IGNORED

How to Determine Correct Wedge Shafts

At the beginning of the year I was fitted for 75 gram iron shafts (65 y/o with left hand pain during 2021 season). My Vokey wedges have the stock steel shafts. It seems to me that my wedge play, especially gap and full sand wedge, has not been very good this year. At a lesson, my pro, who is not a fitter, suggested that I should put lighter shafts in the wedges to play closer to my irons.  Of course, I am paralyzed but analysis to choose a wedge shaft. I don’t know of a fitter who does outdoor wedge fittings in the Northeast, so here I am, looking for advice.  Does anyone have any advice?

Driver - Callaway Razr

3-wood - TM Stealth

7-wood - Titleist 

Irons - 5 through PW, Epon 503

Vokey Wedges

Putter - Odyssey TriHot 2

45 minutes ago, hunterdog said:

At the beginning of the year I was fitted for 75 gram iron shafts (65 y/o with left hand pain during 2021 season). My Vokey wedges have the stock steel shafts. It seems to me that my wedge play, especially gap and full sand wedge, has not been very good this year. At a lesson, my pro, who is not a fitter, suggested that I should put lighter shafts in the wedges to play closer to my irons.  Of course, I am paralyzed but analysis to choose a wedge shaft. I don’t know of a fitter who does outdoor wedge fittings in the Northeast, so here I am, looking for advice.  Does anyone have any advice?

I always thought you should play wedge shafts that are slightly heavier than your irons. They’re better for feel on off speed swings that you make more of with wedges.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...
On 8/2/2022 at 8:31 AM, billchao said:

I always thought you should play wedge shafts that are slightly heavier than your irons. They’re better for feel on off speed swings that you make more of with wedges.

I'm debating the same thing, and from what I have gathered I'm leaning toward using the same shafts but in a stiff flex (current in Regular)  for that very reason - improved feel and control.

Edited by bking

On 8/2/2022 at 7:43 AM, hunterdog said:

At the beginning of the year I was fitted for 75 gram iron shafts 

If these are working out, call your contact and ask for the wedge version of the shaft if there is one or you could go with what's in your pw.  Vokey stock wedges are Dynamic Gold S200 and will play really heavy at @130 grams. At 75 grams for your irons, your wedges should be close, but generally not more than 10 grams more if you want a heavier feel. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Several instructional videos I've seen recently say to use same brand and model shaft for your wedges as your irons, just a notch softer.

In my case, I use same shaft as my irons for those wedges I will definitely be doing full swings. 

On 8/2/2022 at 6:43 AM, hunterdog said:

My Vokey wedges have the stock steel shafts.

OK, that means you have taper-tip shafts (0.355" diameter tip).

I switched to graphite shafted Mav MAX irons last summer. Catalyst 60 5.5 R-flex shafts, ~70 grams pre-cut. /

My legacy MD wedges (taper tip) still had decent grooves. So, I refit them with Catalyst 80.CW 6.0 S-flex shafts, 85 grams uncut. Reshafted wedges have worked out very well. Distance now much more consistent, especially on partial wedges.

Don't be afraid of stiff on slightly heavier graphite wedge shafts. This helps out my spin. (This comes from valuable advice by @Howard Jones).

Edited by WUTiger
Premature "Save."

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently playing 2019 Apex pro with Steelfiber fc95. I purchased those irons with graphite shafts, because of arthritis in my hands. I really like the feel and playability of the Steelfiber. I replaced the s200's, in my SM6 Vokey 50, 54, 58, with Steelfiber CW110 shafts and like the reduces weight and added touch I get on short chips and pitches.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:31 AM, billchao said:

I'm late to this party, but I agree with Bill.

Having typed that, Shot Scope keeps telling me that my wedge play is the second weakest part of my game. ... So, there's that. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

37 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm late to this party, but I agree with Bill.

Having typed that, Shot Scope keeps telling me that my wedge play is the second weakest part of my game. ... So, there's that. 

Yes, take advice from the two guys on the forum with the worst short game. That will get you far 😃

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Another idea might be, if you ever gotten fitted for irons, call up the iron shaft company and ask their recommendation? They might know what the correct thing might be, like cutting down an 8 iron shaft, or using their brand of wedge shaft. Maybe call the person who fitted you for irons. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yes, take advice from the two guys on the forum with the worst short game. That will get you far 😃

I remember when I lived in Chicago, Ron Santo used to do commercials for a shoe store. 
At the time Ron Santo had no feet. They were amputated due to type one diabetes. 

Me giving wedge advice is akin to Ron Santo giving shoe advice. 

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Another idea might be, if you ever gotten fitted for irons, call up the iron shaft company and ask their recommendation? They might know what the correct thing might be, like cutting down an 8 iron shaft, or using their brand of wedge shaft. Maybe call the person who fitted you for irons. 

Lots of places do straight up wedge fittings. 
I've heard really good things about Edel's fitting process for wedges. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.