IGNORED

Help Me on My Ball Quest

Note: This thread is 1404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the longest time I have used golf balls that I could find in the bush or if I was really lucky used ones that I could find on Kijiji. That much said I have a deep Abiding Love for the TaylorMade noodle. I also love the stopping power of my Pro-V ones and tp5. I know that with the noodle I don't have to swing hard and it's going to go barreling down the Fairway straight as an arrow with good distance. The only issue I have with them is around the greens where if you hit a 50 yard pitch shot or 100 yard pitch shot you have to account for the fact that this ball is extremely low spin so when it hits the green it wants to roll and Roll and Roll and Roll. Practically I have found a solution by always dropping my pitches about two yards in front of the green and letting the ball bounce and roll towards the flag. In essence this works but as I have started to test newer balls the stopping power of the Pro V and tp5 shows me that's if I can be accurate with my distances I have a better shot of the ball stopping near the hole. That much said using the noodles I know that if I start the ball short of the green then it's not going to roll over the green. whereas with Pro V1 and tp5 the trade-off is if you hit it short then you have no chance to recover on the bounce and roll like you do with a noodle.

So if you can think the ball that has noodle like flight characteristics in that is just deadly straight but has a similar stopping pattern as the Pro V1 I would be grateful.

In addition if anyone has ever seen a video or a chart with the noodle with launch monitor data I would love to see it

WITB

Cobra  Wishon 911 D FMAX 10.5 ,EQ-NX 4W, 7W, 4H/6H, 7-LW

Biomech Acculock Ace Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why can’t you hit the ProV1 down the middle with good distance like you do the Noodle? I’m not trying to be an ass here but it’s pretty unusual for a 32hcp to have such a disparity between balls. That’s the whole idea with premium balls. Distance plus stopping power.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

After reading your post I too expected to see a Low sub 10-HC ....

But 32 ? surely you must lose a few if you have a good power hitting ...prob best to go refurb balls ... I've been using Taylormade Tour Pref-X ...and have found them as good as Pro-V1s in the shorter game ...but a touch more forgiving on longer shots I hit with a much lower traj >>>.  

Guess it really comes down to your swing speed and skills and wallet 

Go Foxy Go

7 hours ago, Themightyoz said:

For the longest time I have used golf balls that I could find in the bush or if I was really lucky used ones that I could find on Kijiji. That much said I have a deep Abiding Love for the TaylorMade noodle. I also love the stopping power of my Pro-V ones and tp5. I know that with the noodle I don't have to swing hard and it's going to go barreling down the Fairway straight as an arrow with good distance. The only issue I have with them is around the greens where if you hit a 50 yard pitch shot or 100 yard pitch shot you have to account for the fact that this ball is extremely low spin so when it hits the green it wants to roll and Roll and Roll and Roll. Practically I have found a solution by always dropping my pitches about two yards in front of the green and letting the ball bounce and roll towards the flag. In essence this works but as I have started to test newer balls the stopping power of the Pro V and tp5 shows me that's if I can be accurate with my distances I have a better shot of the ball stopping near the hole. That much said using the noodles I know that if I start the ball short of the green then it's not going to roll over the green. whereas with Pro V1 and tp5 the trade-off is if you hit it short then you have no chance to recover on the bounce and roll like you do with a noodle.

So if you can think the ball that has noodle like flight characteristics in that is just deadly straight but has a similar stopping pattern as the Pro V1 I would be grateful.

In addition if anyone has ever seen a video or a chart with the noodle with launch monitor data I would love to see it

I don’t see any data on the Noodle ball with some web searches, but it seems to be a softer feeling ball. I am partial to Snell golf balls myself. They are inexpensive and very much feel like a premium ball. Dean Snell developed the ProV1. His Get Sum ball has had very good reviews and is $20 a dozen or 5 dozen for $80 US.

no-image-2048-5e88c1b20e087fb7bbe9a37718

Snell Golf balls designed by golf ball guru Dean Snell. Offering tour caliber golf balls to the everyday player at an affordable price.

From the site:

Get Sum is a high-performance 2-pc golf ball that offers excellent feel and control. 

The core is a large, soft low compression core that allows for the ball to have very low spin rates which increase distance and creates fewer hooks and slices.

The cover is a thin, soft Surlyn® that contributes to the soft feel of the ball. This core cover combination has been designed to help golfers get the ball in the air easier, and reduced spin rates for straighter shots from tee to green. All with fast ball speeds for any swing speed, and exceptional soft feel and control.

Conforms to USGA standards and are legal for tournament play.

Golf Digest Hot List GOLD MEDAL Award Winner!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@Vinsk and @NZ Golfer thanks for your comments and getting to sub ten is the dream.  I am down to about 29 so far and have been losing a stroke a week so far this season.  What I find challenging with the ProV1 is on mishits, which for me happen quite a bit.  I find that the Pro V1 flys sideways more if I toe it or heel it for example where the Noodle is more self correcting.  I also prefer a ball with colour and so bright green or the red side of the spectrum are what my eye leans towards.  I have horrendous depth perception and so hate losing pro v1s due to their cost.   

WITB

8 minutes ago, Themightyoz said:

I also prefer a ball with colour and so bright green or the red side of the spectrum are what my eye leans towards.  I have horrendous depth perception and so hate losing pro v1s due to their cost.   

ProV1's do come in that bright yellow/green. 

I can't see for crap either so I play Volvik Vivid Sherbet Orange almost exclusively. They don't spin as much as some others around the greens. But I've been playing them long enough that's what I'm use to. 

IMO - It's more important to try to consistently play the same ball as you improve than it is which ever ball you decide you are going to play. 

Find a ball you like and can afford and stick with it. Sounds to me like you have confidence in the noodle. So, play it. I think when you do find numbers comparing the noodle to "premium" balls you are going to be surprised that while certainly there is a difference in green side spin numbers. It's probably not as great as you may think. I've played with dozens of golfers who claim their ball doesn't spin enough on short chips and pitches. Then you look at their wedges and their grooves are dirtier than my son's bedroom. Before you blame the ball make sure you are doing all the other things you can do to maximize green side spin. 

This includes:

• First deciding to your really "need" more green side spin. Or does it just look cool to see the ball stop and draw backward?
  • Keeping clean grooves on your wedges
  • Replacing wedges when the grooves are too worn
  • Properly striking your short game shots to maximize spin (if maximum spin is your goal)
  • Have you ever had a short game lesson? A good pro will help you learn how to apply more spin.... even a mediocre pro probably can.
  • Lastly you may want to look at how high you hit the ball; Low screamers never stop on the green. 

Good luck. Let us know how it all works out. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This includes:

• First deciding to your really "need" more green side spin. Or does it just look cool to see the ball stop and draw backward?
  • Keeping clean grooves on your wedges
  • Replacing wedges when the grooves are too worn
  • Properly striking your short game shots to maximize spin (if maximum spin is your goal)
  • Have you ever had a short game lesson? A good pro will help you learn how to apply more spin.... even a mediocre pro probably can.
  • Lastly you may want to look at how high you hit the ball; Low screamers never stop on the green. 

Good luck. Let us know how it all works out. 

Very good points Chet.  I try and keep my wedges pretty clean and wipe everything down before every round.  Because I have joint problems in my hands I am starting to lean towards the Wilson Duo Soft.  Played it last night and it gave me the least reverb of any ball I have ever played.  As I improve and as they become easier to get used I might move to the Wilson Duo Pro.  RIght now that is the direction I'm heading.

WITB

On 6/20/2020 at 1:18 AM, Themightyoz said:

Very good points Chet.  I try and keep my wedges pretty clean and wipe everything down before every round.  Because I have joint problems in my hands I am starting to lean towards the Wilson Duo Soft.  Played it last night and it gave me the least reverb of any ball I have ever played.  As I improve and as they become easier to get used I might move to the Wilson Duo Pro.  RIght now that is the direction I'm heading.

bridgestone-e6-orange-golf-balls-59b.jpg

Bridgestone e6 Orange Golf Balls - FORE Left, or Right?! Straighter-longer shots are the key to success in golf and you'll get just that with the 2015 e6 Golf Balls. Lowest Prices on Bridgestone Prior Generation at Golf Discount

Used these e6 for a season and I'm sure helped some of my more wayward drives ...I agree Duo softs a very nice ball .. 

I started playing social golf around 12yrs ago started on a HC-28 short time frame less than year 20 games etc got to 20... I'd say your be a mid Handy-capper in short time frame if you apply yourself .. sub 10 much harder ... been trying to break it last 4yrs after I had a 2yr break down 12.6  at present .. goal to break this summer (southern Hemp) really all you need is to break 100 to see mid 20's then post a few lower 90's and your be in the higher teens ...

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go

11 hours ago, NZ Golfer said:

Bridgestone e6 Orange Golf Balls | Golf Discount

I tried these.   The orange color was the hardest ball to find in the fairway.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 6/19/2020 at 4:49 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

Then you look at their wedges and their grooves are dirtier than my son's bedroom.

If it is like my son's bedroom then there are some old, empty beer cans sticking out of those wedge grooves.  Happy Father's Day, for better or worse.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

• iacas changed the title to Help Me on My Ball Quest
21 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If it is like my son's bedroom then there are some old, empty beer cans sticking out of those wedge grooves.  Happy Father's Day, for better or worse.

Ha, that's something I get to look forward to. My son's only 9 right now, so no beer cans yet.... Or maybe I'm living in denial. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 6/18/2020 at 8:25 PM, Themightyoz said:

IMO...it's all in your mind...there much difference in distance and dispersion in the Noodle vs. ProV1 performance....especially for a high cap player.

Assuming you don't keep an official cap for tournament play...here's a suggestion...to keep costs down...play a Noodle on a shot where there's higher probability of losing a ball...and then replace it with a ProV1 when the next shot will likely not be lost or/and around the green and putting too.

7 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Ha, that's something I get to look forward to. My son's only 9 right now, so no beer cans yet.... Or maybe I'm living in denial. 

They think they can hide the empties so they roll 'em under the bed.  That's the place to look... 😁

Note: This thread is 1404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!