IGNORED

Finding an AimPoint Instructor

Note: This thread is 1293 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking to find an instructor to learn Aimpoint Express. Is a level 1 instructor (according to Aimpoint's website) fine for this? Is there any value in trying to find a level 2 or 3 instructor?

• iacas changed the title to Finding an AimPoint Instructor
  • Administrator

I’d go to a higher level if they’re available. They know more and have taught more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

I'm considering Aimpoint and have a few of questions.

1) Should I wait until Spring 2021 for the actual training session so I have more time to get outdoors and practice it after I am taught?  My fear is forgetting what I learn over the winter.

2) Is there value to getting the DVDs to view/study over the winter prior to taking a training session?

3) How many training sessions should I expect to attend to be able to use it effectively.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

5 minutes ago, StuM said:

I'm considering Aimpoint and have a few of questions.

1) Should I wait until Spring 2021 for the actual training session so I have more time to get outdoors and practice it after I am taught?  My fear is forgetting what I learn over the winter.

2) Is there value to getting the DVDs to view/study over the winter prior to taking a training session?

3) How many training sessions should I expect to attend to be able to use it effectively.

I don't see a real reason to wait.  To me, the thing you might "forget" over the winter is the feel of different slopes, and you can refresh that portion on your own using a digital level.  The other part of the process, selecting your desired line, is relatively straightforward, I don't think you're likely to forget that stuff.  

I've never seen the DVD, so I can't comment on that.

I took a single session, maybe 2 to 3 hours, and I was able to use the system immediately.  My feel for slope did improve with practice, and I got quicker the longer I used it, but its not a long-term process like changing a golf swing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I agree with @DaveP043. I’ve done two in-person session, one Mid-Point a few years ago, and a refresher with @iacas two years ago with Express. I also have the Express DVD. In person is better because you really get a sense of the technique. 

You can practice the slope read technique anywhere too, like your house. Nothing is level in my house, so its easy! 😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Like the others have said, you'll benefit from taking Aimpoint sooner than later.   I have the DVDs and took an in person class.   The class was way more informative.   You'll learn what the slope percentages feel like and will be able to ask questions.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I know I've asked this before, but can Aimpoint be learned indoors?
I was thinking of a winter learning activity.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

9 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

If the facility has variable slopes available, you can learn Aimpoint indoors.    Most places, at least outdoors, that I've seen have at least 1%-4%  slopes to feel the difference.  

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Sure. I know a place in downtown Erie you can learn it at 😉

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I've emailed two AimPoint instructors and will start looking into getting a class.  One is a Level 1 since 2016 located @ 50 minutes away the other is Level 2 since 2013 and he is @ 1 hour 10 minutes away.  I guess for only 20 minutes longer drive I could do the Level 2.  

The shocker I see is that Michigan has only 3 in the state.  Two are Level 1 and One is Level 2.  I would have expected more.

Edited by StuM
Fix typo

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, StuM said:

I've emailed two AimPoint instructors and will start looking into getting a class.  One is a Level 1 since 2016 located @ 50 minutes away the other is Level 2 since 2013 and he is @ 1 hour 10 minutes away.  I guess for only 20 minutes longer drive I could do the Level 2.  

The shocker I see is that Michigan has only 3 in the state.  Two are Level 1 and One is Level 2.  I would have expected more.

I had to drive about an hour for my first class. The only other instructors at the time were in private clubs.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, StuM said:

I drove about 1 hour to East Lansing for my Aimpoint class.  I was thoroughly impressed.    I've talked to the instructor in South Lyon.   He seems to know his stuff too.  I don't believe you can go wrong.   I hope the weather is decent when you take your class.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I drove about 1 hour to East Lansing for my Aimpoint class.  I was thoroughly impressed.    I've talked to the instructor in South Lyon.   He seems to know his stuff too.  I don't believe you can go wrong.   I hope the weather is decent when you take your class.

South Lyon is the Level 2 I mentioned.  He is at a private club, but hope he can still provide the lesson.

Stuart M.

Note: This thread is 1293 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!