IGNORED

Can’t Read Numbers on the Sole of Irons

Matthew62
Note: This thread is 1522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all, got a new set of irons for Christmas. Mizuno HoTMetaL irons. I really like them, the only problem is I can’t read the club number without putting my reading glasses on while playing. The number on the club is painted white on top of the satin/chrome. Any suggestions, I was thinking of using a black sharpie. Not sure if that would make the number easier to read or not.

tks

• iacas changed the title to Can’t See
  • Administrator

A black sharpie on the sole would wear off pretty quickly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Can’t Read Numbers on the Sole of Irons

If you want to put the time in you can change the paint color on your irons. Here is a video on how to do it. Black sharpie will come off.

• Like 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

16 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

If you want to put the time in you can change the paint color on your irons. Here is a video on how to do it. Black sharpie will come off.

I actually jusy had a conversation about this last night. Need to give this method a whirl on my irons and wedges for sure. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

9 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I actually jusy had a conversation about this last night. Need to give this method a whirl on my irons and wedges for sure. 

It's not that hard, I did this about 10 years ago with a set of Titleist blades before I sold them.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

15 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

It's not that hard, I did this about 10 years ago with a set of Titleist blades before I sold them.

I figured it wouldnt be a huge project but the video looked even more simple than I expected. i need to do both the numbers and the logos on the back of my Nike blades. The only question now is if I should take it back to the original black, or do something wild and crazy. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

The only question now is if I should take it back to the original black, or do something wild and crazy.

This question answers itself, doesn’t it? 😃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, Matthew62 said:

Hello all, got a new set of irons for Christmas. Mizuno HoTMetaL irons. I really like them, the only problem is I can’t read the club number without putting my reading glasses on while playing. The number on the club is painted white on top of the satin/chrome. Any suggestions, I was thinking of using a black sharpie. Not sure if that would make the number easier to read or not.

tks

You could trade them in for HotMetal Pro Irons from Mizuno... pretty similar clubs except the number on the bottom is written in black. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

I mean kind of. I thought it might be cool to do a darkish red as an ode to the goat on sundays though. And considering that its a home job and I play lots it'll probably wear off fast. 

3 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I mean kind of. I thought it might be cool to do a darkish red as an ode to the goat on sundays though. And considering that its a home job and I play lots it'll probably wear off fast. 

Yeah, do the red... It would be cool.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

I did mine in bright red and it looked pretty cool. I almost didn't want to sell them. I've considered doing it to my current sets over the years, but just never got around to it. 

9 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

One color doesn't wear off faster than another as they are all acrylic paint and set in the grooves of the number. Just pick a color you can see.

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Do them in pink... it would be so Bubba.

Hard pass. 

17 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I did mine in bright red and it looked pretty cool. I almost didn't want to sell them. I've considered doing it to my current sets over the years, but just never got around to it. 

One color doesn't wear off faster than another as they are all acrylic paint and set in the grooves of the number. Just pick a color you can see.

How long does it take for it to wear? The face/grooves on my clubs are in really good condition but almost all of the original paint is gone. Should I expect 1 year, 5 years, 20 years out of the paint that I do myself? This might change my mind on colors if its going to last more that 5 years. 

Could take em to my buddy that does physical vapor deposition and get a really custom look. Sorry for the semi hijack but I bet you could read these

hero.jpg

images.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

How long does it take for it to wear? The face/grooves on my clubs are in really good condition but almost all of the original paint is gone. Should I expect 1 year, 5 years, 20 years out of the paint that I do myself? This might change my mind on colors if its going to last more that 5 years. 

The kid I sold my irons to kept them for a couple years and the paint fills were still good when he got rid of them. He played a lot too. I would imagine they would last as long as a normal paint fill would, several seasons. I mean it is a permanent thing, its not designed to wear out.

• Like 1

Just now, NM Golf said:

The kid I sold my irons to kept them for a couple years and the paint fills were still good when he got rid of them. He played a lot too. I would imagine they would last as long as a normal paint fill would, several seasons. I mean it is a permanent thing, its not designed to wear out.

Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 12:15 PM, Bonvivant said:

I figured it wouldnt be a huge project but the video looked even more simple than I expected. i need to do both the numbers and the logos on the back of my Nike blades. The only question now is if I should take it back to the original black, or do something wild and crazy. 

FLUORESCENT ORANGE !

On 1/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, Bonvivant said:

Wild, and crazy always worked well for me. Go for it. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!