IGNORED

Missing Member

Zippo
Note: This thread is 1188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not sure if this is appropriate to ask but I know our terrific mods will let me know if not (and I'll apologize in advance and hope you'll understand that it was just due to a surfeit of care that I even ask this here) - but, I was wondering. I haven't seen a post from a member named @Cantankerishin 6 months or so. Given Covid conditions I was wondering if anyone else has heard from him. Thanks.

32 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I'm not sure if this is appropriate to ask but I know our terrific mods will let me know if not (and I'll apologize in advance and hope you'll understand that it was just due to a surfeit of care that I even ask this here) - but, I was wondering. I haven't seen a post from a member named @Cantankerishin 6 months or so. Given Covid conditions I was wondering if anyone else has heard from him. Thanks.

Think he was banned awhile back with a few other folks. Pretty sure that’s what the strike through means on his profile. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Zippo said:

He was banned for a series of very unpleasant, immature PMs to various staff members. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 1/31/2021 at 4:18 AM, boogielicious said:

He was banned for a series of very unpleasant, immature PMs to various staff members. 

Sorry. I didn't notice the line through the handle and if I knew what you're saying I had forgotten it. I apologize for not researching better before I asked. With Covid and deaths the way they are that was the first thing to pop into my mind. I will try to be more careful in the future. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Sorry. I didn't notice the line through the handle and if I knew what you're saying I had forgotten it. I apologize for not researching better before I asked. With Covid and deaths the way they are that was the first thing to pop into my mind. I will try to be more careful in the future. Thanks.

No worries. It is ok to ask. We have had members pass, so it is a legitimate concern. Thanks.

Scott

My Swing Thread

35 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

No worries. It is ok to ask. We have had members pass, so it is a legitimate concern. Thanks.

Eventually we will all be members who have passed.  Better to pass gas than pass.  About 5 years ago I used to play through a threesome of connected good friends.  Merle, John and Ron.  They were funny.  They were social.  They were not slow.  They were all in their late 80's.  One by one they all died.  I miss those guys... I think about them and honor their memory every time I play the back 9.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

That’s touching and might be the first rash thing we learned about you. 🙂

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

But wait, there's more.  The rest of the story (and it's kinda heartwarming):  John owned a power cart and drove 4 blocks down the county road every morning to the golf course.  He and Merle always rode together on the course.  

John was the first to pass and he left the golf cart in his will to Merle.  And since John's wife survived him she let Merle park the cart at their house, where it had always parked. So now it's Merle driving up and down the road every day.  But Ron was a walker and carried his Sunday bag... always did.  So Merle rode alone.

Then Merle passed and I have no idea where that cart is now.

Ron continued to walk for another year or so (though he told me his heart wasn't in it) and died last Autumn.

Guessing they're all together in Golf Heaven, doing what they always did every morning.

Every time I hear light thunder I look up and figure it's the boys driving that old cart over a rickety golf bridge.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only forum member I know that passed was @zipazoid. He was a writer down in Miami. Pretty funny guy too.

Scott

My Swing Thread

42 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The only forum member I know that passed was @zipazoid. He was a writer down in Miami. Pretty funny guy too.

Would/should there be a way to mark profiles for members that pass on?

Maybe opening a can of worms that shouldn't be opened, but some of us aren't getting any younger and the numbers will only go up over time.  (If there's a way for them to go down, let me know--might put me out of a job!)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

It was not my intent to start any sort of controversy. It's the nature of Internet forums that members will drop off for one reason or another - new interests, lack of time, death. I know my spouse is not likely to log on to The Sand Trap and let y'all know when I'm gone. But, when someone does die and we do learn about it, it is nice to learn that they have passed (and not just dropped out for lack of interest) and to be able to say something good about them. In this particular case, I should have noted the lined out member name but I did not. I can't promise not to make mistakes again but I will be pretty sure not to make the same one.

Otherwise, should I learn of a member's passing - not likely since I haven't met any yet - this seems like the correct place to post a short announcement.

16 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

But Ron was a walker and carried his Sunday bag... always did. 

The first moments I read this as "Ron using a walker and carrying his Sunday Bag". I was thinking WTF?

image.png.c9c25552ae290e419883fd30724c7e87.png

5 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

The first moments I read this as "Ron using a walker and carrying his Sunday Bag". I was thinking WTF?

image.png.c9c25552ae290e419883fd30724c7e87.png

😄 You're going to need bigger wheels on that thing for fairways and rough. Good thing you don't have to rake the traps anymore. It should work fine on the cart paths.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

It was not my intent to start any sort of controversy. It's the nature of Internet forums that members will drop off for one reason or another - new interests, lack of time, death. I know my spouse is not likely to log on to The Sand Trap and let y'all know when I'm gone. But, when someone does die and we do learn about it, it is nice to learn that they have passed (and not just dropped out for lack of interest) and to be able to say something good about them. In this particular case, I should have noted the lined out member name but I did not. I can't promise not to make mistakes again but I will be pretty sure not to make the same one.

Otherwise, should I learn of a member's passing - not likely since I haven't met any yet - this seems like the correct place to post a short announcement.

I don’t think there is any controversy. I only knew about Zippazoid’s passing because we were friends on Facebook. Even there, I didn’t know he’d passed for several months. I think if we learn of someone’s passing, we would surely let the forum know.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!