IGNORED

Repairing a Hybrid With a Dented Head

Note: This thread is 1001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know this is a rare bird and there may not be any help other than trashing the head after pulling the shaft.  On a whim, I found a Ping G400 4h real cheap on the 'bay ($30 plus $15 so I am about $ 50 in).  I knew there were some serious scratches on top, but did not really look at the photos to notice it has a major dent on the top near the toe side.  It is on the way here, so I don't have any actual photos to share.  Here is the photo from the auction.  My real questions are - can the head be repaired (I have been researching this and there is not a lot out there as it relates to golf clubs)?  If repaired, does it become a "non-conforming" club per USGA rules, I don't think it matters as I am not planning to enter any tourney's any time soon.  This may be a grand adventure as I have read that applying heat with a heat gun, followed by Dust-It type spray (CO2) to super chill will get the metal to move.  Will have to see....

s-l1600.jpg

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’m not an expert on this subject by any means but I would say no it can’t be fixed. Caught my attention because I have the g400 3h and it’s a great club. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

No clue how to repair something like that, but I am wondering how a club gets a dent like that in it. That is a serious crater.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

3 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

I’m not an expert on this subject by any means but I would say no it can’t be fixed. Caught my attention because I have the g400 3h and it’s a great club. 

I also have the G400 3h - love it.  Thinking “if” it can be “undented”, it would compliment the 3h….when it arrives, I will document the journey of attempted repair…

3 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

No clue how to repair something like that, but I am wondering how a club gets a dent like that in it. That is a serious crater.

Wondered the same thing…maybe once here a closer exam will give some clues.

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

3 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I can come up with a couple of ways I’m sure.

• Funny 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I was thinking the exact same thing

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Would love to hear any ideas…

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

1 minute ago, WillieT said:

Swinging it into a solid object would probably do it.

Like a rock or a tee marker or something.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

7 minutes ago, WillieT said:

Pretty sure @billchao meant how to create the dent, not repair it

• Funny 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Swinging it into a solid object would probably do it.

Like a rock or a tee marker or something.

Just now, woodzie264 said:

Pretty sure @billchao meant how to create the dent, not repair it

You guys are killing me, Smalls!  

• Funny 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

5 hours ago, WillieT said:

I know this is a rare bird and there may not be any help other than trashing the head after pulling the shaft.  On a whim, I found a Ping G400 4h real cheap on the 'bay ($30 plus $15 so I am about $ 50 in).  I knew there were some serious scratches on top, but did not really look at the photos to notice it has a major dent on the top near the toe side.  It is on the way here, so I don't have any actual photos to share.  Here is the photo from the auction.  My real questions are - can the head be repaired (I have been researching this and there is not a lot out there as it relates to golf clubs)?  If repaired, does it become a "non-conforming" club per USGA rules, I don't think it matters as I am not planning to enter any tourney's any time soon.  This may be a grand adventure as I have read that applying heat with a heat gun, followed by Dust-It type spray (CO2) to super chill will get the metal to move.  Will have to see....

s-l1600.jpg

I don't know if it can be repaired and if it's even worth repairing. That said, the metal in the dented area has been severely stretched so it will need to be shrunk to get it back. I think you're on the right track with heat and cold but I see a couple of potential issues. First, I'm not certain a heat gun will heat a small enough area and, second, it actually needs to "bubble" out a bit in the opposite direction of the dent - if that makes sense. I think you can get it to come back some but I don't think it'll "pop" back with the rounded shape it should have.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

9 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Give Continental Golf a look.   I've had them repair a driver head that I dropped on the garage floor and they were exceptional.  

Facebook

Website

Thanks - they are literally a couple hours away.  Once I have the club in hand I will check with them to get their input.

9 hours ago, Zippo said:

I don't know if it can be repaired and if it's even worth repairing. That said, the metal in the dented area has been severely stretched so it will need to be shrunk to get it back. I think you're on the right track with heat and cold but I see a couple of potential issues. First, I'm not certain a heat gun will heat a small enough area and, second, it actually needs to "bubble" out a bit in the opposite direction of the dent - if that makes sense. I think you can get it to come back some but I don't think it'll "pop" back with the rounded shape it should have.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Thanks - will keep all posted.  I do have a propane torch that I can use for more centralized heat….It will mean repainting the top as well, already picked up the matching color….

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

15 hours ago, WillieT said:

I knew there were some serious scratches on top, but did not really look at the photos to notice it has a major dent on the top near the toe side.  It is on the way here, so I don't have any actual photos to share.  Here is the photo from the auction.  My real questions are - can the head be repaired (I have been researching this and there is not a lot out there as it relates to golf clubs)?  If repaired, does it become a "non-conforming" club per USGA rules, I don't think it matters as I am not planning to enter any tourney's any time soon.

My suggestion would be to try the club once you receive it and see how it performs.  If there aren't any issues, treat it as cosmetic damage and ignore it.  Attempting to fix it yourself is very risky.  The way these heads are manufactured isn't conducive to home repairs

• Upvote 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

21 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

My suggestion would be to try the club once you receive it and see how it performs.  If there aren't any issues, treat it as cosmetic damage and ignore it.  Attempting to fix it yourself is very risky.  The way these heads are manufactured isn't conducive to home repairs

That is the other option….just clean up the scratches, paint fill them and swing away, given there isn’t structural damage, i.e. visible or audible cracks.  
Agree home repairs are not meant for such, but the tinkerer I me is asking “What if…?”

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

1 hour ago, WillieT said:

Agree home repairs are not meant for such, but the tinkerer I me is asking “What if…?”

If you are willing to potentially damage the clubhead and then toss it, go ahead and attempt it if the club isn't working properly.  If the club is a single metal construction, then maybe the home repairs can work.  If on the other hand it is multi material, the risk is that in fixing one problem, you create another since different metals have different melting points and stress tolerances

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

If you are willing to potentially damage the clubhead and then toss it, go ahead and attempt it if the club isn't working properly.  If the club is a single metal construction, then maybe the home repairs can work.  If on the other hand it is multi material, the risk is that in fixing one problem, you create another since different metals have different melting points and stress tolerances

You may be on to something.  Went to Ping's website and is says the crown is "cast 17 SS", that means a minimum of two piece construction and with them indicating the face is of maraging steel construction now you are talking three metals that will have different reactions to heat.  In working with guys that weld for a living, I have learned that mixing of metallurgies and heat application can be very messy.  The club arrived today and I will try it out and see how it performs. That may have to wait until early next week as the weekend does not look to promising for golf on the course.   

Here's some photos I took after unboxing today.  Took a few swing with practice balls, verdict won't be till later when I can either get to the range or on the course or wait for the yard to dry out so I can set up the net.   Looking down at it, its not as "cratered" as I originally thought.  It may be one of those "its ugly, but it gets the job done" type of clubs...

G400 4h head damage - face.jpg

G400 4h head damage - toe side .jpg

G400 4h head damage - top.jpg

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Amazing what  spray paint will do.   Figured I would try a quick spray with some satin black high heat/temp paint on the head before taking it to the course today.   Looking down on it, was not distracted in the least with the "indention" as the entire top is now the same level of black. 

BTW - the club showed no signs of having any issues when it comes to hitting the ball, its a keeper at less than $50.  

Appreciate you guys offering up sage advice - try it before you destroy it....

G400 4h head painted.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Note: This thread is 1001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!