IGNORED

Problem With Tennis Ellbow, Vibrations, Cobra F9, Thinking About Changing Clubs

Note: This thread is 1095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had major problems with tennis ellbow over the last couple of month. Used the "Corona" break to solve this issue and pretty much rested over the winter. I thought I was more or less pain free now. But when I started hitting golf balls the pain came back after hitting 25 balls (have to use a mat at the moment but this is soon going to change). What I was noticing is the insane amount of vibration when not hitting the ball in the sweetspot. I am using graphite shafts with the Cobra F9 (one length) already. 

My pro was handing me some Callaway Big Bertha (B21) irons for a test and those felt completely different. Way less vibrations. Also graphite shafts. I am not sure where those vibrations come from ? The Callaways are ultra forgiving irons with big offset. The head felt a bit heavier than the ones on the cobra. But I am not sure if the head could be the reason? Or if it could be the shaft ? I am thinking about trying out some other clubs to solve part of the problem. I am quite happy with the one length concept tough at the moment. 

When I hit the sweetspot with the Cobra it feels good, if not it's just terrible. There seems to be nothing in between. With the Callaway I had the impression I really could feel what kind of mishits I was producing. There were many nuances between a very good and very bad shot. I think the F9 is a game improvement iron and the Big Bertha a super game improvement iron? So theoretically the F9 should feel better ? But it somehow does not. 

In the end it also could be the resonance frequency of the shafts ? I am not really sure about that ? 

BTW. I hit the Callway at least 15 yards further than the Cobra. Same loft. That was quite surprising for me. 

A few years back I had pain in my right forearm. Best I could figure was that I was hitting the mat well behind the ball causing excessive impact that transferred through the club to my forearm. Once I managed to stop doing that  the pain eventually went away (it did take quite a while)  Maybe the big berthas are promoting a better swing and thus eliminate the “shockwave” that is causing the issue.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, StuM said:

Maybe the big berthas are promoting a better swing and thus eliminate the “shockwave” that is causing the issue.

I've head that swing weight can also make a difference on this kind of thing. From my understanding the swing weight can make a difference on how you "load" the club. 

31 minutes ago, yanni said:

I had major problems with tennis ellbow over the last couple of month.

There are a number of good stretching exercises that can help with this. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

13 hours ago, yanni said:

I had major problems with tennis ellbow over the last couple of month. Used the "Corona" break to solve this issue and pretty much rested over the winter. I thought I was more or less pain free now. But when I started hitting golf balls the pain came back after hitting 25 balls (have to use a mat at the moment but this is soon going to change). What I was noticing is the insane amount of vibration when not hitting the ball in the sweetspot. I am using graphite shafts with the Cobra F9 (one length) already. 

My pro was handing me some Callaway Big Bertha (B21) irons for a test and those felt completely different. Way less vibrations. Also graphite shafts. I am not sure where those vibrations come from ? The Callaways are ultra forgiving irons with big offset. The head felt a bit heavier than the ones on the cobra. But I am not sure if the head could be the reason? Or if it could be the shaft ? I am thinking about trying out some other clubs to solve part of the problem. I am quite happy with the one length concept tough at the moment. 

When I hit the sweetspot with the Cobra it feels good, if not it's just terrible. There seems to be nothing in between. With the Callaway I had the impression I really could feel what kind of mishits I was producing. There were many nuances between a very good and very bad shot. I think the F9 is a game improvement iron and the Big Bertha a super game improvement iron? So theoretically the F9 should feel better ? But it somehow does not. 

In the end it also could be the resonance frequency of the shafts ? I am not really sure about that ? 

BTW. I hit the Callway at least 15 yards further than the Cobra. Same loft. That was quite surprising for me. 

I can't answer your club question but I'm wondering about your condition. Is it indeed "tennis elbow", (lateral epicondylitis), or is it "golfer's elbow", (medial epicondylitis)? There is a difference. On the chance it's golfer's elbow, which I have had, I can recommend this unit:

Amazon.com: TheraBand FlexBar, Tennis Elbow Therapy Bar, Relieve Tendonitis Pain & Improve Grip Strength, Resistance Bar for Golfers Elbow & Tendinitis, Green, Medium, Intermediate: Sports & Outdoors

I have no affiliation at all with this but exercising my wrists and forearms with this regularly made the pain in my inner elbow disappear surprisingly quickly. YMMV, of course, and I am definitely not a medical professional.

Zippo... golfer's elbow is pure hell.  I essentially played no golf for the last two years because of it.  Basically chipping and putting.   I'm back now but have lost some power.  Spent a serious sum on PT, prolotherapy, braces, chiropractic, cortisone shots.  Not sure which one worked, but I'm good to go again.  Weird thing is my elbow hurts all the time at home... putting dishes into the cabinet out of the dishwasher, opening a bottle of wine, pulling up the blanket, etc.  But it works in the golf swing.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Zippo... golfer's elbow is pure hell.  I essentially played no golf for the last two years because of it.  Basically chipping and putting.   I'm back now but have lost some power.  Spent a serious sum on PT, prolotherapy, braces, chiropractic, cortisone shots.  Not sure which one worked, but I'm good to go again.  Weird thing is my elbow hurts all the time at home... putting dishes into the cabinet out of the dishwasher, opening a bottle of wine, pulling up the blanket, etc.  But it works in the golf swing.

You're right. It can be extremely painful. I don't want to misdirect the OP's thread too far from the original question so I sent you a message.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 9:46 PM, yanni said:

I had the same issue with my left elbow, physiotherapist treatment worked for me to reduce the pain. Then strengthen the forearms and wrists, I'm stronger and pain free and enjoy hitting a golf ball, I looked online for golf stretch and strengthen exercises and now have a routine that helps me. Good luck...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same clubs. I struggle with tendinitis and shoulder problems. I bought Sting Stoppers shaft inserts and they really helped dampen the vibrations. They're usually used with steel shafts, but why not graphite? They're $30 for a set and new clubs cost $1000. What have you got to lose?

Another thing is that the F9s come with Crossline grips which are corded grips and very hard. You might want to change to something like Winn Dri-Tacs in mid-size. I did that too. Between the two of them it really made a huge difference.

The Callaway Big Berthas are likely stronger lofted than the F9s.

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 1095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!