Matthew62

Can’t Read Numbers on the Sole of Irons

48 posts / 1573 viewsLast Reply

Hello all, got a new set of irons for Christmas. Mizuno HoTMetaL irons. I really like them, the only problem is I can’t read the club number without putting my reading glasses on while playing. The number on the club is painted white on top of the satin/chrome. Any suggestions, I was thinking of using a black sharpie. Not sure if that would make the number easier to read or not.

tks

If you want to put the time in you can change the paint color on your irons. Here is a video on how to do it. Black sharpie will come off.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

If you want to put the time in you can change the paint color on your irons. Here is a video on how to do it. Black sharpie will come off.

I actually jusy had a conversation about this last night. Need to give this method a whirl on my irons and wedges for sure. 

9 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I actually jusy had a conversation about this last night. Need to give this method a whirl on my irons and wedges for sure. 

It's not that hard, I did this about 10 years ago with a set of Titleist blades before I sold them.

15 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

It's not that hard, I did this about 10 years ago with a set of Titleist blades before I sold them.

I figured it wouldnt be a huge project but the video looked even more simple than I expected. i need to do both the numbers and the logos on the back of my Nike blades. The only question now is if I should take it back to the original black, or do something wild and crazy. 

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

The only question now is if I should take it back to the original black, or do something wild and crazy.

This question answers itself, doesn’t it? 😃

2 hours ago, Matthew62 said:

Hello all, got a new set of irons for Christmas. Mizuno HoTMetaL irons. I really like them, the only problem is I can’t read the club number without putting my reading glasses on while playing. The number on the club is painted white on top of the satin/chrome. Any suggestions, I was thinking of using a black sharpie. Not sure if that would make the number easier to read or not.

tks

You could trade them in for HotMetal Pro Irons from Mizuno... pretty similar clubs except the number on the bottom is written in black. 

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

I mean kind of. I thought it might be cool to do a darkish red as an ode to the goat on sundays though. And considering that its a home job and I play lots it'll probably wear off fast. 

3 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I mean kind of. I thought it might be cool to do a darkish red as an ode to the goat on sundays though. And considering that its a home job and I play lots it'll probably wear off fast. 

Yeah, do the red... It would be cool.

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

I did mine in bright red and it looked pretty cool. I almost didn't want to sell them. I've considered doing it to my current sets over the years, but just never got around to it. 

9 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

One color doesn't wear off faster than another as they are all acrylic paint and set in the grooves of the number. Just pick a color you can see.

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Do them in pink... it would be so Bubba.

Hard pass. 

17 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I did mine in bright red and it looked pretty cool. I almost didn't want to sell them. I've considered doing it to my current sets over the years, but just never got around to it. 

One color doesn't wear off faster than another as they are all acrylic paint and set in the grooves of the number. Just pick a color you can see.

How long does it take for it to wear? The face/grooves on my clubs are in really good condition but almost all of the original paint is gone. Should I expect 1 year, 5 years, 20 years out of the paint that I do myself? This might change my mind on colors if its going to last more that 5 years. 

Could take em to my buddy that does physical vapor deposition and get a really custom look. Sorry for the semi hijack but I bet you could read these

hero.jpg

images.jpeg.jpg

32 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

How long does it take for it to wear? The face/grooves on my clubs are in really good condition but almost all of the original paint is gone. Should I expect 1 year, 5 years, 20 years out of the paint that I do myself? This might change my mind on colors if its going to last more that 5 years. 

The kid I sold my irons to kept them for a couple years and the paint fills were still good when he got rid of them. He played a lot too. I would imagine they would last as long as a normal paint fill would, several seasons. I mean it is a permanent thing, its not designed to wear out.

Just now, NM Golf said:

The kid I sold my irons to kept them for a couple years and the paint fills were still good when he got rid of them. He played a lot too. I would imagine they would last as long as a normal paint fill would, several seasons. I mean it is a permanent thing, its not designed to wear out.

Thanks for the info.

On 1/17/2020 at 12:15 PM, Bonvivant said:

I figured it wouldnt be a huge project but the video looked even more simple than I expected. i need to do both the numbers and the logos on the back of my Nike blades. The only question now is if I should take it back to the original black, or do something wild and crazy. 

FLUORESCENT ORANGE !

On 1/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, Bonvivant said:

Wild, and crazy always worked well for me. Go for it.