IGNORED

2021 British Open (Players Angry Over COVID Protocols)

StuM
Note: This thread is 1003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?

• Yes
    • No

27ab6e3f0b558833578b91b00f2d90d1

Some are considering a boycott of the prestigious event and others are simply miffed by the regulations.

What do you think about the COVID Protocols at the 2021 Open Championship?

I'll get things started.  I voted "YES" they are going too far.  What is the point of telling players, coaches & caddies that have been living in close proximity for months and most have been vaccinated they cannot share accommodations?  And at the same time allowing @ 80% capacity for fans?  Do testing, etc. similar to the PGA Tour, it seems to have prevented any massive outbreaks for quite some time.  They also claim requirements are for Contact Tracing, if you know who is in the house, RV, etc. Contact Tracing should not be that hard.  By making them separate they may actually increase the number of people they come in contact with. 

Edited by StuM
fixed small type

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to 2021 British Open (Players Angry Over COVID Protocols)
  • Administrator

Some examples:

“I’m going to go because it’s the British Open. But I certainly thought about not going. I just can’t believe with the numerous examples of successfully run safely held tournaments and majors here that they can’t figure out a better situation,” the player said.

“If someone on your plane tests positive on way to the British and is sitting anywhere close to you, you’re out no questions asked, no matter if you’re vaccinated. It’s aggravating that they deem the tournament safe enough for 32,000 fans a day to attend, but won’t let a player’s wife, children travel and watch the tournament, nor will they even let players visit a restaurant without threat of disqualification.”

and

According to the note sent by the R&A to players, caddies and coaches, those on different player teams will not be allowed to stay together, which makes things difficult for many who travel in support of players.

“The up-to-four persons [regulation] within private rental accommodation must be included within the players’ own support group … For example, multiple players or multiple caddies are not permitted to share private self accommodation,” the R&A email read. “We recognise this is difficult for many that used to share during the championship but the Government’s strict contact tracing requirements mean that this will not be possible in 2021.

and

The potential for being ousted from the tournament has players angry, especially in light of the eased restrictions for patrons. The R&A recently announced that up to 32,000 fans will be able to attend each day at Royal St George’s — that’s 80 percent of the typical 40,000 spectators allowed on the site.

“They care more about the revenue of the fans buying beers than they do about the actual people participating in the tournament,” said the player who spoke with Golfweek. “Any fan can go to a grocery store or a restaurant and we can’t. Does that make sense? And I’m vaccinated. How does that make sense?”

So, I voted "yes."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There are a number of places in the article that references government requirements.  I took a quick look through Google, and see that the UK does still have significant restrictions on travelers, including proof of vaccination, testing, and quarantine in some situations.  Those restrictions are going to apply to anyone visiting the country for the tournament.  They are facing a surge in new cases, apparently associated with the Delta variant. 

Given all that, its hard to blame the R&A if they're following current government guidelines and restrictions.  And I honestly don't know whether the government policies are excessively restrictive, given the surge this spring from the Alpha variant, and the current surge from Delta.  I'm just barely on the side saying the restrictions aren't too far, given the current situation in the UK.

• Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I don’t think they are following the science there. We have to rely on that. I voted yes. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

One of the great frustrations of the pandemic is the inconsistencies in rules and restrictions that the various authorities (government or otherwise) put in place. Having the crowds at 80% at the same time as implementing some of these other rules certainly seems inconsistent.

As @DaveP043 points out, the situation in the UK is different from the situation here. I don't feel like I know enough about it to bash them too much.

Making the trip to The Open has always been something of a hassle for American golfers and the Covid just makes it more so. I wouldn't necessarily blame a player if he decided to stay home.

If the UK is that concerned, maybe they should just postpone this year's British Open. If the Delta variant is roaming around as they say it may be a good idea just to not have it. I don't see how the restrictions they speak of make it any safer.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

34 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

There are a number of places in the article that references government requirements.  I took a quick look through Google, and see that the UK does still have significant restrictions on travelers, including proof of vaccination, testing, and quarantine in some situations.  Those restrictions are going to apply to anyone visiting the country for the tournament.  They are facing a surge in new cases, apparently associated with the Delta variant. 

I guess if it is Government requirements the R&A has little choice, but still seems excessive.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Just now, StuM said:

I guess if it is Government requirements the R&A has little choice, but still seems excessive.

And I don't know the details of either set of regulations, its possible that the R&A is going beyond the government requirements.  If that was the case, I'd really consider changing my vote.  Another factor, to me, is whether the requirements have been in place for a relatively long time, or if they're just recently released.  Its such a quickly changing landscape that the current regulations seem to have caught a lot of the "team members" unawares.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Yep.  Ridiculous.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

@StuM and @DaveP043 pretty much have it covered: if the R&A are simply following government regulations, then there’s nothing they can do. If, however, they are exceeding the floor of government regulations, then that’s different. 

17 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

@StuM and @DaveP043 pretty much have it covered: if the R&A are simply following government regulations, then there’s nothing they can do. If, however, they are exceeding the floor of government regulations, then that’s different. 

It seems odd they would be following government regulations when they’re so contradicting regarding the players/participants and the fans. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Just now, Vinsk said:

It seems odd they would be following government regulations when they’re so contradicting regarding the players/participants and the fans. 

Only a guess, but I bet that the bulk of the fans who will attend are living in the UK already, and the rest will be subject to testing and/or quarantine requirements.  The bulk of the participants and their teams will be coming from all over the world, so their requirements might be modifications of the existing requirements for recent arrivals.  Again, this is conjecture on my part.

Dave

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Ding! 

Follow the money. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Only a guess, but I bet that the bulk of the fans who will attend are living in the UK already, and the rest will be subject to testing and/or quarantine requirements.  The bulk of the participants and their teams will be coming from all over the world, so their requirements might be modifications of the existing requirements for recent arrivals.  Again, this is conjecture on my part.

Sure, but the week before, players can do a LOT more together - live in the same hotels/houses, eat meals together, ride in the same cars, etc. - but then they show up (possibly after driving together to get to the UKBOPBHMTQ) and then have to split up into separate hotel rooms without going out to get groceries, even if fully vaccinated?

This feels like a stretch. Trust the science.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

FWIW, I live in Australia and my mother, in her 90s, lives in the UK. I am not allowed to visit the UK. This is not a golf issue, it is a government/health issue.

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

Yep.  Ridiculous.

Anything that's designed to mitigate the spread of a deadly virus is "ridiculous" in your eyes. I bet you think your "freedom" is being compromised.

• Like 2

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

UKBOPBHMTQ

This is a NLU acronym right? What does it stand for again?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

This is a NLU acronym right? What does it stand for again?

UK British Open presented by her majesty the queen?

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

42 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

UK British Open presented by her majesty the queen?

Thanks! God save the queen.

• Funny 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 1003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!