IGNORED

2021 British Open (Players Angry Over COVID Protocols)

StuM
Note: This thread is 1011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?

• Yes
    • No

Koepka has a good finish.

I also realize this might be the first year I'm actively watching this tournament all four rounds.  A consequence of that and my morning routine is that I'm drinking tea while watching this event.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

... and Jordan misses the fairway with an iron.

Reminds me of my last tournament round, I missed only two fairways;  I hit driver on 13 holes and hit 12 fairways, plus I missed one with a hybrid.

Hmm... the tallest player to ever make a hole in one in a major. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

11 minutes ago, Shindig said:

... and Jordan misses the fairway with an iron.

Reminds me of my last tournament round, I missed only two fairways;  I hit driver on 13 holes and hit 12 fairways, plus I missed one with a hybrid.

Hmm... the tallest player to ever make a hole in one in a major. 

That is clutching to make a stat surely. Hilarious stuff. (The last line).

Do you know which iron he used to miss the fairway? Thanks.

Edited by Jack50

1 minute ago, Jack50 said:

That is clutching to make a stat surely. Hilarious stuff. (The last line).

Do you know which iron he used to miss the fairway? Thanks.

Unsure, the announcers just said "long iron" -- they might not have as many people on the ground as they do in a normal (year/situation) event, where the caddy can often signal to someone. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Hmmm I've already seen two eagles today, am I sure this is a major? ;-) 

They haven't mown the rough in two years!? Was this the plan for last year's cancelled event at this course (with I assume one year's growth)?

-- Michael | My swing! 

Dustin Johnson, second shot on a par-5, 271 yards to go... hits an iron pin high (off the green though).   I can't do that in the video game.

Louis's first bogey of the tournament on hole 16 of day two.  Wow.

Edited by Shindig
I misspelled "bogey" :(

-- Michael | My swing! 

Even though JS is only 3 back I just can't see him winning this tournament. He just can't get past his over analyzing and second-guessing attitude. 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

I have thought about this off and on the past two to three years.  We have the "no sixes" challenge (or, if your handicap is high enough, no sevens challenge).  My best round ever was my only no-sixes round, although of course I could imagine scoring better with a six (and a bunch of lower scores).  So I wondered how well a pro could do with no fives.   Obviously one could theoretically have a 72 via 18 fours, but when I see a pro round with no fives (or worse), I make a mark of it (usually saving a picture from the tour).  They tend to be very good rounds, but then again, pros have good rounds all the time.

Anyway, so Louis Oosthuizen had no fives today.   I am wondering if I should gather my other pictures and make a thread of "pros with no fives" or something. 😕  

Louis_Oosthuizen_UKBO_2021_Rd2.thumb.jpg.71b1f05a803bc74a662be5dbdeeb7246.jpg

• Like 3

-- Michael | My swing! 

It seems they keep using the voice of Stephen Dillane for the opening intro segment. That's the actor who played Stannis in Game of Thrones.

If you don't opt to record the series on YouTube tv, you're out of luck. No replays. There seem to be replays on Peacock though.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

E6WX_NoXMAMZq_l.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

Even though JS is only 3 back I just can't see him winning this tournament. He just can't get past his over analyzing and second-guessing attitude. 

So... he is three back after rounds of 65 and 67, but, as usual, you contort yourself into a position where you have to find fault, make some incomprehensible analysis and invent negatives where none exist. If he wasn't mic'd up you wouldn't have a fricking clue what he was or wasn't second guessing. Or merely discussing with his caddy. 

Oh..... you forgot to add that he is using the "rock hard" (in your words) ProV1. An obvious fail on his part.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

22 minutes ago, Shorty said:

So... he is three back after rounds of 65 and 67, but, as usual, you contort yourself into a position where you have to find fault, make some incomprehensible analysis and invent negatives where none exist. If he wasn't mic'd up you wouldn't have a fricking clue what he was or wasn't second guessing. Or merely discussing with his caddy. 

Oh..... you forgot to add that he is using the "rock hard" (in your words) ProV1. An obvious fail on his part.

Wow, quite a divisive approach for my simple comment. I just think, like many do, Jordan has immense talent but cuts it short with his over- analyzing. Yes, if he wasn't mic'd up we wouldn't know so much about his attitude, but he is mic'd so we do know. To drag a comment about the Pro V1 into this thread is low.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I just think, like many do, Jordan has immense talent but cuts it short with his over- analyzing.

I don’t think that’s a thing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Wow, quite a divisive approach for my simple comment. I just think, like many do, Jordan has immense talent but cuts it short with his over- analyzing. Yes, if he wasn't mic'd up we wouldn't know so much about his attitude, but he is mic'd so we do know. To drag a comment about the Pro V1 into this thread is low.

How long have you been playing and following golf?  Spieth has been like this since he was an amateur. What is your reason for seeing it as a negative.

Are you going to feel validated if he comes second? What is the reason for your negativity about someone who has reinvigorated his game and is playing really, really well?

As for the ProV1 comment, I use it as evidence of your depth of knowledge of the game. It is demonstrated time and time again.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

28 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

With all due respect, I never heard of over analyzing holding back immense talent  to be Jordan''s problem. It's more like having a loose swing, not having the prodigious talent of a Rory Mcilroy and therefore not knowing where the drives are going that's his problem. In fact, he seems to get the most out of his game. Definitely a feel player compared to someone like Bryson Dechambeau, who is an over analyzer. Or you can even say Rory, when it comes to putting, is an over analyzer compared to Jordan. You can't go by comments when the player is miked up. To me, all Jordan thinks about is scoring.

Edited by PeaceFrogg

4 minutes ago, Shorty said:

1) How long have you been playing and following golf?  

2) Spieth has been like this since he was an amateur. What is your reason for seeing it as a negative.

3) Are you going to feel validated if he comes second? 

4)As for the ProV1 comment, I use it as evidence of your depth of knowledge of the game. It is demonstrated time and time again.

1) 50 years

2) When you doubt your decisions it impedes your natural ability. 

3) Yes, but I won't gloat over it. But he has proven he cannot overcome his mental game.

4) Divisive, so I will not respond to this. 

9 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

3) Yes, but I won't gloat over it. But he has proven he cannot overcome his mental game.

I don't see how that's proven when he won a British Open he had no business winning.

Note: This thread is 1011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!