IGNORED

NCAA Football 2020

saevel25
Note: This thread is 1190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Biggest headlines so far..

1. Ohio State killing it on the recruiting trail for 2020. 17 commits, 95.25 (out of 100) average per player. On pace to have the greatest recruiting class of all time. The scary thing is, they could pick up 3 more of the top 100 recruits for 2020. That isn't included the top player who decommitted from Clemson. On a side note, this has been killing OU's recruiting. OSU got the transfer from OU. They took the RB that OU wanted. Then Riley sub-tweeted that they got a commit. The commit doesn't confirm it, and then all the recruiting insiders flip their predictions from OU to OSU. Then 24 hours later the kid commits to OSU. 

2. Mac Brown at North Carolina, killing it on the recruiting trail, ranked 2nd and having 14 commits so far. The guy almost pulled off the biggest upset last year against Clemson. Will there finally be competition for Clemson in the ACC! 

3. Will they start the NCAA season on time. I can see the biggest issue being that colleges become hot spots for resurgence of the COVID-19 in the fall causing issues. I could see them pushing the season back a month. 

4. Nick Saban finally learned how to use email? Which maybe makes me think his recruiting is even more ridiculous that he doesn't do the social media stuff. 

hi-res-52d6426354f7192b25a6a65e64550bd2_

Nick Saban is one of the most accomplished college football coaches in history, but he isn't exactly tech savvy. Or at least he wasn't until the...

5. Minnesota ranked 5th in recruiting! Lets go Minnesota! I hope they get a few more to sign and end up with a top 25 class. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm really excited to see what this new pair of strength and conditioning coaches bring to the table for Alabama.  For all of the bluster about Scott Cochran's greatness, we have had a ton of pre-season injuries over the last few years that have torpedoed our seasons before they've even gotten started, especially in our linebacker corps.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

2 minutes ago, bwdial said:

I'm really excited to see what this new pair of strength and conditioning coaches bring to the table for Alabama.  For all of the bluster about Scott Cochran's greatness, we have had a ton of pre-season injuries over the last few years that have torpedoed our seasons before they've even gotten started, especially in our linebacker corps.

Just looking at player development, I think OSU's S/C coach is the best. Hardly anyone gets injured preseason at OSU. The players look good. They seem to never look tired in the 4th quarter of any game. 

To me, that is the most important coach besides a head coach. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

40 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Just looking at player development, I think OSU's S/C coach is the best. Hardly anyone gets injured preseason at OSU. The players look good. They seem to never look tired in the 4th quarter of any game. 

To me, that is the most important coach besides a head coach. 

That's where we were light years ahead a few years back, but we had slipped back into the pack as of late.  I know Cochran's head was turned when Smart left, and I can't help thinking that caused a lack of focus.  What you described was exactly where we were from 2009 through about 2017, but the pre-season injuries started piling up and we haven't come into the fall with a full complement of linebackers since.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• 4 months later...

B10 is back! Lets GO!!! 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 3 months later...

Justin Fields takes one of the biggest hits I've seen in a long time.

Then ends up with only 6 incompletions the whole game and throws for 6 TD's. Maybe one of the gutsiest performances by a QB I've ever seen. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

6 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Justin Fields takes one of the biggest hits I've seen in a long time.

Then ends up with only 6 incompletions the whole game and throws for 6 TD's. Maybe one of the gutsiest performances by a QB I've ever seen. 

That wasn't the first time that defender was ejected for targeting.    Vicious hit.   Fields will be sore for a few days or more.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

I don't know about that one. The hit didn't look that bad, and Fields was a runner at that point, and the hit was to the side of the helmet and the shoulder, below the shoulders of the runner, and so I don't understand how it's an illegal hit either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

49 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't know about that one. The hit didn't look that bad, and Fields was a runner at that point, and the hit was to the side of the helmet and the shoulder, below the shoulders of the runner, and so I don't understand how it's an illegal hit either.

Agree. It was just a good hard tackle. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I would say yes except for the area of the body The tip of the helmet hits you right between the ribs and the hip, just towards the lower back. When you are running a 18-20 mph. I think these hits are worse than if you get ran over by a defensive player who goes full speed but puts his shoulder pads into your chest. At least it's padding into padding. Lots of space to spread out that hit. Versus the tip of the helmet into a non-padded area of the body. 

As for the rule. You can not hit anyone with the tip of your helmet. It has nothing to do with QB versus non-QB here. This is a general rule for college football. The player hit him with the helmet, not any part of the shoulder pads. This rule doesn't get called that much in college football. I've seen it twice in the past 10 years. More common is getting hit in the head area. That can happen every other game. 

You can tell that he never got any shoulder pad because Fields just bounces off his helmet and the guy never really gets to wrap up like you see if he actually hits with the shoulder pads. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 10.37.24 AM.png

See, there is plenty of space (about a head's length) from fields and the shoulder pads of the Clemson player. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 10.37.34 AM.png

Also, this penalty is for the safety of the defensive player as much for the offensive player. What if the defensive player's spine compresses and he has to be carted off the field? It's very dangerous to hit like this. This is nothing more than him running straight into a wall with the top of his head. If you are going to hit with your head down, you better be sure you are putting your shoulder pads into him. As I heard someone mention, "See what you hit and hit what you see". You are not seeing anything but the ground in this hit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

5 hours ago, dennyjones said:

That wasn't the first time that defender was ejected for targeting.    Vicious hit.   Fields will be sore for a few days or more.

Why didn't they send that guy to the locker room to reflect on what he had done? I thought it was ridiculous that he was on the sideline watching the rest of the game.

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Isn't that spearing? Very dangerous and how people became crippled back in the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

As a Michigan fan, it is really discouraging how that program is floundering. They flat out stink.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

31 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Why didn't they send that guy to the locker room to reflect on what he had done? I thought it was ridiculous that he was on the sideline watching the rest of the game.

Isn't that spearing? Very dangerous and how people became crippled back in the day.

Daryl Stingley from the Pats was paralyzed from spearing. But he was in a defenseless receiver position. The QB was a runner here and turned before impact. I will add that this it very dangerous tackling form for the safety. He could have broke his neck. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Daryl Stingley from the Pats was paralyzed from spearing. But he was in a defenseless receiver position. The QB was a runner here and turned before impact. 

We were warned about spearing more from the standpoint of crippling yourself if you used your head for tackling. That was one of the first things we learned in Junior High where our program started.

kind of like diving into water hen you can’t see the bottom. I knew an amazing swimmer who had to spend his teen years and beyond in a wheelchair from that.

Edited by Carl3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Carl3 said:

We were warned about spearing more from the standpoint of crippling yourself if you used your head for tackling. That was one of the first things we learned in Junior High where our program started.

I played rugby. You never led with your head!😜

Scott

My Swing Thread

(edited)
28 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Daryl Stingley from the Pats was paralyzed from spearing. But he was in a defenseless receiver position. The QB was a runner here and turned before impact. I will add that this it very dangerous tackling form for the safety. He could have broke his neck. 

Doesn’t matter if the runner turns, don’t dip your head like that. Yes, That is bad tackling form. It’s old school technique that is dangerous for him. 

Edited by saevel25
  • Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Doesn’t matter if the runner turns, don’t dip your head like that. Yes, That is bad tackling form. It’s old school technique that is dangerous for him. 

Absolutely.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!