IGNORED

Sand Valley vs. Mammoth Dunes (Poll)

iacas

Ten Rounds and Two Courses  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Given ten rounds to play at Sand Valley and/or Mammoth Dunes, how do you split them up?

• All 10 at Sand Valley (SV)
    • 9 SV, 1 MD
    • 8 SV, 2 MD
    • 7 SV, 3 MD
    • 6 SV, 4 MD
    • 5 on each course
    • 6 MD, 4 SV
    • 7 MD, 3 SV
    • 8 MD, 2 SV
    • 9 MD, 1 SV
    • All 10 at Mammoth Dunes (MD)

• Administrator

The question is in the poll. FWIW, playing match play…

1. SV 1 up. SV1 makes you think a bit more than the bombs away MD1.
  2. SV 2 up. SV1 is a tougher hole, but this one could be tied. It's really close for me, as I like MD2 quite a bit.
  3. SV 1 up. Just a matter of a par five versus a par three, really.
  4. SV 2 up. Reverse of the third hole. Plus SV is a really good uphill par five, which is tough to do.
  5. SV 1 up. Good hole at MD. Par three at SV is really, really good too.
  6. SV 2 up. Hole at MD is stupid. Hole at SV is one of the best.
  7. SV 2 up. Tied, both good par fives. I had a short eagle putt ("settled" for birdie) at MD, and birdied #7 at SV twice in two rounds, too. 
  8. SV 2 up. Both par threes. SV is "blind" somewhat, but good. MD is not blind, but longer and less severe.
  9. SV 1 up. I think the SV hole is a little dumb to go for it, so it's a 4I, SW hole. Meh. MD requires two good shots.
  10. SV 2 up. MD is a good tenth, an uphill par four. But SV has a great par five.
  11. SV 2 up. Tied, both really solid, good golf holes.
  12. SV 2 up. Tied again. Ditto #11.
  13. SV 3 up. Kinda weird par three at MD, but SV has a good uphill par four here.
  14. SV 3 up. Par three at SV is good, and I prefer par fours, but… the ski slope at MD is a bit goofy.
  15. SV 3 up. Good holes on both courses.
  16. SV 4 up. The par three at MD is blind and has a big hill and is a little dumb. The 16th at SV is awesome.
  17. SV 3 up. I like the SV 17th, but… the MD par four 17th is a good hole.
  18. SV 4 up. As par fives go, uphill ones are tough, but SV does it right with a "rewarding" green at the end. MD is just… a little plain.

So, 4-up victory is enough for me to go 8-2 SV vs. MD. It's just more challenging all around, and some of the losses aren't all that close.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went 7 SV 3 MD. 

For me, I thought every 5 rounds, playing 4 at SV and 1 at MD was too much at one course. Really, when both courses are good. I do prefer SV, I would say significantly more. I do like MD. I then thought, going 3 SV and 2 MD was not enough SV 😛. So, I split the difference. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

6 SV and 4 MD for me. I’ve played SV 3 times already and I pretty much understand the shots there if I could just execute them. Something that is tougher to do there than it would seem I think. If I had to play just one of the two courses for the rest of my life it would be SV and it’s not really even close. However, I’d like to see the beauty of MD 4 times even if it isn’t as challenging and thoughtful, just to take it in.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

5 on each course for me. Played 1 round at MD and 2 at SV during the trip. It left me wanting to play MD more. SV is easily the superior course in most aspects except the visual appeal and 'forgiveness' (lol). The front 9 at SV beat the dog shit out of me on both days so my even split is a reflection of my own level of play more than the courses themselves.

As an aside, the 18th hole at SV is IMHO, the best hole in the entire complex. The grand scale, the uphill, trek, the shots needed, the green, the back drop, all make for a very very memorable finish. 

Sooo....... if I may ask - when are we planning this, err... 10-round trip? Heh.. heh.     

Vishal S.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Sooo....... if I may ask - when are we planning this, err... 10-round trip? Heh.. heh.     

Seeing as how they're booked through 2034 right now… When we'll all be playing from the 5600-yard tees? 🙂

• Funny 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Seeing as how they're booked through 2034 right now… When we'll all be playing from the 5600-yard tees? 🙂

Are you serious???? Holy cow! Word must have spread that we graced the grounds and loved it... 🤣. That is just nuts. I guess they took the stop sign off the one-month advanced booking max. 

I would play there in 35 deg. weather.. just sayin'..

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Are you serious???? Holy cow! Word must have spread that we graced the grounds and loved it... 🤣. That is just nuts. I guess they took the stop sign off the one-month advanced booking max. 

They're booked almost all the way through 2023.

And the one-month thing is only true for people not staying on the property.

• 1 year later...

Just booked end of August for a buddy trip. 4 days.

Any opinion on the current agenda?

Day 1 afternoon: Lido
Day 2: morning: Mammoth afternoon: SV
Day 3: morning: :Mammoth afternoon: SV
Day 4: morning: Mammoth

Thanks!

• Like 1

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Thanks!

Where am I meeting you again?

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, chspeed said:

Thanks!

I’m offended you didn’t contact me. I would have picked you up and we could have carpooled to the airport 😉

I suggest making time for The Sandbox.

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, chspeed said:

Thanks!

Add the Sandbox, like @billchao said. Also, Mammoth and SV are not easy walks, so 2 36 hole days is going to be a lot. I think Lido is much flatter, so probably an easier walk. you might want to think about doing the Sandbox instead of a second 18.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

12 hours ago, chspeed said:

Thanks!

Yeah, your legs will be broken by day three but who cares, this is awesome! Have fun man. 

• Funny 1

Vishal S.

8 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Add the Sandbox, like @billchao said. Also, Mammoth and SV are not easy walks, so 2 36 hole days is going to be a lot. I think Lido is much flatter, so probably an easier walk. you might want to think about doing the Sandbox instead of a second 18.

23 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yeah, your legs will be broken by day three but who cares, this is awesome! Have fun man. 

Agree completely with both, this is a pretty aggressive schedule.  I know I'm not in the best shape, and I AM old, but playing the Sandbox followed by one of the full-length courses for 3 days was a strain for me.  Playing Mammoth and SV back to back two days in a row is going to be a lot, but you'll have an absolute blast.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

The Sandbox is just so much fun. Yea, you are going to be getting your steps in. You will have a great time. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

I think it's okay to play the Sandbox once. I might replace an early Mammoth round with one Sandbox round, then make up your own mind about it.

6 to 4 sand valley to mammoth.  mammoth is a good starter course.  it’s easier to score as well. wide wide fairways

also play a few times on the par 3 course. it’s fun and it’s a nice relaxing quick 18 with wedges and a putter

If you need a caddie. - Request Seth Arthur.  great guy and a good caddie. good player as well

If you get away from the resort.  Bullseye is a fun course as well

Stevens point is also very nice course

Avoid Lawsonia.  something is up, the course was just not in good shape a few weeks

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

• 2 months later...

Went on my trip at the end of August. This was, hands down, the best golf trip I've taken. I thought Streamsong was great, but IMO this was a better value and a better atmosphere (which is subjective of course).

We played 2 courses/day for two of the days, and while we were tired, I found the courses easier to walk than Streamsong - maybe because there were fewer sand trails between the holes. IMO, Sandbox was fun, but I could have skipped it. Maybe that's because my short game vanished and I came away with a doughnut in skins. 😃

I loved both MD and SV, no clear favorite. Definitely going back next year.

On 6/21/2023 at 9:43 PM, grubby98 said:

Avoid Lawsonia.  something is up, the course was just not in good shape a few weeks

Damn, wish I had seen this before the trip. We played it on the way up to SV. Disappointing. Course in poor shape and lots of drunk foursomes hacking their way around. I second the call to skip it if you're in the area.

2 hours ago, chspeed said:

Went on my trip at the end of August. This was, hands down, the best golf trip I've taken. I thought Streamsong was great, but IMO this was a better value and a better atmosphere (which is subjective of course).

We played 2 courses/day for two of the days, and while we were tired, I found the courses easier to walk than Streamsong - maybe because there were fewer sand trails between the holes. IMO, Sandbox was fun, but I could have skipped it. Maybe that's because my short game vanished and I came away with a doughnut in skins. 😃

I loved both MD and SV, no clear favorite. Definitely going back next year.

Damn, wish I had seen this before the trip. We played it on the way up to SV. Disappointing. Course in poor shape and lots of drunk foursomes hacking their way around. I second the call to skip it if you're in the area.

How did Lido compare to SV/MD?

Vishal S.