IGNORED

I Have 15 Clubs. Which One Do I Take Out?

Note: This thread is 1431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@WUTiger would be happy to know that my “Sweet Sixteen” has become my “Fantastic Fifteen”. For those of you who wonder why the hell I always have this dilemma, well it’s a kind of Shane thing as it’s known.

Now for those who can’t see my signature this is what I currently have:

:srixon: Z785 Driver (9.5°), ZF85 3-wood (15°), ZU85 2-iron (18°), Z585 3-iron (20°), Z785 4-PW, AW (22°, 25°, 28°, 32°, 36°, 41°, 46°, 51°)

:cleveland: RTX-4 Black Satin 54°/10° Mid, 58°/9° Full. Huntington Beach Soft #1 Putter 37"

Now the whole thing is I don’t want to get on the whole internet distance inflation deal. I was fitted for all of these clubs. I originally was going to get the H85 3-hybrid or F85 5-wood when I went into the fitting, however the U85 was a better fit.

So I have three ideas of which club to drop for the 14-club rule: 

1) The 51° I can play a really good 10-2 PW that goes almost the same distance as my 51° wedge. So that’s a possibility. the con is I like to chip with my AW.

2) The 3-iron. I can shorten up on my 2-iron and hit it the same distance as my stock 3-iron. The con is: I can work the 3-iron both ways.

3) 3-wood. I haven’t hit a 3-wood in years (mostly a 4-wood guy). I can hit this club a long way. Don’t really need it for par-5 second shots, but off the tee I do.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you play the same course all of the time?   How many times per round do you hit your 3W off of the tee?

I believe you'll find more control hitting a partial PW over a full 51º.   

Is your 3 iron the only club you can work both ways?

I don't have any answers, just questions.   Good luck

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

6 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

@WUTiger would be happy to know that my “Sweet Sixteen” has become my “Fantastic Fifteen”. For those of you who wonder why the hell I always have this dilemma, well it’s a kind of Shane thing as it’s known.

Now for those who can’t see my signature this is what I currently have:

:srixon: Z785 Driver (9.5°), ZF85 3-wood (15°), ZU85 2-iron (18°), Z585 3-iron (20°), Z785 4-PW, AW (22°, 25°, 28°, 32°, 36°, 41°, 46°, 51°)

:cleveland: RTX-4 Black Satin 54°/10° Mid, 58°/9° Full. Huntington Beach Soft #1 Putter 37"

Now the whole thing is I don’t want to get on the whole internet distance inflation deal. I was fitted for all of these clubs. I originally was going to get the H85 3-hybrid or F85 5-wood when I went into the fitting, however the U85 was a better fit.

So I have three ideas of which club to drop for the 14-club rule: 

1) The 51° I can play a really good 10-2 PW that goes almost the same distance as my 51° wedge. So that’s a possibility. the con is I like to chip with my AW.

2) The 3-iron. I can shorten up on my 2-iron and hit it the same distance as my stock 3-iron. The con is: I can work the 3-iron both ways.

3) 3-wood. I haven’t hit a 3-wood in years (mostly a 4-wood guy). I can hit this club a long way. Don’t really need it for par-5 second shots, but off the tee I do.

I am in the exact same spot you are with nearly the same clubs. I have the srixon/cleveland bag driver, 3w, 2i and 3-9pw, 52,56,60. The way I decide on the 14 is based on what course I am playing and I substitute out the 3W, 2iron, or 3iron. Keep the 15 where ever you go and decide from there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Just now, dennyjones said:

Do you play the same course all of the time?   How many times per round do you hit your 3W off of the tee?

I believe you'll find more control hitting a partial PW over a full 51º.   

Is your 3 iron the only club you can work both ways?

I don't have any answers, just questions.   Good luck

Question 1: I usually do. 90% of the time.

Yeah, the 51° usually is around 120 yards but I tended to pull full wedges from inside 120 I don’t so much since I’ve shortened my swing.

Question 2: No. But off the tee. I fade the 2 iron and I can work the 3-iron both ways off the tee. I struggle with the draw with the 2-iron.

The 3-wood I hit off the tee on about 4 holes a round, the 1st, the 6th, the 13th and 15th.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

What does the 2-iron do for you?

I finally dumped mine years ago from a bag that looked a lot like yours...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

What does the 2-iron do for you?

I finally dumped mine years ago from a bag that looked a lot like yours...

A lot. Great back-up club off the tee. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Just now, onthehunt526 said:

A lot. Great back-up club off the tee. 

I thought your 3-wood covered that.

Good golfers love to show off their 2-irons.  I know I did.  Until I realized that it didn’t really pay its way in the end...  

Just a thought...   ;-)

In David's bag....

10 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I thought your 3-wood covered that.

Good golfers love to show off their 2-irons.  I know I did.  Until I realized that it didn’t really pay its way in the end...  

Just a thought...   ;-)

I haven’t really had a utility iron before and this thing is as forgiving a hybrid.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

1 minute ago, onthehunt526 said:

I haven’t really had a utility iron before and this thing is as forgiving a hybrid.

Assuming your iron gaps are fairly normal and consistent, your realistic choices are the 3-wood or the 2-iron.  Pick whichever one you get the least use out of.

In David's bag....

Im going to go the opposite way of everyone on this. If you really love all of those clubs at the top of your bag (there are too many there), then ditch the 58 degree. 54 degrees is plenty to get out of bunkers and flop shots are silly for the average bloke anyway. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

50 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Im going to go the opposite way of everyone on this. If you really love all of those clubs at the top of your bag (there are too many there), then ditch the 58 degree. 54 degrees is plenty to get out of bunkers and flop shots are silly for the average bloke anyway. 

It’s worth noting that the OP isn’t “average”.  He’s a 4 hcp, and likely puts that 58° wedge to good use when need be...

In David's bag....

9 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I'd drop the 3 iron and focusing on hitting one shot shape and work towards mastering that.

Do you honestly play that many courses which absolutely force you to hit the ball a certain way off the tee and without hitting said shot shape, you're in a hazard? Even if you are, what is that, maybe one shot a round? There is probably another option you can take off the tee, and you will probably be more accurate just hitting your stock shot anyway instead of trying to work it both ways. Plus, let's say you are going to play a course and there are 5 super sharp dog leg lefts that absolutely require you to hit that 3 iron or else you will run out of fairway or something, then just pop the 3 iron in the bag for that round and take out the 3 wood for that round.

If you hit your 3 wood 4 times per round and you use the 51 degree for chipping, removing the 3 iron seems like it would be the one that would impact your game the least. You'd still have 3 long clubs you can hit off the tee, and you still have the club you like to chip with, and you'd still be covered when facing a long par 5 because you said you can shorten up the 2 iron and make it go just like your stock 3 iron.

From a different topic:

On 8/14/2012 at 2:04 PM, iacas said:

A Quick Word on Shaping the Ball

95% of the shots a pro plays (Tiger Woods may be one of a group of very small exceptions, and even he isn't as different as many think) are their stock shot. They don't curve much, but if a player is a drawer of the golf ball, 95% of their shots draw. It's the most reliable, dependable way to play - with a pattern.

Kenny Perry (a pronounced drawer) was playing at Doral a few years ago and someone asked him what he does with a pin on the right side of the green. He said he aimed at the flag and if his ball didn't draw, he got lucky, but otherwise he was content to have a 25-footer for birdie.

Then the person asked him what he did when the pin was on the left side of the green. "I make birdie" he said. 🙂

You'll get better, faster if you develop a pattern. Shaping the ball is over-rated - not even the pros do it all that often. Shaping the ball can get you out of trouble. It can be a good shot when the ball needs to be worked around an obstacle (reaching a par five in two, the tee shot on a dogleg, etc.). But if you've got a look at the flag, take the Kenny Perry approach: aim for your shot cone and play your pattern.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

22 minutes ago, David in FL said:

It’s worth noting that the OP isn’t “average”.  He’s a 4 hcp, and likely puts that 58° wedge to good use when need be...

Not a 4 handicap if he's been using 15/16 clubs to get that number. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

3 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Not a 4 handicap if he's been using 15/16 clubs to get that number. 

Don’t use 15 or 16 clubs when I post rounds, the usual 14 clubs. The top end is usually where I drop a club.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

if you don't compete, or carry a handicap, and don't mind the heavy bag, keep them all - add a few more

Don’t use 15 or 16 clubs when I post rounds, the usual 14 clubs. The top end is usually where I drop a club.

whoops, then you already have it solved - carry the 14 that make the most sense for whatever course you are 'officially' playing on.  like you are already doing

Bill - 

Gotcha. I figured that was the case, but it wasn't explicitly said. I think that the bag is top heavy and that you should have 15 with you when you get to the course and ditch one in the trunk (probably 2 or 3 iron) depending on how you are feeling. Just curious, do you use the 58 lots? 

I say drop either the 2i or the 3i. If you like your 2i and can use it to make up for the 3i, drop the 3i.

The fairway wood is one of those clubs that you may not need often, but when a shot calls for it, there’s no substitute for it in the bag. It’s unlikely that you’re going to choke down on your driver and hit if off the deck in lieu of a 3w. If you don’t like it and prefer a 4w, just swap that out when you get the chance.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

40 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Gotcha. I figured that was the case, but it wasn't explicitly said. I think that the bag is top heavy and that you should have 15 with you when you get to the course and ditch one in the trunk (probably 2 or 3 iron) depending on how you are feeling. Just curious, do you use the 58 lots? 

Typically my 58° is my bunker, pitch shot club. I don’t hit flops I’m not Phil Mickelson. I hit just a standard pitch most of the time.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 1431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!