prov1x/avx, and another 100+ tour level balls, (bridgestone, tm, snell, Srixon, etc), that I've found. They're like brand new, but who knows how old. Also, I will play the same ball 100 +/- holes sometimes until I lose it, or bruise it. Are you saying I could be losing 10-15 yards playing these used/old age balls as opposed to starting with a brand new ball every round?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok I googled it and found an answer. There's basically no difference in performance of a brand new ball, tested against a ball that was recovered from a water hazard. They tested balls that were placed in the water for 1/3/5 months. Then tested them against a brand new version and found "maybe" a 1% difference. The balls used in this independent research were prov1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

Ok I googled it and found an answer. There's basically no difference in performance of a brand new ball, tested against a ball that was recovered from a water hazard. They tested balls that were placed in the water for 1/3/5 months. Then tested them against a brand new version and found "maybe" a 1% difference. The balls used in this independent research were prov1.

That test was also conducted by a site selling found golf balls (https://golfballdivers.com). So… take it with a grain of salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...