IGNORED

Have You Ever Taken Your Shoes/Socks Off to Hit a Golf Shot?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have You Ever Taken Your Shoes/Socks Off To Hit A Golf Shot?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Ever Taken Your Shoes/Socks Off To Hit A Golf Shot?

• No - I've done some creative things to hit golf shots, but I draw the line at taking my shoes and socks off to hit a shot.
    • No - But I would if it was a tournament and I legitimately thought I could advance the ball by taking my shoes and socks off.
    • Yes - I've done it.
    • I don't need to as I play golf barefoot all the time.

Got back Monday morning from playing 3-1/2 rounds of golf in Vegas. Had a great time. One situation that arose for one of my playing partners was his ball came to rest about a inch from the water. In order to play the shot he would have had to take his shoes and socks off to hit the ball "normally". He refused to do so, even though we were all egging him on. He said he draws the line at removing his shoes and socks to hit a shot.

Thinking about it, I've never done that. But I've seen people do it. I've seen people do it in very casual rounds. 

Myself, I'd probably do it if I were playing a tournament and I legitimately thought it would advance the ball. But otherwise I'd be very hesitant because truthfully the times I've seen guys do it, it hasn't worked out well at all. 

What do you all think? 

Have you done it?
Would you? 

By the way, if you've done it, what was the outcome? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a simple philosophy.  I will never take off clothes/shoes to hit a shot.  I don't care if my shoes/socks get wet or dirty.  I tend to carry another set of shoes and clothes in the car these days and would rather change than take off and put on clothes to hit a shot.  The same thing for me with playing in the rain.  Max I will have is an umbrella in the bag and use that.  I don't do rain gear

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I’ve not.   I’ve had one foot half submerged and trusted the water proofing, but never removed what’s on my feet.  In the summer I sometimes use golf sandals and would be a lot more likely to leave them on and step in water.  

—Adam

In a serious setting, did it once in a HS match back in the day. Don't recall the exact outcome. But know it was better than taking the penalty drop. Not a big deal. 

Seems odd to draw a hard line at never removing socks and/or shoes. But, different strokes and all. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

Definitely have. Had a ball end up on the edge of a pond that had an abrupt drop off to about 2’. I was playing a buddy for money/beers that day and I wasn’t about to give him any extra strokes!! I still bought beers as he beat me so it didn’t pan out. 

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

I've done it for one foot at a course in South Fork, Colorado. One foot in a mountain stream at 8200 ft of elevation in September 🥶. Didn't pull off the shot either, hit it fat and got mud all over me. Made for a good story that evening over cocktails though. 

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I did it the other day in my weekly money game. The ball was 6 inches from the water, I took off shoes and socks and carefully took a stance, choked down and hit the shot. Wiped my feet with my golf towel and put my shoes back on. The weather was warm, I did not unduly delay play, and I saved a stroke. It is probably not so uncommon here in Florida where you have water on almost every hole.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Just now, TourSpoon said:

I did it the other day in my weekly money game. The ball was 6 inches from the water, I took off shoes and socks and carefully took a stance, choked down and hit the shot. Wiped my feet with my golf towel and put my shoes back on. The weather was warm, I did not unduly delay play, and I saved a stroke. It is probably not so uncommon here in Florida where you have water on almost every hole.

Nice! 

I have a very serious question for you guys that take off your shoes and socks to hit a shot.  Do you not lose some grip when hitting the shot in your bare feet.  If so, wouldn't it make more sense to hit with your shoes on and change them at worst

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

20 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

I have a very serious question for you guys that take off your shoes and socks to hit a shot.  Do you not lose some grip when hitting the shot in your bare feet.  If so, wouldn't it make more sense to hit with your shoes on and change them at worst

I don't think that's usually an option. I don't think many people carry a spare pair of shoes with them. So, you have to deal with either soaking wet shoes or take the shoes off first. 

DJ has done it. 

dj-4-1-740x500.jpg.7d0bc65e76ca293a45b11a2b66f39ba7.jpg

2 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I don't think that's usually an option. I don't think many people carry a spare pair of shoes with them. So, you have to deal with either soaking wet shoes or take the shoes off first. 

DJ has done it. 

dj-4-1-740x500.jpg.7d0bc65e76ca293a45b11a2b66f39ba7.jpg

No doubt I have seen pro's do it on TV.  Personally I would rather get my feet wet and dirty and wear the same shoes and socks for potentially 8 more holes till I can hit the clubhouse or if I have forgotten the shoes play the entire round with wet feet.  Maybe it is just me but I don't use waterproof shoes and will still happily play in wet conditions, though I would rather avoid those rounds if possible

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Did it a lot of times, if I have a real chance to get it out and gain half a stroke I definitively go for it.
Water, mud, slippery surfaces, I don't really care. My towel can handle the mess later.  

2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

I don't carry a spare set of shoes in my bag, so this isn't an option for me.  It takes a few seconds to strip the shoes and socks, then put them back on while the other players are hitting their next shot.  I have seen others do it as well.  Golf towels are for more than just clubs and balls haha.

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

I’ve never done it and doubt I ever would……BUT if I were on tour and mega bucks on the line, I would do it in a instant.   Unfortunately me playing on tour is not going to happen, so No.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Never had to but can’t say I wouldn’t if I had the chance.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Yes, I have done it!!  (lol) Some years back- maybe 2006, summer and it was at least 102°.  It was only the 5th hole.  Black shoes under that sun was brutal.  By the 7th hole, I started to play the par 4 in socks, and on the second shot, I was barefooted.  Yes you can feel a little slippage but not much really you immediately become aware of it and get used to it pretty quick.  It was very comfortable and it felt much cooler in the feet.  I didn't go down to the clubhouse at the turn for the obvious reason, but I went on to play through 17th barefooted.  I was in the bunker on 17th- it was okay till after I hit the shot, then then the feeling of the sand in between the toes I did not like very much at all.  BTW, I wasn't alone when I did this, two other guys in our group did so as well.  It was a little private course.  We all got a letter the following month. :-( lol

Fast forward a couple of years later, my family and I visited the island of Kauai, Hawaii, and had the chance to play the Wailua Municipal Golf course.  Guess what?  There were more than a few locals there playing barefoot !! (LOL)  I didn't, but I sure know what that was like.

Would I do that again?  On a very casual day like we had that day, yes, and most especially on a little par three course.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:02 PM, pganapathy said:

First off, this doesn't happen very often and I only did it because it was a money game. I would never do it casually because the real danger is in cutting your foot on something you can't see so you slide your feet around to get to where you can set up. Typically, you are not hitting a full shot as you are trying to advance the ball to a better position closer to the green. Even a few feet in the fairway is ok because depending on where the ball crossed the hazard, you can save a lot of distance. I have only done this a hand full of times in all the years I have played, with last week being one of them. 

If it is just a muddy lie, I would leave my shoes on and hose the bottoms off at the cart barn.  I don't carry spare golf shoes, so a good pair that is waterproof has to do. 

Anyone remember Henrick Stenson disrobing at the Doral years ago? He was down to his skivvies. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I saw a college kid do it at a tournament a couple weeks ago.  40 degrees, 20mph winds, and occasional light rain. Miserable day all around. Not sure what this kid shot, but his team won the event. 

War Eagle!

Note: This thread is 746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!