IGNORED

Does Your Course Charge Extra to Ride Solo?

Does your course charge extra for a power cart if you want to ride by yourself because of the threat of Covid 19?  A lot of courses in my area charge close to full price (2 riders) if you prefer not to ride with a stranger or even a friend who hasn't been tested within the last couple of days.

C'mon courses... there's a friggin' pandemic going on.  You could give us a break instead of looking at revenue and profit all the time.  In the long run you will be rewarded for your attention to safety.

• iacas changed the title to Does Your Course Charge Extra to Ride Solo?
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand the value of physical distancing, I understand that it might be mandatory in some areas, I understand that physical distancing could require single-rider carts.  I don't know if its the f

Me?  Wrong?  I once thought I was wrong but it turned out I was wrong.

The question is, does the course have the right to charge a person for a demand that needs to be met because the course is experience a shortage of carts due to COVID and is required to rent or buy ne

• Administrator

I think it's reasonable for courses to do this.

When the law allows you to ride with a partner, ride with a partner. Or fill the foursome (or your cart) with someone you can ride with. Or pay a little extra.

Many courses have enough carts for a pretty full golf course full of threesomes and foursomes.

They don't have enough carts for people to all take their own cart. Heck, if it was the same cost as riding double, very few people would choose to ride doubled up. I wouldn't, not even playing with my daughter.

Also, more carts = more wear on the course.

Now, when the local government mandates it, I can understand them not charging more to take your own cart.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Does your course charge extra for a power cart if you want to ride by yourself because of the threat of Covid 19? 

No. They require it. So there’s no extra charge. The problem is they don’t have enough carts. 

I agree that it's a silly look to have 4 power carts on one hole, and 4 players.  In normal times I actually prefer to ride with others... for the conversation... the camaraderie.  But these are unusual times.  I have friends who won't play at certain courses in my area because of the seemingly excessive cart charges if you want/need to ride solo.  Where's the revenue in that?

18 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Does your course charge extra for a power cart if you want to ride by yourself because of the threat of Covid 19?  A lot of courses in my area charge close to full price (2 riders) if you prefer not to ride with a stranger or even a friend who hasn't been tested within the last couple of days.

C'mon courses... there's a friggin' pandemic going on.  You could give us a break instead of looking at revenue and profit all the time.  In the long run you will be rewarded for your attention to safety.

I definitely agree. I would understand a few dollars more for a single rider, but double the regular rate? Here’s what I’m taking that to mean. At my home course, the member rate to ride 18 holes (for one person) is $17.50. In the situation you’re describing, if my course did this, the new rate would be $35. That’s unreasonable, IMO.

Edited by dagolfer18

I’ve seen a mixture around here. Some courses are charging extra for “riding solo”, although I haven’t seen one yet that is actually doubling the cart fee. One local course asks for an extra $10 to ride alone. 

For me...charge what you can get. If people are willing to pay a fee, it’s not too high. 

5 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

There's a course near me that charges $16 per rider for a power cart.  If you want to ride by yourself there's an upcharge to $28.

That's excessive, at least compared to our area.   I've only rode separate once and the upcharge was only $5 / player.    Most people that I've seen, ride double in a cart.   

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I’ve seen a mixture around here. Some courses are charging extra for “riding solo”, although I haven’t seen one yet that is actually doubling the cart fee. One local course asks for an extra $10 to ride alone. 

For me...charge what you can get. If people are willing to pay a fee, it’s not too high. 

Capitalism.

$16 normal and $25 to ride solo at my course. Only have 50 in the fleet so we’d be out almost every day if we let everyone be solo. Its tough, no doubt, but it is what it is. 

It costs the course the same to send the cart out for 18 holes. It might be slightly higher with the increased weight of a second person (more gas / electricity), but it's basically the same. That cost is divided by 2 with 2 riders, but they might lose money with a single rider. It makes sense. 

With that being said, most courses around here charge the same to ride whether it's 1 or 2 people.

(edited)

9 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It costs the course the same to send the cart out for 18 holes. It might be slightly higher with the increased weight of a second person (more gas / electricity), but it's basically the same. That cost is divided by 2 with 2 riders, but they might lose money with a single rider. It makes sense. 

With that being said, most courses around here charge the same to ride whether it's 1 or 2 people.

Agreed.  Courses definitely would lose money with a single rider at a per rider charge.  But courses need to get on board with the pandemic.  These are harsh times.  I have a golfing friend who is 69 years old and will not play a course that won't let him ride single.  And he won't pay the extra, so he stays away and the course loses greens fee revenue.  Damn!  If I owned a course I'd be advertising that we have no upcharge on a single cart.  Guess where golfers would be going if they want to ride single to stay safe.  Though Phil makes a good point about a course running out of carts if their cart inventory is not of a healthy size.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

My old course charges $18 per rider so there is no up charge as a single. I have a private cart, so does most of those who play regularly. My new club includes cart fee in the membership and they are never fully packed. Most groups are singles/doubles anyway.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

But courses need to get on board with the pandemic.

Disagree. Courses are packed around here.

25 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

And he won't pay the extra, so he stays away and the course loses greens fee revenue. 

Someone else takes his tee time.

36 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Agreed.  Courses definitely would lose money with a single rider at a per rider charge.  But courses need to get on board with the pandemic.  These are harsh times.  I have a golfing friend who is 69 years old and will not play a course that won't let him ride single.  And he won't pay the extra, so he stays away and the course loses greens fee revenue.  Damn!  If I owned a course I'd be advertising that we have no upcharge on a single cart.  Guess where golfers would be going if they want to ride single to stay safe.  Though Phil makes a good point about a course running out of carts if their cart inventory is not of a healthy size.

I’m not sure about your neck of the woods, but courses are struggling to stay afloat here especially in these times. 

2 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

My old course charges $18 per rider so there is no up charge as a single. I have a private cart, so does most of those who play regularly. My new club includes cart fee in the membership and they are never fully packed. Most groups are singles/doubles anyway.

The course I am referring to in my previous post only charges the $16 for a single rider, but they will try to pair you up with another rider, possibly a total stranger. Even sitting 2 feet from a friend, in these times, can be dangerous.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Someone else takes his tee time.

No.  At the end of the day there's one less greens fee.  Courses here are doing well, but they are not packed sunrise to sunset.  If my friend, who previously played there 2-3 times a week, doesn't play it is lost revenue.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The course I am referring to in my previous post only charges the $16 for a single rider, but they will try to pair you up with another rider, possibly a total stranger. Even sitting 2 feet from a friend, in these times, can be dangerous.

Ehhhh…

3 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I’m not sure about your neck of the woods, but courses are struggling to stay afloat here especially in these times. 

Not around here. WW surpassed its alcohol orders for all of 2019 a few weeks ago. And we were without golf all of April.

4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

No.  At the end of the day there's one less greens fee.  Courses here are doing well, but they are not packed sunrise to sunset.  If my friend, who previously played there 2-3 times a week, doesn't play it is lost revenue.

If you say so.

• iacas locked and unlocked this topic
  • iacas locked and unlocked this topic
  • iacas locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • iacas unlocked this topic