TST Explores the ShotScope H4 (Stats Tracking Device) and Pro LX Rangefinder

iacas

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

GG never connected there.

The device? Hardware?

Or the app?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

The device? Hardware?

Or the app?

The device and the app. I tried several times when I’ve played there.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The device and the app. I tried several times when I’ve played there.

The device couldn't care less about cell service.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

The device couldn't care less about cell service.

It would blink red then shut off. I couldn’t get it to work there. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

On 5/25/2022 at 4:48 PM, iacas said:

I have an idea. Just clip the magnet to the laces on your shoe. Then just look down for yardages, and tapping it with the butt of your club will be pretty easy.

I'm only 90% joking.

At first glace, it sounds silly, but I can actually see it being a decent idea!  Except for pin collect!

On the GPS and pin collect issue...

Remember that this a a small, cheap, GPS.  So accuracy is not going to be really great.  What should be better is relative accuracy, within a smallish area in a smallish time, as the error inducing factor should be "similar".  But, that smallish period of time can't be too small, as the GPS does have an update rate.  I have noticed that the GPS yardages will change noticeably from the moment I arrive at my ball, and the time I am ready to hit.  So if you pin collect "on the fly", you could be adding some error.

Even in the best case putting stats are going to be a bit fuzzy.  But pausing for a couple of counts before collecting should help.

12 hours ago, jlbos83 said:

At first glace, it sounds silly, but I can actually see it being a decent idea!  Except for pin collect!

On the GPS and pin collect issue...

Remember that this a a small, cheap, GPS.  So accuracy is not going to be really great.  What should be better is relative accuracy, within a smallish area in a smallish time, as the error inducing factor should be "similar".  But, that smallish period of time can't be too small, as the GPS does have an update rate.  I have noticed that the GPS yardages will change noticeably from the moment I arrive at my ball, and the time I am ready to hit.  So if you pin collect "on the fly", you could be adding some error.

Even in the best case putting stats are going to be a bit fuzzy.  But pausing for a couple of counts before collecting should help.

FWIW, I’ve found the accuracy to be pretty good compared to my laser rangefinder.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

I used the H4 again yesterday for 9 holes. It worked pretty well and I remembered to tag my putts. One thing to remember when you putt from off the green, don’t count that as a putt when selecting the number of putts. It then know you were off the green.

Also, since we only played nine, it took me a while to figure out how to end the round. You go to the menu and scroll though to get ‘End Round’.

Scott

My Swing Thread

On 5/28/2022 at 3:54 AM, boogielicious said:

FWIW, I’ve found the accuracy to be pretty good compared to my laser rangefinder.

Are laser rangefinders inaccurate?  I thought they were pretty good for what they do.

The whole front-middle-back distance is pretty useful information that I don't get out of my laser though.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, Shindig said:

Are laser rangefinders inaccurate?  I thought they were pretty good for what they do.

The whole front-middle-back distance is pretty useful information that I don't get out of my laser though.

Lasers are accurate.

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Lasers are accurate.

Ah.  I thought you were saying "lasers don't get you a good distance measurement, this does."  On re-read, this is not what you meant.  Sorry about that.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

26 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Ah.  I thought you were saying "lasers don't get you a good distance measurement, this does."  On re-read, this is not what you meant.  Sorry about that.

No worries.

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

One thing to remember when you putt from off the green, don’t count that as a putt when selecting the number of putts. It then know you were off the green.

I thought it was the opposite, and the software knows to count putts from areas surrounding the green as short game shots. 

af88773ec39c3c052ccf528e5077c0fe15287612

You should include every putt from on or off the green in the PinCollect calculation. This...

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

8 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I thought it was the opposite, and the software knows to count putts from areas surrounding the green as short game shots. 

You should include every putt from on or off the green in the PinCollect calculation. This...

Thx

Scott

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

oooh.  I like that feature.  One of my mild annoyances with GG is that it would assume any shot with the putter was from on the green.  There was a slider to adjust it to "off green," and that would move it back to where I tagged the shot... so their software had the data and elected to not use it until I told it to?

-- Michael | My swing! 

Interesting. I have been doing exactly what @boogielicious said and only counting putts made on the green in pin collect. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Shindig said:

oooh.  I like that feature.  One of my mild annoyances with GG is that it would assume any shot with the putter was from on the green.  There was a slider to adjust it to "off green," and that would move it back to where I tagged the shot... so their software had the data and elected to not use it until I told it to?

But that's understandable - GPS isn't accurate to the foot, particularly amongst a bunch of trees.

• Administrator

Here are some photos of the laser rangefinder.

The case:

shotscope_laser_case.jpg

The case with the rangefinder:

shotscope_laser_with_case.jpg

As you can see, the "hook" part where you put your thumb is quite pronounced. The other side:

shotscope_laser_side.jpg

The lens end:

shotscope_laser_lenses.jpg

The eyepiece end, with the placeholder in place and slightly "out":

shotscope_laser_eyepiece.jpgshotscope_laser_placeholder.jpg

The battery at the bottom:

shotscope_laser_battery.jpg

The top, which has three buttons:

shotscope_laser_top.jpg

The R/B button toggles the display from red to black, the mode will switch yardages, etc. To switch the slope mode on/off, you use the subtle switch on the side:

shotscope_laser_switch.jpg

(Green is in slope mode, covering the green up disables the slope mode.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Got another round in with the H4. I'm not sure about the pin tagging thing. It doesn't seem to work any better than not doing it. Could be because I'm not waiting at the hole long enough for the GPS to ping an accurate location, but honestly it's kind of awkward to just stand at the hole for three seconds hoping the GPS will track my location correctly. I'm probably not going to do it in the future. I did notice that it was pretty easy to know which button on the unit to hit (you have to hit it twice) once I knew what I was doing.

Pulling the unit off the belt clip to tag my shots was fine. It gave me an opportunity to read the GPS anyway. The first few times I did it, I had a bit of trouble getting it back on the clip correctly. Even dropped it once. I found myself doing a mix of tagging my putter with the unit in my hand and tagging with it still on my belt, whichever felt more natural at that given moment.

So far I really like it. It feels very similar to using Game Golf Classic. I think for those people who liked Game Golf, this is a pretty good replacement.

• Thumbs Up 4

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread