IGNORED

Get Used to Playing With Golfers Who Get on Your Nerves, or Not?

JuliWooli
Note: This thread is 1143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 minutes ago, darthweasel said:

If I was a jerk at a high handicap...that will not magically stop because I become a better golfer. I will still be a jerk. 

Well said, and you're definitely right but I would rather play against and beat a LH jerk than a HC jerk any day of the week. Unless I spent most of the round looking for his wayward shots and he accused me of slow play at the end.

I'd execute the MF. :dance:

For casual golf, a person can be selective in who they choose to play golf with, but in competition, you have to take what you get. One of my golf friends does nothing but complain, every shot. I used to meet up with him once or twice a week, go on weekend golf trips with him, but he wore me out with his constant griping that every shot should have been better. Sometimes he would get so frustrated he would sit in the cart while I played solo. Finally, I said that was enough and now only play golf with him every couple weeks when he happens to be asked by someone else. That's that story. In competition you don't have this option so it's a good idea to practice patience for when you need to be tolerant. It is an art to be able to play with an undesirable and be successful.

• Like 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always strike up a conversation with the golfer(s) I'm paired with.  Never had a problem, other than the one guy who drove into me. Usually I'll query them based on logos, bag tags, golf ball, cart type, etc.  Gets everything going.  I have found people love to be "interviewed".  I refrain from asking the age-old question, "So what do you do?"  A job does not define one on the golf course.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Billy Z said:

In competition you don't have this option so it's a good idea to practice patience for when you need to be tolerant. It is an art to be able to play with an undesirable and be successful.

Yes I'm am the one who is losing out as I only play in a fraction of the possible tournaments. I have tried the patient, tolerant route and decided that it was all too painful. I did however learn to play very efficiently in this scenario but that wasn't enough. Life's too short, I have much more fun with my regular partners.

10 hours ago, JuliWooli said:

Yes I'm am the one who is losing out as I only play in a fraction of the possible tournaments. I have tried the patient, tolerant route and decided that it was all too painful. I did however learn to play very efficiently in this scenario but that wasn't enough. Life's too short, I have much more fun with my regular partners.

Good points, and it seems like you are content with your choice. Nothing like some casual golf with friends you have fun with.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Our regular group is quite big, and a few of them are arseholes. When they are in my group, I often don't enjoy the round. In rare events I will get 3 of them, and frankly the round is typically downright awful. I know the whole play your own game, but they are my teammates in the game, and I really don't like having to root for them. For that I sympathize with the OP.

However, in tournaments I feel that often the other people are not on my team and I find I can ignore whatever the heck they are doing. I don't enjoy in a 2 man team game where the other two opponents are bordering on love making with the overly enthusiastic high fives, but once they struggle on a hole or two that seems to go away and I can settle into my round.

The best, is when you are playing against someone you enjoy being around. It makes the competition fun. @DaveP043 and I have had some excellent matches in the Newport Cup and I have enjoyed all of them, winning or losing. But playing against someone who is a nice guy and competitive is a blast.

• Thumbs Up 3

Michael

Note: This thread is 1143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!